eating healthy for me VS cooking for my family of 6

Options
2»

Replies

• ILuvMoo
    ILuvMoo Posts: 41
    Options
    Just me and hubs (actually, right now, we also have his brother living in our spare bedroom), so I only make one dinner... except every once in a while I'll have a night where I really want something that he hates (usually fish), so I'll make him a separate dish of something he loves that *I* hate (usually some big stinky sausage).

Hubs only has a few vegetables he likes, and they happen to be the exact few that I hate. So working veggies into dinner is hard. (Brother-in-law eats nothing green. :huh: Feeding him is like feeding a 22 year old picky toddler.) But it's easy to have a main course that everyone enjoys, and then mix it up with the sides. Side dishes that take effort we usually all eat, just in different portion sizes (such as spanish rice or mashed potatoes). For things like salads or chips or other no-cooking side dishes, it's every man for himself :bigsmile:

Or I'll do things like omlettes for dinner (I love breakfast for dinner) and do custom toppings for each person. Or build-your-own pizza with from-scratch pizza dough (Kitchen-Aid for the WIN!), with a variety of toppings for each person to select from (grocery store salad bars are great for getting a bunch of pizza toppings in small amounts - little ham cubes, olives, green peppers, etc are usually on the salad bar).

My husband has a bunch more weight to lose than I do, but he's still working on embracing the idea of making a "lifestyle change"... he's working on it and he knows he needs to do it, but he's gotta get good and ready... so if I'm cooking slightly more healthy now, that's fine all around, as long as it's still yummy :wink: