Last Supper Syndrome

Options
I've been "starting" a diet for nearly a year. Each day stuffing my face (net gaining) through feeble justification of a healthier me tomorrow, that never came.
I've got the principles to start, MFP app, healthy food, workout gear...it's just the motivation/self love that I'm worth this discomfort to just make it through the first 3 days. (Haha...that's the point where I'm at, a realistic goal is to make it through 3 days without binging)
Any tips? Any Advice? Anyone is the same boat?

Replies

• barbiereynolds701
    barbiereynolds701 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Just jump in! It does take a few days to adjust, but you can never start until you start! :) simple yet so hard! I started a month ago and am so happy I did! I got tired of waiting to lose and started losing!
  • Altagracia220
    Altagracia220 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    You have to start somewhere. 3 days without binging is a good goal. Every time you want to binge, take a minute to fight with yourself. Ask yourself, is it really worth it? Think about how good and strong you are going to feel if and when you achieve your goal. It will get easier the more days you go without binging.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you're not already doing so, start by logging everything you eat/drink. Don't make any changes but keeping a diary will enable you to see exactly what you're eating and how much.

This will make it easier to see where you can make simple changes to cut down calories and start losing weight.

To lose weight you need to eat fewer calories than your body uses. This doesn't have to mean starving yourself or making huge changes to your diet. Just consuming 250-500 calories below maintenance each day will allow you to lose 0.5 to 1lb per week.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I do the same thing. It's a tough habit to break. It's so easy to have a slip up and then go crazy the rest of the day and say tomorrow is a new day. But then the same thing happens tomorrow. I think it's a matter of getting yourself to the point where you say today's the day and follow through. Unfortuantely I can only relate, I don't have any tricks to make it happen.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I understand this completely and now I'm glad I have a word to call it :) I like what others have said here. I guess what helped my mom lose that mentality was replacing it with the "Just do it" nike mentality. By that, I mean why what until tomorrow to start? Start now. Start with your next meal. It does not mean deprivation. Do no deprive yourself after you start. I think too often we suffer this syndrome because we associate with eating for weightloss as "bland" and not enjoyable. It definitely doesn't have to be that way.

I wish you luck on your journey :)
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    meal plan and pre-log. make sure your goals are set up for a realistic goal, and give yourself all the green-colored calories. if something else comes up (let's say... a cupcake), review the food choices you have for the rest of the day, and decide which one(s) you are willing to give up for this cupcake. as long as it fits, you can have it. you might be hungry later, but maybe next time you'll only want half of the cupcake. :smile:

I still struggle with "eating all the foods." this has helped me GREATLY. and, no matter what... always take this one day at a time.

best of luck!
  • hoyalawya2003
    hoyalawya2003 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I came to the realization that, by having "treats" every day, I no longer really enjoyed them. They were no longer special. So I decided that I would stick to my diet, work in treats as I could, and when I couldn't, realize that not having dessert one night would help it to really seem special when I could spare the calories for it.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I agree with PearlAng! According to my MFP log, I started logging food (trying to hit a deficit calorie target) in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday. No procrastination. The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago...the second best is RIGHT NOW!

You also might find it helpful to change one thing at a time. First start tracking what you eat. Then start trying to hit a calorie deficit target. Then work on hitting macros (amounts of protein and fat, mostly--I, at least, never have trouble eating enough carbs) or trying to eat more "healthy" foods instead of only fewer pieces of pizza and ice cream cones. (While, I stress, still enjoying pizza and ice cream when you can and want to! This is CRUCIAL for my success.) Then try moving around a little more. Then maybe get yourself to the gym. Small steps to make it manageable.

Good luck!
  • thecharizardtamer
    thecharizardtamer Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I suggest getting some graph paper, number a line of the little boxes 1 - 24 and fill in a little square for every hour that you didn't binge. Start with one day one hour at a time. Sleeping hours are free! I did this when I loved to drink soda.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I am not with the "just do it" crowd when it comes to your specific situation. It's a daunting task for you to flip bad habits into good ones overnight. I know this from lots of experience with "Last Supper planning", so this might work for you.

I suggest you take it one step at a time for about three days. Begin with logging your food and making sure you drink water. Drink 8x 8oz. glasses. I always have found that if I can just do the water, I feel like I've made a little progress, and I get motivated to do the next thing: plan my meals to cut calories. In those first few days, I also chuck out all the foods I know I can't trust myself with in the beginning of a diet. You know, the ones that cry out your name at 10pm?

I'm not recommending that you don't exercise the first week, but you also don't need to go whole hog. I didn't exercise at all the first two weeks because I had the flu and frankly, I was too fat to bend over without killing my back. So I just casually walked around our large yard with the dogs. I just moved more those first two weeks. You don't need any special workout gear to do that.

Every little victory will spur you on to do more. Drink water and walk for a few days. Plan your meals. Look at healthy recipes and get motivated to make them. Buy the ingredients you'll be needing and get ready to jump in -- but don't jump in too soon. Sometimes the pool isn't full enough!
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    I agree with PearlAng! According to my MFP log, I started logging food (trying to hit a deficit calorie target) in the middle of the afternoon on a Thursday. No procrastination. The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago...the second best is RIGHT NOW!

You also might find it helpful to change one thing at a time. First start tracking what you eat. Then start trying to hit a calorie deficit target. Then work on hitting macros (amounts of protein and fat, mostly--I, at least, never have trouble eating enough carbs) or trying to eat more "healthy" foods instead of only fewer pieces of pizza and ice cream cones. (While, I stress, still enjoying pizza and ice cream when you can and want to! This is CRUCIAL for my success.) Then try moving around a little more. Then maybe get yourself to the gym. Small steps to make it manageable.

Good luck!

Oops, should have read this before posting! I totally agree with this approach!
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    lists, lists and more lists.
    MFP is your list of everything you eat. Start logging every single thing and it really has to be everything. Do you have butter/marg on your bread, log it. Don't go with the "oh it's only X, no point logging that". You don't even have to start your diet on the first week.
    Treat it like any other week and log every single thing you eat and then you will at least know what you are eating.

Next, start planning your meals.
    Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Snacks. Work out what you are going to eat at each meal, 7 days a week.

Use the above plan of meals to make your shopping lists. Consider doing shopping online if thats possible and ONLY buy things which are on your shopping list and therefore part of your food plan. A lot of people buy things they don't need at the shops because its on deal or they fancy it at the time.

There will be days where you want a pizza for dinner or a couple of beers, that's fine. Just make sure you have planned those days and you only get what you need.

If you can't resist the unhealthy stuff when you want to binge then you are just going to have to get rid of it from your house. Likewise if you find yourself going out and buying unhealthy stuff at work, leave your money indoors until you have developed the willpower to resist.
  • imabeevampire
    imabeevampire Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    i lost a stone and since that day ive been ''rewarding'' myself with whatever food i can eat. Keep saying I will get back on track etc, but cant find the motivation like you! Keep at it, one day at a time :D
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    Try to pre log as much as you can, it may help to hold you acountable. Decide that you are worth it and start the change today.
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The best advice I can give is you have to want it. I was very involved in sports for most of life and then when I went to university I didn't have time anymore so I kind of dropped them, but kept eating like I was active all the time. The end result was bad. I sky rocketed to 340lbs before saying holy crap, what have I done?

But then I didn't really want to do anything about it, until one day I did. You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got. It will drain you, maybe make you cry, make you love and hate yourself all at the same time. It's a tough road, but you have to want it. What I've learned is that if you don't want it, you won't do it. It's really that simple. I want to get up at 4:45am every other day and run - I'm training to run my first 5K in April. Me, someone who weighed 340lbs a little under 2 years ago. I want to not feel like crap so I want to not eat an apple fritter every afternoon. It's about what you want for yourself. If you want it, you will figure it out. If you don't, you will find excuses. And that's really true - the things we want the most we find a way to do it, at all costs. Want yourself. Want the health. Want the good feeling of fitting into clothes you previously didn't. Want it all - because you deserve it all.

Start small, but dream big! My goal is to weigh 200lbs (as of now) and I started at 340lbs so losing 140lbs is a big goal, but I broke it down into 2 50lbs and 1 40lbs increments. I'm well into my second 50lbs and I'm pretty happy.

It took time - it took time for me to not want to eat everything in sight. It took time to know when to say enough and get up from the table or push my plate away. It took time to know when dishing out food how much to put on my plate. It simply took time and patience and tested every ounce of will I have. But I grew, and I grew stronger and better and healthier for it.

Give it time, and fight like hell for the person you want. If you don't fight for it no one else will.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Pre-logging does wonders!

Something I did when I first started out was when I had a rough day I added an exercise entry that was custom and said "Maintenance day" which increased my calorie goal to what I would maintain weight at. Although it wasn't going to be progress towards weight loss, it kept me from going really far over.
  • tinascar2015
    Options
    Okay, how do you make yourself want it? That's a question I've been asking myself for over 40 years. The want doesn't come from just thinking about it. It comes from a medical emergency or seeing your weight on a doctor's chart. @Acosaut89 and I reacted the same way to seeing that chart. But years before that day, I was trying to figure out how to want it bad enough. No luck.

Sometimes, you have to put your head down, commit to doing one little thing that is out of your current comfort zone, and work your way up to wanting it. Sometimes, a little achievement under your belt is just the push you need to get in the swing of it. And soon, you will be building a new and healthier comfort zone for yourself.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this helps but I have found once I begin to lose..it only has to be a few pounds, I become much more motivated. Just start and see what happens...
  • crosbylee
    crosbylee Posts: 3,455 Member
    Options
    My difficult times seem to be after work and on my weekends. I can't seem to get myself to log faithfully. Partly because once I get home, I seem to want to eat anything I can find. I have been working on that and trying not to snack while preparing dinner. Weekends are a totally different animal. If I am out away from home, I tend to not make the best choices for myself and what I am trying to accomplish. My main goal is to keep at logging and one day I will get this down. I have to be faithful to the process or it will not work.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'm sensing a lot of negative feelings in your post--"last supper...feeble justification...I'm worth this discomfort." You may not be ready to take this on alone. A good starting point would be nutritional counseling by a registered dietician. You need to find out *why* you feel and eat as you do, then develop a plan of attack for success.

Diet does not have to equal Deprivation. Diet has become a dirty word because it sounds so miserable and self-denying. Instead, look at it as road map for a new "good for me" way of eating and living and thinking. I don't even use the word diet. Everything you do from now on, is for the new you. Replace quantity with quality. Replace doing things the easy way with taking on new challenges. Replace good enough with 'I can push myself to do a little more/a little harder/a little longer today.'

Wait until you feel the buzz after a good workout, or someone tells you you're looking different lately, or your jeans are feeling a bit sloppy in the butt. NSVs (non-scale victories) are like a tailwind as you're working hard to make positive changes. Once you start to see good come from all your effort, you won't see it as a diet that's making you miserable. Change your mindset, change the outcome.