How accurate is the Sodium

Options
dennyman100
dennyman100 Posts: 25 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello Everyone,

The thing that is killing me on MFP is the sodium tracker. I rarely eat out (once a week max) and the rest of the week I cook at home and I rarely add salt to my foods when I do. Lately, I have been making soups so I place all of the ingredients on MFP to calculate all the nutrients. Then when I place the amounts I consumed in MFP my sodium jumps WAY high. I usually do not use store bought stock or bouillon cubes, I eat fruits and vegetables again adding no salt. I just had a physical and it showed no elevation in heart rate, BP, cholesterol, or sodium levels in my blood. So for weight loss should I worry about the sodium readout on MFP or just let it go.

Cheers

Replies

• EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it until your doctor tells you otherwise. Sodium won't have an effect on fat loss. Higher amounts may prompt fluid retention, though, which might seem like there's an effect, but there really isn't.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical condition, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Unfortunately for me, I'm a retainer, so if I have too much, I tend to retain more water.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    You don't have a problem. Don't worry yourself about it.
  • dennyman100
    dennyman100 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Ya i was getting worried because this last week my weight began to jump up even though i had been running and working out. The only thing I could maybe contribute it to was sodium levels retaining the water I had been drinking.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it in the absence of a medical condition. It should also be noted that though the calorie counts for selected data base entries might be correct, the sodium level could be off.

I had a weight loss stall recently and started a thread to talk about it. Someone scoped my diary and found a food I had eaten that had boatloads of sodium in it. Turns out that the entry I chose for baking powder had such a ridiculous amount of sodium that the one food was providing me with 118% of my daily sodium allowance.