For those who are losing...do you use your activity calories

Options

Replies

• GatesOfDelirium
    Options
    I eat close MFP recommendation but never over then exercise in the evenings making it more under. I may have a snack in the evening staying under but not a conscious 'eat back all my exercise calories'....Lost 9 lbs in 6 weeks and feel great.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    If I feel hungry. Otherwise, no.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It really just depends on how hungry I am each day. Exercise actually seems to help curb my appetite a bit so on days I work out I eat less than I do on days I don't work out!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    I eat my calories from my fitbit / HRM

When I was using the MFP database I would eat half - same with machine burns

I agree with this. If you use a HRM and log your food correctly you can eat them all back and still lose what you have your expected loss set as. However, if I use MFP database or machines I also only eat back 1/2 as they are not as accurate as an HRM etc.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    If I feel I need them I will. Depend on my hangry.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    most days i do not. But i eat 1700-1800 a day already. some days if i worked really hard i will eat some back.
  • stevesample76
    stevesample76 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I dont log my activity here. I only use MFP to log my food.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I calculated my TDEE with my nutritionist based off the exercise that I do each week then I chose TDEE-20% for my daily calories. I eat this amount every day no matter how much exercise I do. I am losing about 1 lb per week.
  • susang19
    susang19 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I try to stay under the MFP calorie count and don't eat back my exercise calories.

Thats been working best for me too !
  • JeanMBK
    JeanMBK Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I eat some back, depends on the day and the intensity of exercise that I have done.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Some days I do but most I do not.
  • anna_jewel
    anna_jewel Posts: 127 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I usually eat them back. I have a HRM, so my exercise calories are pretty accurate. I try to eat as much as possible while still losing weight. Esp if this is going to be a consistent and maintained weight loss for me. I have lost 23 pounds so far, 9 pounds left till goal. :)
  • Castrofreak
    Castrofreak Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories, just because I dont trust MFP's 'calories burned' estimates. I just eat my 1300 calories a day and not add my exercise to MFP
  • runner_girl83
    runner_girl83 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    I use a HRM so usually eat back my exercise calories.. Sometimes I leave up to 100-200 cals if I'm not hungry. I find that logging exercise with MFP, the calorie estimates are way off for me. A 30 minute walk will come up around 120 cals on MFP (logged through Endomondo - an app which tracks the distance you walk) and yet my HRM says I burn around 100 more cals than that so it goes to show how the accuracy counts!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I ate all of mine back once I found a HRM/GPS gadget (two, really) whose calorie estimates appear to be accurate (Garmin Edge 800 for cycling, and Garmin Forerunner 620 for running). My old HRMs overestimated calories burnt by 30-50%!

As you get closer to goal, it becomes harder to lose, and you'll need to pay closer attention to your numbers. But if you log food as accurately as possible, you can continue to eat back exercise calories and lose. After losing 65 pounds, I'm now in maintenance, which suggests that my HRM estimates are pretty good. (They are a lot lower than my old HRM and MFP's estimates.)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    It depends doesnt it. Are you happy that your calorie estimates are accurate? The worst of both worlds is to eat calories back that you havent burned because that will have a knock on effect to diminish the deficit and maybe put you in surplus.

Accurate calorie counts are very important.

I exercise quite a lot so have quite high calorie burns. I make sure im properly fueled for the workout. I eat them back depending on whether im hungry. Exercise calories give me that freedom, but you have to do a lot.
  • RoseBred
    RoseBred Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!
  • SteampunkSongbird
    SteampunkSongbird Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I ate most of mine back throughout most of my weight loss but then I hit a 3-week plateau and stopped eating them back to see if it helped. I started losing again soon after that, so now I don't plan to eat them back anymore since I don't do much exercise anyway. When I was eating them back however, I was cutting mfp's calorie burn estimates in half, since it tends to overestimate rather a lot.
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    No, I don't eat them back.