Best exercises for very out-of-shape beginners?

Options
pink_mint
pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
What should I be starting with? My experience is that when I start a beginners/ low-impact workout video, it makes me so sore that I have to wait a full week before doing it again because of how severe the pain in my muscles is. I want something I can do every day that will be both effective enough to make a difference but will not leave me basically injured. Then after a while I can move up to something more challenging as I get stronger.

Videos are my preference right now. Does anyone have a good example of something on youtube or just a suggestion of what kind of workout (with no equipment and at home)? Walking is good and I like to when I can but I'm a SAHM of 3 young children, 2 of who are too old for the stroller and cannot be counted on to be cooperative on a walk without constant complaining.

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Best exercises? Depends on goals.

In general:
    Weighted back squats.
    Rows.
    Presses.
    Step ups.
    Lunges.
    yoga for mo
    rotator cuff strengthening
    running or bike.
  • pink_mint
    pink_mint Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Goals are strength, flexibility, fat loss and mental health.
  • fruitsalad15
    fruitsalad15 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you like DVD's I pretty much always reach for my Jillian Michael's stuff. 30 Day Shred is hard but if you stick with it you can go on to do them all. She has also just bought out a beginner shred so might be worth a look. A lot of her stuff is on youtube too so you can get it for free if you are able to!

If, like me, you have to work out at home when the kids are asleep (and no one else is around to look after them) and you like walking you can search for Leslie Sansone on youtube. They are called walk at home and you walk on the spot and do some other moves. They are not too painful and I think probably a good place to start if you don't like the more high intense moves. I sometimes do them, but I jog, because I have been working out for a while!

Good Luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    There's supposed to be a Walk away the pounds video out there. I think it's with Leslie Sansone. I haven't seen it but have seen it mentioned here several times.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Go to a park, let the kids play on the bars, slides, etc. and purchase a suspension trainer you can mount on the bars. I've bought ones that are only $30 and you can bring them just about anywhere to exercise.
    Kids will be fine to play for 30 min and you can get a strength workout in at the same time.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Yoga with Adriene -- you can do her beginner videos and try her 30 days of yoga series. That got me back up and going after a few months at sedentary + no exercise.

Blogilates -- POP Pilates for Beginners Total Body Workout and Fat Burning Cardio Warmup are good places to start.

Jessica Smith has lots of low impact cardio that incorporate a bit of light strength work.

You can also do whatever videos you've been trying, but just don't push yourself TO THE MAX such that you feel so sore for a few days. Don't finish all the reps, don't go at the same speed, do easy modifications, substitute something lighter when something intense comes on. Then gradually increase effort as your body adjusts a little.

Otherwise, are you really in genuine pain (like sharp, knifelike) or just super stiff and sore? Super stiff and sore tends to lessen when you just push through. My first week on the Blogilates beginner calendar felt a bit like hell every time I tried to stand up, and I thought maybe my upper abs were harbouring a tiny alien that would burst forth at any moment. But nothing sharp, so the recommendation is usually to workout anyway. I did. And I'm glad I did.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    If you like videos, search Youtube for Fitness Blender. They have a lot of beginner/easy videos for strength and cardio, as well as a ton of other videos that are more difficult and work different things. It's a great resource and I'm sure that you can find something on there that works for you, and then you can move on to their harder stuff when you are ready.

Otherwise, I'd recommend going for walks. Take it slow, and then work your way up to faster/longer walks. I'd also suggest aqua aerobics. It's a great workout for anyone. It's pretty much no impact, so great so you don't hurt your joints, and provides cardio and some resistance (you are working against the water, plus a lot of classes do leg/arm/tum work).

Really... anything that you enjoy is great! Keep it up, and soon you will be super fit. :)
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    As a very basic beginner, look for videos on YouTube from JessicaSmithTV... she has lots of short, easy to do workouts (as well as some very intense workouts). I'm not quite a beginner, but even for me lunges are hard and I won't do them. At some point, yes, but why frustrate myself through failure? Leslie Sansone is another great way to get up and moving through very easy step movements (also on YouTube). The best thing is that you can do this in your home and don't need any equipment at all so could fit in a walk while the kids are occupied or napping. Fitness Blender is another great YouTube channel that has workouts for every ability. I really like their Tank Top Arms, Home Upper Body Workout without Weights and Thigh Exercises for Bad Knees workouts.

Don't compare yourself to anyone else- do what feels right for you. Keep a record of your progress- what speed you are walking, how long, number of reps, etc.- and then use that as a basis for increasing the difficulty once you find they aren't as challenging anymore. Good luck, you can do this!!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    oh, good to know that a lot of gyms have a kid's closet to toss them into when you work out.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree with Tekkiechick - Jessica Smith & Leslie Sansone are great. You can find both on YouTube or DVD. I prefer DVDs because (with Leslie especially) - you get newer stuff.

Jessica has a YouTube channel so her workouts are there because she authorizes it. Leslie generally doesn't put workouts on YouTube, so you're stuck with older ones she's not selling many of anyway.

Low impact is great when the kids are napping....don't try 30 Day Shred at that time because it's high impact. 30 Day Shred can be hard on the knees.

To view video clips of workout DVDs.....Collagevideo or TotalFitness DVDs http://www.collagevideo.com/collections/leslie-sansone
    https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/category-s/259.htm

I found the Jessica Smith 10 Pounds Down DVD at K-Mart for $5.00 (mixed impact)
    https://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/10-Pounds-Down-Total-Body-Tune-Up-DVD-Jessica-Sm-p/10pdtuneup.htm
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Someone already mentioned it but Fitness Blender is excellent. You can choose the intensity, length and type of work out you want. Also, walking...just walking can help you start to feel better. I don't recommend trying really hard workouts if you are completely new to working out. If they are too difficult, you may not stay motivated to keep at them. However, my best advice, hire a personal trainer. A really good one - do your research and pick one based on their expertise and experience not their price. It will worth every penny and they will work with you to find something that isn't one size fits all.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Are you active at all? If not, I would start by simply walking. You can control the pace, it is great exercise, it will improve your health, burn calories and requires no equipment. Make it a part of your routien with the kids. Set them goals, like choose a park, playground, library etc that is 20-30 minutes away and go there. Or walk with them to the grocery shop. Or if you are at an area where none of these things exists, set season-related goals, like walk to collect leaves, look at the snails, look at the clouds, collect blossoms and so on. Fitness and weight loss aside, during the periods where I have been a SAHM to young kids, if it were not for daily long walks, I would have gone crazy!
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I like Leslie Sansone videos. Those were the only ones I could remotely follow at the beginning. I tend to do bits of stuff here and there around the house: a dozen trips up and down the stairs, running up them as long as possible. Very simple step arobics for a few minutes using the bottom step. Anything to add a little more umph to daily activities. My mom always did stretches and simple yoga moves, push ups and sit ups everyday. When I was a younger kid I loved doing them with her. It was a game for me and play time on the floor with mom.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Try walking to start out. Leslie Sansone has Dvds you can do at home. Level surface and you can walk in your pjs if ya want! You can also view them for free on youtube.com Once you get to doing more you can more in. Walking is low impact. If you can do stuff in a pool that is great too and you won't hurt as bad.
    Good luck! We were ALL beginners at one time!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Walking.

Just go out and walk for an hour.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Walking has been mentioned a lot, but I would also recommend bodyweight exercises. These will help you build up some strength and assess what you might need to work on most. There's lots of information on bodyweight moves if you google it.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Walking.

Just go out and walk for an hour.

THIS^^^^^
  • newmom_2012
    newmom_2012 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I would suggest walking or swimming. You can add time or speed and build from there.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I started super simple. Walked while my kids road their bikes, or road bikes with them. Turned up the music and danced. My girls loved that. Before I knew it we had danced for an hour and I was sweating buckets. My kids also like doing yoga with me. There are a lot of fun active wii games too. As you start finding what you like and don't like, you can add more. Me for instance, learned that I hate swimming, aerobics and Pilates. I love dancing, kickboxing and weight lifting. I do everything from home. There are a ton of apps out there and endless videos on YouTube. I suggest dipping your toe into everything to see what you like. If you hate it you won't do it.
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I agree with others... especially as someone is really out of shape and just starting to investigate exercise.

Walking
    Yoga with Adrienne
    Leslie Sansone walking videos
    Fitness Blender - they have a large variety. Use them to learn the proper form but always do only what you CAN do.

I have been downloading some basic Zumba videos because I like to dance. It's fun exercise.

I purchased some 3, 5 and 8 pound handweights at Goodwill and use them for upper body workouts. I do bicep curls, tricep extensions, laises, etc... A good goal is to do 15 reps using a weight that feels challenging but doable towards the end. Do 2 sets to start with. Don't use any weights or use cans of food or milk jugs filled with water to the weight you like.

I also go squats and lunges with no weights. I can only do 8 reps each for 2 sets. More than that kills my legs for up to 3 days. I do wall push ups. That's right push ups against the wall instead of on the floor.

You can also lay on the floor and lift your baby up and down. I had the best arms when my child was a baby and toddler from lifting and carrying him so much.

You start where you can <3