Calling All Oatmeal Lovers!

Options

Replies

• alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    My favorite is pumpkin pie oatmeal. Cook 1/2 cup quick oats, 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut/almond milk, 2 tbsp. pumpkin puree. Add pumpkin pie spice (or I use nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon) and 1-2 tsp brown sugar. HEAVEN.
  • saraelizaphant
    saraelizaphant Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this thread! I will be soaking oats tonight and trying a savory variation later this week. Years ago, I ate oatmeal with heaps of brown sugar; my preferences slowly changed.

I cook steel cut oats on the stove. This morning, I surprised myself by enjoying oats with a banana and cinnamon, nothing else. There are many great ideas here already. I frequently add peanut butter, try variations of fruit and nuts, occasionally use honey or agave nectar to sweeten, chia, etc. My husband's favorite is PB&J oatmeal. It includes peanut butter (always ground peanuts - yum), jam, cinnamon, and an additional sweetener.

Pecans and walnuts are great. My favorite fruits to add, in order, are banana (sliced or mashed), apple (typically sauteed or cooked in water with oats), fresh blueberries and other berries, peach, and apricot.

You may be interested in trying baked oatmeal. Budgetbytes.com has many great recipes. I really enjoyed the funky monkey baked oatmeal! I've recently made oatmeal in a rice cooker with half apple juice, and it's now a top favorite. I purchase the best apple juice I can find and pass if nothing is available. I must be an oatmeal lover.
  • adam_hargy
    adam_hargy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love overnight oats! In a jar I add:

50 g oats
    10 g chia seed
    1 cup milk of choice
    1 tsb ceylon cinnamon
    1 tsb maca powder
    100g blueberries

Then add a banana and its the perfect on the go breakfast at around 450 cal. I also add a scoop of protein powder if I am having it post workout.
  • SarenaWM
    SarenaWM Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I add egg whites halfway through cooking. Makes my porridge a lot more filling and fluffy!

For flavour I like to add things like mashed bananas, blueberries, almond butter, pure maple syrup, cinnamon.. pecans, toasted coconut.. PB2 if I'm watching my calories. Also, I always use almond milk.. water just doesn't do it for me.

I usually use plain oats, but when I'm crunched for time I love Nature's Path Qi'a oats, especially the creamy coconut flavour. Only 1g of sugar.. really recommend!
  • MarvelousMrs
    MarvelousMrs Posts: 197 Member
    Options

I have these in the oven baking right now!

• thdmsulvt
    thdmsulvt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Half a banana is all it takes for this sugar lover not to miss the sugar. Then a tablespoon of peanut butter for protein and flavor. Several other people have mentioned variations of this, but the half a banana mashed into it is what you need to get that sugary flavor. Unfortunately, now that I am pre-diabetic this raises my blood sugar too much. Proof that it is sweet I guess.
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple... just some honey for sweetener. Or if I'm feeling really adventurous I'll cook it with some raisins.
  • jessjess210
    jessjess210 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Vanilla, cinnamon, and a few raisins/fruit/a few tablespoons of muesli.

I also make overnight oatmeal. I mix oats with flavoured yoghurt, some fat free milk, and top with fresh fruit in the morning. (That's my summer oatmeal because it sits in the fridge overnight)

Sorry to be so thick but do you mean the oats just sit in the liquid and at no stage do you heat it up? That sounds so easy. As you can gather I'm not much of a cook :(
    Do you then eat it cold or would it be possible to warm up in the morning?
    Trying to get healthier.. I simply use one of those pot oats that you add hot water to at the moment which I know aren't that healthŷ.

I also do overnight oats. 1/4 cup rolled oats, quarter cup Greek yogurt, 1 cup vanilla soy milk, 6 g honey, and 1 tablespoon each of chia seeds and flaxseed meal. Sometimes I'll add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder or PB2 (or both), cinnamon, and my favorite is a date, which dissolves by the morning and makes it nice and sweet. I like to mix it all in a mason jar and in the morning i like it warm, so I microwave it about 1:30. Then I'll add my toppings: strawberries, blueberries, bananas, chopped nuts, apples...whatever fresh fruit I have laying around.

• salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    maple syrup, shredded carrot, blueberries,banana,vanilla,cinnamon
  • indyrunning
    indyrunning Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Has anyone said add vanilla extract or almond extract? Just a pinch of sweetness and kick to steel cut oats or old fashioned rolled...yum!
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Everyday, I use Coach's Oats Steel Cut Oats. I cook 1 cup water and 1/3 cup oats for about 5 min. I add in 1 tsp of local honey (for nutrients and allergies), 1/4 tsp organic cinnamon (for anti inflammatory properties), and 1/2 c blueberries (anti inflammatory, anti oxidant, and nutrients). It is plenty sweet and the blueberries heat up from the oatmeal, making them really yummy!
  • GoPerfectHealth
    GoPerfectHealth Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    40 grams of Old-Fashioned Oats with 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 10 grams walnuts, and 12 grams brown sugar. And maybe a few raisins, but I haven't had them around the house lately.

If you have 20 grams of nuts per day that's good for your health. Happy Oatmeal! :smile:
  • Alishajade4409
    Alishajade4409 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Why can't you use water in overnight oats instead of milk?
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I don't cook it too long so that the oats are still pretty whole and if I need more moisture, I top with cream or coconut milk. I eat old fashioned oatmeal nearly every day before my workout. My go-to to mix with it is peanut or almond butter (1 tablespoon) and a banana with some stevia.
  • fitmissbliss
    fitmissbliss Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Cake Batter overnight oatmeal from Dashing Dish. Legit tastes like licking a bowl of cake batter.
    If you like the ooy gooey texture just start researching overnight oat options...youll get the taste/texture you love.
    But seriously...make the cake batter one NOW. It'll change your life!
  • Ideabaker
    Ideabaker Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I put in chopped apple, sliced almonds (from the baking aisle), pumpkin pie spice and a bit of manuka honey for sweetness...but the folks who put pureed pumpkin or sweet potato have nabbed my attention, as well as others on this great thread. Keep the ideas coming, folks-- it's the beginning of Autumn on this side of the planet!
  • abcdef514
    abcdef514 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Question for those of you saying you add almond butter or peanut butter: how do you do that (proportions, cooked with milk or water, etc.)? I'm asking because I LOVE peanut butter and I LOVE oatmeal -- I tried them together for the first time the other day and the taste almost made me sick. I'd like to try again, but don't want to just do trial and error -- too afraid of messing it up like last time!!
  • lisafrancis888
    lisafrancis888 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    Vanilla, cinnamon, and a few raisins/fruit/a few tablespoons of muesli.

I also make overnight oatmeal. I mix oats with flavoured yoghurt, some fat free milk, and top with fresh fruit in the morning. (That's my summer oatmeal because it sits in the fridge overnight)

Sorry to be so thick but do you mean the oats just sit in the liquid and at no stage do you heat it up? That sounds so easy. As you can gather I'm not much of a cook :(
    Do you then eat it cold or would it be possible to warm up in the morning?
    Trying to get healthier.. I simply use one of those pot oats that you add hot water to at the moment which I know aren't that healthŷ.

I also do overnight oats. 1/4 cup rolled oats, quarter cup Greek yogurt, 1 cup vanilla soy milk, 6 g honey, and 1 tablespoon each of chia seeds and flaxseed meal. Sometimes I'll add 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder or PB2 (or both), cinnamon, and my favorite is a date, which dissolves by the morning and makes it nice and sweet. I like to mix it all in a mason jar and in the morning i like it warm, so I microwave it about 1:30. Then I'll add my toppings: strawberries, blueberries, bananas, chopped nuts, apples...whatever fresh fruit I have laying around.

Sounds delicious. Will give overnight oats a try. New shopping list to do. Thank you

• MartialPanda
    MartialPanda Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    jeanholly wrote: »
    "If you aren't opposed to trying savory, I am absolutely obsessed with this recipe:
    1/2 cup quick oats
    1 serving liquid egg whites
    Onion and Jalapeno diced and sauteed with a smidge of oil
    1 egg (prepped to your preference)"

This sounds delicious. I love my oatmeal savory and I often make it w/ scallions and soy sauce. I know, weird....

I'm so going to have to try savory oats. Sounds so weird but there are so many possibilities!!

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I also love oatmeal, I prefer to eat either the old fashioned rolled oats or steel cut oats as they have more texture. I have found many recipes for overnight oatmeal, summer oatmeal, and slow cooker oatmeal. They usually make enough for a week or more of breakfasts. If I am cooking rolled oats I will cook with low-fat milk as the milk makes a creamier mixture. I do add a bit of honey, maple syrup, or brown sugar when I am making a big batch, usually only a couple tablespoons, no more than 1/4 cup for 5 or more servings and the amount of sugar is pretty small. I also add nuts. When I eat it I add yogurt and fruit. I have started adding chia seeds and wheat germ to increase the fiber.