Pre workout shake or supplement?

Options
Who uses it? & what has worked for you? I workout after my daughter goes to bed most days & I don't seem to have the energy to push myself.

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    I used to use them, but then I got really bad insomnia. I now just use whey protein and green tea if I need a little energy.

If you do choose a pre workout, I suggest using it early in the morning so you don't have sleep troubles.
  • lmfb13
    lmfb13 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I usually take Pre-workout. I see a big difference in my endurance and overall performance when I take it. I wouldn't recommend taking it after 5 pm though because it really does make you stay up all night depending on your caffeine tolerance.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I use caffeine, but I wouldn't want to use it in the evening for fear of it affecting my sleep.
  • Noelv1976
    Noelv1976 Posts: 18,948 Member
    Options
    babytashh wrote: »
    Who uses it? & what has worked for you? I workout after my daughter goes to bed most days & I don't seem to have the energy to push myself.

If you're gonna work out in the evening, take some right before 5 pm. But I use Essential Amino Energy by Optimum Nutrition for perworkout and EAS 15 for postworkout.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Only electrolyte replacement during my long swim or a spin class.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I use coffee.

and sheer force of will.

not always pretty- but nevertheless- I get in and do the damn thing.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    the prework out thing is basically a mental crutch. it doesn't actually give you energy to burn (unless there are calories in it and even then there are likely better sources). At best its something like caffeine or some other stimulant.