intervals question

Options
Is it better to just do 30 minutes on the elliptical machine at one time and then do weights/weight machines and then a stair stepper or Jacobs ladder type machine or do 10 minutes of elliptical machine then do a few weights or weight machines then hop back on elliptical machine for 10 min then do a few more weights or weight machines and then repeat again till 30 mins done of elliptical machine and like 20-25 min of weights/weight machines? I have tried both and I seem to burn more calories per my Polar FT7 fitness HRM watch when I break the elliptical machine and weights up. Would this be like HIIT training?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    There was actually some research on this at the university of Santa Cruz by Dr. W Jackson. He called it integrated body conditioning. You could look into that.

http://chatham-kent.fitdv.com/new/articles/article.php?artid=612&print_art=1
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Better how? To lose weight or are you looking for specific training goals?

Personally I find intervals more entertaining, and luckily they are great for my athletic performance desires. So I go with those. I also find it easier to burn more calories because you get a small break and then you can go harder at the cardio. Higher intensity = more calories burned.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Amazingly that "study" doesn't appear in any journals ... just sites trying to sell what is marketed as a miracle workout.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    To loose weight. I have gained back some weight after loosing alot and hitting my personal goal in Spring 2013. I can only be on a cardio machine for 30 min cause I get bored. The elliptical seems to burn the most cals for me, 30 min 300 cals burn according to my Polar FT7 HRM watch.

I am not an athlete. I have bad knees (bone on bone left knee, bad right knee due to over compensation) so I can do running. I have tried it and it hurts me and the knee dr said not to. I have a bike I ride during the nice months also.

Thanks for any information!

esjones12 wrote: »
    Better how? To lose weight or are you looking for specific training goals?

Personally I find intervals more entertaining, and luckily they are great for my athletic performance desires. So I go with those. I also find it easier to burn more calories because you get a small break and then you can go harder at the cardio. Higher intensity = more calories burned.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. 5-10 minute cardio warm up (elliptical is fine, but range of motion exercises would be better IMO), then do your strength training, and then finish it off with some HIIT or other form of cardio for the extra calorie burn.

Doing supersets during strength training tends to burn a few more calories because there's less rest, so you could look into that. Also, why weight machines? Free weights are your best bet.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    spfldpam wrote: »
    Is it better to just do 30 minutes on the elliptical machine at one time and then do weights/weight machines and then a stair stepper or Jacobs ladder type machine or do 10 minutes of elliptical machine then do a few weights or weight machines then hop back on elliptical machine for 10 min then do a few more weights or weight machines and then repeat again till 30 mins done of elliptical machine and like 20-25 min of weights/weight machines? I have tried both and I seem to burn more calories per my Polar FT7 fitness HRM watch when I break the elliptical machine and weights up. Would this be like HIIT training?
    Thanks in advance!

No this is most certainly NOT HIIT. Just because something has the word interval, it is not HIIT, although many people seem to be confused about it. The High Intensity intervals in HIIT are at an intensity sustainable for a few seconds, like up to half a minute.
    As for which is better in the scenario you describe, it depends on what you are trying to do. If it is to lift really heavy, I doubt you can really interrupt it by intervals of cardio, unless this cardio will be at a really slow pace, like an extended rest period (and I am not sure what the benefit of this would be, never thought to try it). If your goal is to turn the entire workout into cardio, like a fast type circuit with lots of reps and low weights, then mixing some elliptical or running etc in it makes sense and it is a scenario I have seen in many circuit type group classes.
  • spfldpam
    Options
    The gym I go to has limited "free weights" and I am not for sure what to do with all them besides the few exercises I have done in the past with them. Also the free weight section of this gym is crowded and used the time I go to the gym by alot of younger people. I don't think I could even use any of them the times I usually go to the gym after work from 4:30 to 5:30pm. This time frame works best for me on weekdays also.
    The weight machines are usually available and I feel comfortable using them. I do have a bad knee and had back surgery (disc removed in mid 1980's so worried about that too and doing too much to mess my back up if my form isn't correct.
    There is no trainer at this gym to seek help from or hire either.
    Where I live this is my best option of a gym also. It is on the way home from where I live in a rural area.
    Thanks!
    Keep it simple. 5-10 minute cardio warm up (elliptical is fine, but range of motion exercises would be better IMO), then do your strength training, and then finish it off with some HIIT or other form of cardio for the extra calorie burn.

Doing supersets during strength training tends to burn a few more calories because there's less rest, so you could look into that. Also, why weight machines? Free weights are your best bet.

• spfldpam
    Options
    Ok, I didn't think it was true HIIT from what I have read. HIIT is doing the same exercise or cardio at fast level to bring HR up and then slower period of cardio to bring it back down. I've tried that but I just can't slow down that much on the elliptical to get my HR back to a resting or lower rate. I usually keep it at 140 or more and bring it up to 165-170 at times. I use a Polar FT 7 with chest strap so it is pretty accurate also. I guess I would need to bring it down to like what?
    Thanks!

[/quote]

No this is most certainly NOT HIIT. Just because something has the word interval, it is not HIIT, although many people seem to be confused about it. The High Intensity intervals in HIIT are at an intensity sustainable for a few seconds, like up to half a minute.
    As for which is better in the scenario you describe, it depends on what you are trying to do. If it is to lift really heavy, I doubt you can really interrupt it by intervals of cardio, unless this cardio will be at a really slow pace, like an extended rest period (and I am not sure what the benefit of this would be, never thought to try it). If your goal is to turn the entire workout into cardio, like a fast type circuit with lots of reps and low weights, then mixing some elliptical or running etc in it makes sense and it is a scenario I have seen in many circuit type group classes. [/quote]
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I definitely like using an 'intervals' approach, because it allows me to ramp up my cardio to very high levels for short periods - near maximum effort, while my muscles recover enough for the next strength set (I do only bodyweight exercises, no weight lifting), then while my HR is in recovery I do the BW exercises, then ramp my cardio back up into high gear and go another round.

This allows me to get a much higher intensity workout than I would otherwise.. but that's just me.
  • vorgas
    vorgas Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If you are using your HRM to calculate calories burned during weight lifting, it is not at all accurate. Doesn't matter how much cardio you do between sets. HRMs measure your Heart Rate.

There is a correlation between the volume load of your heart rate and the amount of oxygen used to fuel the aerobic process during steady state aerobics.

Weight lifting is neither steady state, nor aerobics, nor is it a volume load (it is a pressure load). So it is not at all accurate.
  • spfldpam
    Options

Thanks for the information. I don't usually eat any of my calories burned back anyways so it is more of a tracking thing for me than anything at this point. I do the strength training more for firming up and building muscle than for calorie burn. I keep the Polar FT7 on for my entire workout and only pause it between the work out machines/activities.
    vorgas wrote: »
    If you are using your HRM to calculate calories burned during weight lifting, it is not at all accurate. Doesn't matter how much cardio you do between sets. HRMs measure your Heart Rate.

There is a correlation between the volume load of your heart rate and the amount of oxygen used to fuel the aerobic process during steady state aerobics.

Weight lifting is neither steady state, nor aerobics, nor is it a volume load (it is a pressure load). So it is not at all accurate.

• spfldpam
    Options
    Thanks for all the information. I think for now I will continue to do my elliptical in 10 min intervals with the weights mixed in just to break up the workout and time seems to go by quicker doing it that ways anyways. I can't see any harm in it and I seem to burn a few more cals that way too.
    Thanks again!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, it won't make any difference.
  • spfldpam
    Options
    So you are saying working out won't effect my weight loss? I know in order to loose weight you have to restrict your calorie intake or keep it at a certain level. I have heard you need to work out with cardio at least 30 minutes a day for weight loss or maintenance of weight loss. This isn't true then?
    Thanks!
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    For weight loss, it won't make any difference.