Thinking of joining weight watchers... Need some input...

Options
I am considering joining weight watchers for the supoort and to be held accountable..
Any information would be great to help me make my decision.
Thanks in advance..

Replies

• kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Not dissing WW, but how about you log your food/exercise here and find someone on here to help you? It's free and pretty much the same thing - only difference is no meetings and no weighing in in front of strangers.

Bluntly, YOU will be the only one in each situation that gets yourself to the gym and knocks the doughnut that will put you over your calories out of your hand. Having a support system is great but they can't be there every step of the way. YOU need to be ready for all the pitfalls and not depend on others.
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If anyone has anything relevant to say it would appreciate it.

Kristen I don't know if you were trying to tell me something I didn't already know but your comment was rude and uncalled for.
  • JoJo61612
    JoJo61612 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I agree with Kristen. You asked for info on How to help make the decision. She gave it; not rude.
  • kristen6350
    Options
    I wasn't trying to be rude. I was being honest. There's a difference. But you can do whatever you want. Spend your money whatever way you want. It's your life. Are you really only look for opinions that are like yours? What help is that? Why don't you listen to someone who's been in your shoes? Lost a ton of weight with THIS app because I figured out that the only one I can depend on is me.

Good luck, OP.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My husband tried it. Work paid for it for about 3 months and he did lose some weight but gained it back shortly after his time ran out. If the meetings help you stay on track and you find some buddies to stick with after you finish the program it may be worth it. I saw it as being fairly expensive for much of what you can get for free here.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, OP - I did WW a long time ago when they had their Fat & Fiber plan. I do not particularly care for it, and here's why: first off, the scale is NOT the end-all, be-all of weight loss. WW will note any weight gain no matter how miniscule. Bodies fluctuate ALL the time, and .25 lbs is barely a blip but WW will note it. I disagree with that approach because it just makes a person feel like a failure.

Secondly, with all of the free apps (like this one) there is really no need to PAY to lose weight. This community is very supportive; however, I would suggest that you keep an open mind and try not to take things personally (as you did with kristen6350's response) because the written word does not reflect intonation so what you read as being snarky was probably not meant as such.

If you would like support and feedback, feel free to friend request me. :)
  • Jen0414
    Jen0414 Posts: 466 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I have lost a ton of weight on MFP too but I have gained it back and need support.
    I am at a period in my life where I need that extra support even if it's only for awhile.
    I know that I am the person responsible for "not eating that donut" and getting my butt to the gym. But I need that extra support system right now.
  • skinnyD2308
    skinnyD2308 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I used to really enjoy WW. I like the meetings and weekly devoted time to focus on health topics and strategies for success. I liked the sharing of successes and sharing of struggles with an in person group. I like the positive reinforcement of stickers and awards and the group celebrating milestones. The in-person positive reinforcement was valuable to me for a time. However after trying weightwatchers multiple times and losing between 25-35 pounds each time, I never reached my goal and ultimately I couldn't make it a permant lifestyle change. The last time I joined, I resented spending the money on it and realized that I wasn't going to be a "lifer". So I stopped going. now I've been on myfitnesspal 9 months and lost 37 pounds. I haven't gotten the same levels of external positive reinforcement here as at weightwstchers, but I am starting to believe that the changes I've made to my diet are sustainable ones that I can use for a lifetime. At the end of the day, the external support that WW gave me wasn't enough to keep me going, but I was successful when I enjoyed it. at the end of the day you need to do what works for you, the only thing that will lead to our success is making long term sustainable changes to our habits around food and exercise. There are lifetime members at weightwstchers who have lost weight and kept it off, maybe you'll be one of them.
  • Lacey0903
    Lacey0903 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If you feel it will help, then try it. Most of the MFP community will say that it's not worth it but if your they type of person that needs that environment to succeed, go for it. You have recognized that you need to try something different & that's good.

Good luck! :smile:
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    As a former WW member, I say don't waste your time and money on it. There were a lot of reasons why I switched from WW to MFP, but one of the top reasons was that their database and tracking app are horrible. Most of the items that I scanned were not in their database, and many were not even if I searched for them manually. They don't give you information on there like they do on here, they just list the points value. It can make it hard to figure out what may have caused a gain (like sodium consumption) and their only explanation they give is "it just happens", which can be very frustrating. I started double tracking on here to get that information and two weeks later I cancelled my WW membership. It just wasn't worth paying for something when I can get a better product (MFP) for free.

• kristen6350
    Options
    I know right now you aren't my biggest fan. I need to give a bit of background then ask you to think about something.

I lost 50lbs in 2012 (193-143), using MFP for the last 20. From the summer of 2012 to the fall of 2013 I managed to maintain it within 5lbs. At that point I quit MFP because I thought I had it all figured out. I knew how to keep it off. In December 2014, I weighed in at 167. I had went back to all my "bad" habits pretty much forgetting everything MFP taught me. EVERYTHING. Even down to the eating out of a full bag of chips on the couch at night. I hadn't gotten on the scale for more than a year because I knew if I did I'd have to go back to doing the "right" things. The fun would end. So, after that weigh in and re-gaining 3 pants sizes, I re-remembered and stuck to all those things that MFP taught me - I'm now down 14lbs of that 20ish I had to relose. It's all about doing all those things you learned for the rest of your life. Not just while you are "dieting".

I think you need to ask yourself, honestly, why you re-gained it? Were you doing things that weren't sustainable? Did you have extreme goals? Or did you just become complacent like I did? I've always said all this is totally mental. Getting your brain in a place where all of it makes sense and owning up to our mistakes. No one is perfect. We all fall down, it's about getting back up and believing we can do it.

Now, if you feel that WW is better than MFP, I urge you to try it. I wish you the best of luck in life. I'm seriously not a malicious person. Not a mean bone in my body.
  • teripoi
    teripoi Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    jkal1979 wrote: »
    As a former WW member, I say don't waste your time and money on it. There were a lot of reasons why I switched from WW to MFP, but one of the top reasons was that their database and tracking app are horrible. Most of the items that I scanned were not in their database, and many were not even if I searched for them manually. They don't give you information on there like they do on here, they just list the points value. It can make it hard to figure out what may have caused a gain (like sodium consumption) and their only explanation they give is "it just happens", which can be very frustrating. I started double tracking on here to get that information and two weeks later I cancelled my WW membership. It just wasn't worth paying for something when I can get a better product (MFP) for free.

I have had luck in the past with WW, and weighing in every week made me very aware of my food choices on the weekend. BUT, I absolutely agree about the WW database and tracking app. It was very disappointing and I too double tracked to see if it made a difference. Hands down the free MFP is soooo much better.
  • KHaverstick
    KHaverstick Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I've done WW online in the past, and had success with it. This was years ago, before MFP and smart phones existed. At the time, the idea of tracking food intake in an online tool was still fairly novel, and I found it to be helpful. And at least initially, knowing that I was paying for it was motivation to make the most of it. It worked; I lost 20 (or was it 25?) pounds. Fast forward some years, past pharmacy school and my first baby, and I had stopped doing WW. I had a lot of weight to lose, and I decided to start back up with WW again. I found myself dissatisfied with it the second time around. At that time, there was no WW app for Android phones. Very disappointing. (I'm assuming there is one now). And I found the food database to be clunky and cumbersome. It could be better now. I also found myself wanting to have/track more nutritional data other than just points. I wanted to see the actual fat/protein/fiber/calorie amounts. And, since by that time there were some good options for FREE meal/fitness tracking online, I really didn't want to pay for WW anymore. So I began the search for something that was free, had a great database, allowed tracking of multiple various nutrients, was easy to use, and had an Android app. That's when I found MFP, and it's been everything I wanted.

Having said all of that, I do think that some people really benefit from the accountability aspect of WW if you go to meetings and such. My mom did that for years in the 80's and 90's, and it was great for her. The bottom line is that if you think it'll help, give it a try. I have no idea what their program is like right now, as it changes often, but I do think their plans have usually been fairly reasonable.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I did WW about ten years ago when it was Winning Points, I believe it was called. So I tracked everything manually and on the calculator. I lost 30 lbs so I have nothing negative to say about the program but I never went to meetings. I used the At Home Kit. It did teach me to make better choices to be able to eat more throughout my day which is always my goal. Points, calories, same thing but at that time using a calculator or slider made my life easier. I have only ever used their message boards for the forums so I can't speak to their App.

When I needed to lose weight this time I did consider signing up and using the App but figured I would try the MFP route because it is free and it worked. I know you say you need the extra support and if that is meetings then to you that cost is worth it. If that is what it takes to jump start you again then go forward. But I would say if you go the MFP route there is great support here not only in the forums but especially on your friends list. If you are honest with your logging the results will come. Good luck.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Jen0414 wrote: »
    I have lost a ton of weight on MFP too but I have gained it back and need support.
    I am at a period in my life where I need that extra support even if it's only for awhile.
    I know that I am the person responsible for "not eating that donut" and getting my butt to the gym. But I need that extra support system right now.

Then you've answered your own question. If you think it is what you need, by all means, try it. But Kristen's answer was not rude at all. People who do WW also gain back the weight, so it is not some magic answer. It can't hurt to try it. I started that way, but I got more out of MFP. Get a supportive friends list going and possibly join a group, and you might be able to get what you need for free.
  • pglaf
    pglaf Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is a long, hard journey and it's not one that comes with a perfect formula that works for everyone.
    And what works for us today might not work for us 3 months from now etc.
    Looking for another form of support doesn't mean you are saying that it's any better than MFP just that it may be what helps you better at this point in time.
    The two may even work together for you.
    As long as you are still striving to find what works for you then I give you huge props for not giving up.
    If you think that WW might be able to help to get you back on track now then I say you should go for it.
    We all need to remember that we are here for the same reason - hopefully to lose weight and be healthy AND to support one another.
    - Good Luck Jen!!!
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I did WW from November-January. I didn't find the meetings helpful and had a hard time getting to them every week. But it was me, excuse after excuse. I know people who WW has worked for. It just wasn't for me.
  • missyjg99
    missyjg99 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    teripoi wrote: »
    jkal1979 wrote: »

I have had luck in the past with WW, and weighing in every week made me very aware of my food choices on the weekend. BUT, I absolutely agree about the WW database and tracking app. It was very disappointing and I too double tracked to see if it made a difference. Hands down the free MFP is soooo much better.

I totally agree with this! I hated the app and logging points.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did WW a few years back when they still had the points system (I have no idea what they do now). I was not a fan. I didn't feel it taught me anything about nutrition; but it did teach me how to cheat the system by eating all the "free" foods (fruits, veggies...which aren't actually free and very little protein because the points were high). My total points added up to about 1050 calories a day. That was far from sustainable to me. I lurked here for a while, saw how the successful people did it, befriended them, and I lost 30 pounds here. FOR FREE.

You may not like the answers you get, but that second post was spot on.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I was a ww member for about a year or so and didn't really like it that much. As someone already said, the focus really is on the scale, which is disheartening because that scale isn't always telling the whole story. I left and came here and I've lost more weight here than I did at ww.