Cardio at Work?

Options
Hello. I work a desk job and I've been trying to think of ways to get some extra cardio in during my work day. I do small things throughout the day, like squats, dips, and trunk twists, and I walk around the block on both of my breaks. Just curious if anyone else has found ways to work in more cardio while working a desk job. Thanks!

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Park in the farthest parking space at work, take the stairs instead of the elevator (if you're in a multi-storey building), send print jobs to the printer on the other side of the office. Might not be cardio per se but it gets you moving a little more.
  • rolltide8168
    rolltide8168 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello. I work a desk job and I've been trying to think of ways to get some extra cardio in during my work day. I do small things throughout the day, like squats, dips, and trunk twists, and I walk around the block on both of my breaks. Just curious if anyone else has found ways to work in more cardio while working a desk job. Thanks!

• _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    seems you're doing pretty well! I walk on my breaks too, I also go and see people rather than phoning them that way you get the walk while also getting extra positive feedback from people as they see it as going the extra mile - win/win if you ask me!
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    You're doing great! I have a mini-stair stepper in my home office. I jump on it from time to time during the work day to get me moving a little.

10 minutes raises my heart rate and it's just before I start to break a sweat. About 15 minutes gets me one mile.

I can use it while I'm on phone calls, it's quiet, wasn't expensive and it doesn't take up much space.

The kind I have also have resistance band handles attached to it, so I get some core and upper body work in if I wanted.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    You can also purchase a pedal machine that fits under the desk.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I've got a DeskCycle and love it. No one can even tell I'm using it. You can adjust the tension like a regular stationary bike to get the heart rate going.

7aiv2onwt4uv.png
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    10 min stroll before work.
    20 mins at lunch
    30 mins in the evening

That's an hour of walking on top of any incidental steps during the day.

I try to take the long route when walking up and down stairs at work (to the kitchen or toilet etc).
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    10 min stroll before work.
    20 mins at lunch
    30 mins in the evening

That's an hour of walking on top of any incidental steps during the day.

I try to take the long route when walking up and down stairs at work (to the kitchen or toilet etc).

This is very similar to my routine!

10 min walk/walk in place before work
    15 min workout (walk/jog/run/jump rope) during lunch
    30 min workout after work (I don't always get this in lol)

I have my Fitbit set to remind me to get up and walk every hour from 7am-7pm
    No stairs in my life anywhere to walk up, but I try to find hills to walk up when outside
    I park further away from buildings (work, grocery, etc.) to get extra steps

I pre-log my food to make sure I stick to a plan and leave myself enough calories for dinner

• from90to60
    from90to60 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    bikecheryl wrote: »
    I've got a DeskCycle and love it. No one can even tell I'm using it. You can adjust the tension like a regular stationary bike to get the heart rate going.

7aiv2onwt4uv.png

hahahha i like it ! And you use it for how long? It doesnt distract you from wrting or working ??
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    I work in a 6 floor building. On days I don't run, I like to climb up and down the stairs before each cup of coffee. I can do about 4 full sets (20 floors total) before I start getting warm enough that I risk pitting out my shirts.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I walk on my morning, lunch and afternoon break. Equals an hour of walking, and about 10,000 steps.
  • kgilbert75
    kgilbert75 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I walk and climb stairs during my morning and afternoon breaks, and then I walk 2 miles at lunch. I work in a 9-story building and this month my department is doing a stair challenge - I currently have 274 flights of stairs for February!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've just recently and somewhat reluctantly gotten into the step thing...bought a Fitbit and all that jazz. Due to a variety of circumstances and goings on it looks like realistically I'll only be able to ride a few days per week and lift 2x per week and basically my mileage will be cut roughly in half.

So I bought the Fitbit...started walking my dog in the morning with my coffee instead of reading the news...she's old, so it's a short 30 minute walk. Beyond that I make sure I get up and walk around my office building every hour...the little route I take requires some stairs so I get in about 20-26 flights per day depending on which building I'm working in and I get in around 500 steps per little walk that takes me about 2 minutes. I've been getting in around 10,000 - 12,000 steps in a day in addition to riding about 30-40 miles per week and lifting 2x per week.

I think I'm making people nervous though...not everyday that the CFO is outside of the administrative 3rd floor and walking the halls...
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, my exercise at work consists of jumping through hoops, running around in circles, bending over backwards, and exercises in futility. Mentally taxing, but not big calorie burners.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think I'm making people nervous though...not everyday that the CFO is outside of the administrative 3rd floor and walking the halls...

This made me laugh. I’m the prez/CFO but work remotely. I’ve started making my staff take walking meetings with me. I’m in CT and they’re in NC, so we grab our cell phones, a pad of paper and a pen, and walk around our respective neighborhoods. The added benefit is that they all have shared offices so they get a little privacy for the call.