Tips for first 5K?

Options
I completed the C25K program in March. My first 5K is next month.

I want to do a series of blog posts with tips for my (or my reader's) first races.

I'd love tips for before the race, during the race, and after the race. Also, tips for bigger runners. (I expect to be about 250 pounds on race day.)

If you have a blog, feel free to include your link. Thanks!

Replies

• sdill64
    sdill64 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Don't try to take off too fast at the race - just because everyone else is.
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    You won't be in first place, but you probably won't be in last either. Find a comfortable pace and stick to it (preferably close to what you train at). You'll have an impulse to sprint early on, but that isn't sustainable and will just tire you out early. Remember that you've already done this distance, so you know you can, regardless of what those traitors you call legs tell you. Runners tend to be a friendly and helpful bunch, particularly on races, so feel free to ask for encouragement from those around you if you need it - you'll get it. Lastly, have fun and embrace the runner's high (I didn't feel it until my first 5k). Good luck.
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I ran my first 5k last March at around 250ish (I think?) I was about 4 weeks into c25k (I signed up on a whim lol!) Here's my advice:

Before race day:
    *Pick up your packet! It's SO much easier to not have to figure out logistics of getting your packet/shirt (if you're not wearing it)/etc back to your car after you pick it up on race day. Pick it up before hand if at all possible.
    *Get a feeling for the course. I'm half and half, sometimes I love to know the course, sometimes it freaks me out. Luckily for my first 5k I wasn't really realizing the distance of it when I looked at a course map. Then I saw a map of a 5k that ran around my old campus and FREAKED out when I realized I'd be running 'that' far. I'm running my first 10k on saturday and JUST found out (after registering) that it's a SUPER hilly course, and I've NEVER run hills...so find out if your course has hills, etc.
    *Get sleep the entire week before! I'm always INCREDIBLY nervous the night before a race, so if at all possible, pick up a few extra hours prior to the night before
    *Same goes with water. I try to carry my own bottle (either in my hand or on a belt), but sometimes it just annoys me, and the first race I tried to do without the water....lo and behold I either totally missed the water station or there wasn't one. Not good! Luckily I'd stayed hydrated pretty well through the week so it wasn't a massive issue.
    *If you're worried about being last place (if you've been training I almost guarantee you wont be!) try looking at the results from the year before. My first one I freaked out about because I was only a couple weeks into training...then I saw times from last year....a few were in the hours...I was so much more relaxed after that!
    *Figure out where parking is located so you're not scrambling to find it the morning of!
    *The night before...try *try!* to get as much sleep as possible.
    *Make sure you know where the start is! There've been a couple 5Ks I've wandered around for a while until I found the start. Should have looked at the map lol!
    *Go for at least one run in the outfit (down to underwear/bra/socks) that you're planning on wearing. Make sure it's not going to chafe or annoy you on race day!

Before:
    *Eat something light!
    *Get there early!
    *Soak up the race atmosphere!!
    *Aim for the middle-back of the pack. If it's a large race (My first one was over 10k runners!) Try not to get stuck in the back...but (unless you're an elite type runner) try not to get too close to the front..you'll be swept out at a pace you totally don't want to start at!

During:
    *My favorite quote: Run when you can, walk when you have to, just never give up!
    My first one, I basically got haflway through and was so gassed....SO I used the streetlights to give myself intervals...Run two, then walk one, then run two...just to give myself a focus while I was running. If you have to walk, there's no shame in it! You're still out there racing where there's so many people on the sidelines or at home! You're still doing the race! The key is to cross the finish line!
    *Try not to let the race atmosphere sweep you up in the beginning. You're going to have so much adrenaline, but don't let it take you out too fast so you're struggling to keep up a good pace in the middle/end.
    *If you have to take walk breaks move over to the side (Which side depends on the race usually), try no tto stop in the middle of the road....I've seen more than one person completely run over...literally!
    *Just have fun!! Enjoy the race atmosphere!
    *Even if you're last (which you most likely wont be unless it's a small small race!) Enjoy it! Smile big and Cross the finish line with a huge smile because you did it!! I was about 15 from last on my first 4 mile race....and there was a HUGE crowd cheering as I crossed the finish line. It feels amazing either way!!

After: Sign up for another!!!!
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Start out pretty slow and steady. After the second mile was when I would pick up the pace a little bit. Once the finish line is close just bolt it.
  • Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    All good advice, I liked the one that said use the lights for intervals of walk/run, I have run courses that did not have things like that and I have found counting my steps helped me. When I got to that point that I just couldn't keep running all the time. I would run for a 100 right foot strikes, and walk 25 right foot strikes. The counting actually took my mind off my legs and forced me to breathe better. Yes I counted out loud. Something I learned when I was in the military. The reason you sing cadence while running in formation is not just to mark the pace it is to force the troops to breathe properly.
  • Julie_Donahue
    Julie_Donahue Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips. Any others?

BTW....I officially signed up....28 days to go!