Fruits are too sugary and result in weight gain?

Options
glfernandes828
glfernandes828 Posts: 101 Member
edited March 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I've read a lot of articles lately that say that fruits really aren't that great of a food to eat when trying to lose weight because despite the vitamins, they are filled with sugar and if you are trying to loose weight, you should keep your fruit consumption at a minimum.

This sucks cuz I loooove all fruits so much. But since reading those articles I've chosen to only eat fruits as meal replacers or snacks in between very spread apart meals.

What are your opinions and facts you know about fruits?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Fruits are great. Don't start cutting them out.

That being said, if you eat ANYTHING over the amount of calories you expend daily, you will gain weight. It's not limited to fruit, veggies, meat, whatever. If you need 1800 calories to maintain your weight daily and you eat 1900 calories everyday, then guess what, you're going to gain. Doesn't matter the source of those calories though.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Fruit is great. Too many calories, consistently, causes weight gain. No one food or category of food causes it. If you're logging, you should be able to fit in your fruit.

Not really sure it makes a great meal replacer though, as it lacks protein and fat generally.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruit is processed through your liver, which protects you from insulin spikes if that's something you're concerned with, while your standard white sugar and products made thereof are processed through your stomach and require the release of insulin into the bloodstream. That's really the major difference; in terms of molecules, the sugar in an Oreo and the sugar in an apple are basically the same.
  • areallycoolstory
    areallycoolstory Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    People used to consider fruit a "free" food. Not so. As with all things, moderation and staying within your limits are key. Your desire to lose weight should not impact your love of fruit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I eat a couple servings of fruit every day. Demonizing whole foods is stupid, but that's kind of where the industry at large is right now...stupid I mean.
  • SilverRose89
    SilverRose89 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    g5n006f1hu2j.gif

Fruits are great. If you wanna eat fruit, eat fruit. If it fits into your calorie allowance, go for whatever you like.
    nope.gif 117.4K
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think the current guideline is to shoot for 5 veggies and 2 two fruits a day. Your are correct that many fruits have more sugar than people think. Two cups of bananas has about 36 grams of sugars. The American Heart Association would like for women to keep their sugar intake to maybe 30 grams a day. (men get about 45 g due to the fact they get more calories per day). I like your approach to be mindful about not overindulging on them just because they "seem good". They are perfectly safe in moderation like many other foods. Blackberries and Strawberries are relatively low (7/8 grams per cup) oranges, bananas and grapes are much higher at 17/18/23 grams per cup. I hope this helps!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Copy & pasting my response from your other post, just in case one gets deleted.

Calories are what matter for weight loss. Not sugars. Not carbs. Just calories.

If you have a medical or personal reason to watch your sugar intake, then you'll need to account for fruit sugars just like you account for added sugars.

Anything else is personal preference.

I lost 55 pounds while eating fruit as part of my diet. Your mileage may vary.
  • SyzygyX
    SyzygyX Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    SyzygyX wrote: »
    The sugar in fruit is processed through your liver, which protects you from insulin spikes if that's something you're concerned with, while your standard white sugar and products made thereof are processed through your stomach and require the release of insulin into the bloodstream. That's really the major difference; in terms of molecules, the sugar in an Oreo and the sugar in an apple are basically the same.

I just realized this might sound like I'm saying "And Oreos are bad for you so don't even eat apples!!11!one!" which is not what I'm saying. All I'm doing is telling you about the science, since you asked for facts. In terms of opinions, I love fruit and wouldn't give it up. I also love Oreos--especially the mint ones--and wouldn't give those up, either.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't go over your calories and get enough protein and fat, fruit is fine.

And why would you replace an entire meal with fruit?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Fruits do not lead to weight gain, excess calories lead to weight gain.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Why would fruit lead to weight gain or prevent anyone from losing weight ??? It comes down to calories in \ calories out. It makes no difference if you ate 10,000 calories of fruit or 10,000 calories of cookies or 10,000 of chicken. If you eat at a surplus, you'll gain. If you eat at a deficit, you'll lose . there's no need to worry about fruits. Its about cico
  • bounceaway
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Fruits are great. Don't start cutting them out.

That being said, if you eat ANYTHING over the amount of calories you expend daily, you will gain weight. It's not limited to fruit, veggies, meat, whatever. If you need 1800 calories to maintain your weight daily and you eat 1900 calories everyday, then guess what, you're going to gain. Doesn't matter the source of those calories though.

• bounceaway
    Options
    Love fruit and given its eaten in moderation like Anything with sugar don't see an issue.
    Surely it's about intake of what ever food and drink with good excercise :)
  • DucklingPrincess
    DucklingPrincess Posts: 36 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If that was the case... goodbye everyone. I'll just be fat forever. :P Luckily for me, it's not... fruit is fine in moderation.