Iced Tea

Options
Can I count it as water?

Replies

• lablueluna
    lablueluna Posts: 52
    Options
    I would say if it's herbal, yes. Otherwise it's a diuretic, like coffee. I think it's better for you than coffee but it's still not as hydrating as herbal tea or water.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Yes, count it. Caffeine is not a diuretic unless you consume 500 - 800mg. That's a lot of tea and even then, you've consumed so much water at that point, the effects are negligible.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    No. is this a serious thread? Especially if its Caffienated

You believe in calorie deficits. What makes a water deficit so hard to swallow?

Your body is mostly water (7/10ths). You lose nearly 4 ltrs daily through exhalation, perpiration, getting rid of bodily wastes, etc - that's on an average day. Sooooo, if you lose 4 ltrs and take in 1 ltr - Voila! It's a water deficit!

Caffeine IS a diuretic - period (I'm not a fat cat who's gonna make $ off you). Believing that caffeinated drinks count the same as water is pure wishful thinking.

Put these facts together and what pops out? You NEED to drink/eat/consume about 4 ltrs of water everyday to keep your heart and brain and bowels and skin, etc hydrated properly. Most people are constantly somewhat dehydrated.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Yes, count it. Caffeine is not a diuretic unless you consume 500 - 800mg. That's a lot of tea and even then, you've consumed so much water at that point, the effects are negligible.

Can you point me to where you got those numbers? I thought the opposite and would like to see evidence to the contrary.
  • brower47
    Options

Can you point me to where you got those numbers? I thought the opposite and would like to see evidence to the contrary.

Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661
  • brower47
    Options

Your body is mostly water (7/10ths). You lose nearly 4 ltrs daily through exhalation, perpiration, getting rid of bodily wastes, etc - that's on an average day. Sooooo, if you lose 4 ltrs and take in 1 ltr - Voila! It's a water deficit!

Caffeine IS a diuretic - period (I'm not a fat cat who's gonna make $ off you). Believing that caffeinated drinks count the same as water is pure wishful thinking.

Put these facts together and what pops out? You NEED to drink/eat/consume about 4 ltrs of water everyday to keep your heart and brain and bowels and skin, etc hydrated properly. Most people are constantly somewhat dehydrated.

I like facts too. I posted some.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    A few years back Weight Watchers started counting caffeinated beverages toward your water total too. As I recall the reason was a study that showed that for people who were used to consuming caffeine, it was not as dehydrating as it would be for someone who did not drink caffeine previously. Basically you can build up a tolerance.
  • HealthWoke0ish
    HealthWoke0ish Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I like facts too. I posted some.

I like you. :)

But yeah, I've read those number 500-800 somewhere else too. I count coffee/tea/etc as water whenever I drink 'em (not very often).
  • KristiCee67
    KristiCee67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Wow...aren't you warm and welcoming. YES, it's a serious thread. I had a question and asked it. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
  • KristiCee67
    KristiCee67 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who posted his or her thoughts....at least the ones who did it without being snarky. :drinker:
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Of course you can it's mostly water... Look at it this way, if you drank the water and ate the tea leaves, would it discount the water? No... Oh and if you drank tea and nothing else would you get dehydrated and shrivel up, all you " it's a diuretic people"... No. :bigsmile:
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Can you clarify what you mean by "iced tea"? there are so many variations.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I know it isn't peer reviewed, but rather a 'digest' of some peer-reviewed studies, but I did read in the New Scientist that if you regularly consume tea, your body can and does adapt to the caffiene, so the effects are negligable. Coffee, apparently has more caffiene than most bodies can adapt to, so is still mildly diuretic, even if you are used to it.

Just a point to whoever started talking about how our bodies are made up of x % water etc......most of our food is mostly water too....

Edited to add - you can easily tell if you are dehydrated by the coulor of your urine.
  • lablueluna
    Options
    Tea IS a diuretic and will dehydrate you instead of hydrating you. Everyone is titled to their own opinion and it's apparent that Science or whatever authorities of nutrition and health people are referring to don't necessarily agree on one thought regarding this. I still think it's better to drink water that is not caffeinated for the purposes of hydration.

I have to say that I'm pretty much done with the snark with the pedantic tone conveyed in many of the responses in the community forums. We all aren't going to agree but there is a polite way to disagree and an immature, impolite way to disagree.

I hope your question got answered, Kristi, despite the snark.
  • lablueluna
    Options

Wow...aren't you warm and welcoming. YES, it's a serious thread. I had a question and asked it. If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

AGREED! If you can't be polite on the forums, then don't bother posting.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    <snip>

Wrong.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21450118

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2012/06/08/water-eight-glasses-myth.html
  • tequila09
    tequila09 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Do whatever you want.

Personally I would only count water as water..
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    KRISTI, my doctor said the same thing that LEPERT said. I count mine as water.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    Yes, as long as you're not loading it with oodles of sugar.
  • DalekBrittany
    DalekBrittany Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Hi :) Log it, because I'm assuming it has calories. If you're worried about one glass counting towards it, don't worry about it. If all you drink is iced tea, then you've probably consumed enough for it to be a diuretic. And you should probably drink some good ol' water :)