Metabolism vs Calories

Options
If metabolism is real, then why is calories in and calories out even a thing? How can someone have a better metabolism than someone else of the same height and gender, body farm etc but they need the same amount of calories and same amount of calories burned to lose the same amount of weight?

Replies

• midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sorry, body frame*
  • maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    How a person's body deals with calories in terms of metabolism is certainly important (yes, Virginia, metabolism is real). At the end of the day, though, whether one has a highly revved metabolism or not, weight gain/loss will be due to calories consumed vs. calories burned. This is why, in my mind, guidelines are just that - guidelines. Folks will need to use their own data and adjust accordingly.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Metabolism varies by person. That is the calories out part of the equation.
    Muscle mass, bodyfat, daily activity and any number of other factors can affect metabolism which can account for varied numbers between two people of the same height, gender, etc.
    There will always be those who are higher or lower than average, but the majority of people will fall within the average range. However, outside of a medical conditions it will not vary to a huge extent.

Any calculator figures the average. There is always a degree of estimation. It is meant as a starting place. People should track carefully and adjust up or down as needed.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    This is what I call a "don't major in the minors" question.

Sure, metabolism varies somewhat from person to person. But for any individual person, that person has a pretty narrow calorie range that is "maintenance" and eating more than that will cause weight gain over time, and eating below that range will cause weight loss over time. Know your maintenance -- starting with the general height/weight/age/activity level / sex formulas and refining over time as you get to know from careful calorie accounting how your body responds -- and act accordingly.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out applies regardless of your metabolism. Your "calories out"(your metabolic rate plus exercise) might be higher or lower than someone else's, but if you eat more than that you will gain, and if you eat less you will lose. There is no way around that.

Metabolism doesn't change the equation itself, it just affects the "calories out" number.

• Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hormones, Activity level and lifestyle all play a part too.

• midpath
    midpath Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So people with a higher metabolism just burn more calories during exercise?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Your "calories out" are going to be different from someone else's "calories out". No two people are exactly alike, even if they're the same height, weight and age. People with a higher metabolism will burn more calories throughout the day, both during exercise and simply by being alive and doing normal daily activity.

You have to consume fewer calories than you, personally, burn. Not fewer calories than the next guy burns.

That is all.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    midpath wrote: »

More calories burned during exercise, more calories burned through NEAT, slightly higher BMR than the standard, any of these things can contribute to burning slightly more calories than another person.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, differences in body fat percentage, differences in the amount you move around each day, and differences in how strenuously you exercise. Just to name a few.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    midpath wrote: »

The majority of difference of calories burned during exercise, assuming the two are the same weight, would be intensity, not metabolism. It would be a factor, but a very small one.
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You adjust as you see fit to suit your needs.

My grandma and I are the same height. We both have lots to lose and eat the same calories per day. She loses 300g per week versus my 1800g. We obviously differ greatly but the online calculators are a good starting point.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Differences in metabolism are usually insignificant from person to person. Activity level is much more significant.
  • holly55555
    holly55555 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    As everyone said, these numbers are based on averages. Age is a huge factor when it comes to metabolism.

When I was 16, I could eat 3000-5000 cal a day and would not gain weight. Seriously, I was eating huge meals, fast food, and I was always starving. My doctor even had me drink Ensures to try to gain weight - but my body would not do it. I was 5'8 and 106 lbs.

Now at 24, I have to count and keep track of every calorie. I'm still thin, but I definitely gain weight if I don't control my eating and I now have to use MFP to get those gained lbs in the last few years off. My metabolism slowed down around age 20.

So, averages just don't apply to everyone. I was an extreme case when I was young. My little brother is 20 and he still has that same crazy fast metabolism I used to have. His will probably slow down too.

And it changes again and again as you age. So, calories in/out is based on average - what your metabolism is most likely like for your height, age, etc. It gives you something to go off of.
  • hsmith0930
    hsmith0930 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Everyone has put it really well. The equations are pretty good estimates at what a person's metabolism should burn in given condition (age, height, weight, etc). If you know you have a faster metabolism, you might be able to eat a bit more than what the formulas say, if you know you have a slower metabolism, don't exceed what the formulas say, or add exercise in order to burn off the extra calories.

I happen to know that my PCOS will make it more difficult to lose weight without lowering my carb intake to a point I don't want to, so I have to try to incorporate more exercise than most people would to lose the same amount. It isn't "fair" but it is what it is.