did losing weight make you look sick?

Options
snipeista
snipeista Posts: 9 Member
I'm curious to know if losing 80+ lbs, which got you into a "healthy weight" According to height and weight charts, made you look sickly? I told some people my goal to lose that amount of weight over the next 2 or more years, and they freaked out. "You'll look sick!" They say. I'm 5'6" and 227lbs. My weight should be around 135lbs. Too extreme?.

Replies

• IAmTheGlue
    IAmTheGlue Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    5'6" & 135 is a healthy weight. You will know closer to your goal what is right for you. It's your body and nobody else gets to determine what you look like. Ignore them and stick to whatever is right for you.
  • never2bstopped
    never2bstopped Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    80+ lbs sounds like a lot of weight to people who don't know what weight looks like. When you say 80lbs people see an 8year old child, they don't see how that much weight could possibly be clinging to you. When people hear 80 lbs they think it will all come off hips butt thighs and stomach, they don't see the 10-15 lbs that will come off your back, the 5 lbs that come off your arms, and the 8-10 lbs that come off your chest. They also don't realize heavier people hold a large amount of water and inflammation weight which will factor in as well.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Goal weight sounds good to me I'm 5" 6"" and was on the thin side growing up. 122 is too little on me, 126 is OK-and the weight I was before kids-and briefly between 1st and 2nd and 2nd and 3rd. I look quite fine at 142-my divorce weight!

So 135 and 5 6 is ok in my books.

(I'm shooting for 170 for now. I have lost 5% of my body weight this round of MFP.)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 135 and don't look sick. It's a healthy weight. People don't know what they're talking about.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I used to weight 230lbs and lost to 160lbs. People thought I was sick. That I was too small.

So yes, I can understand that. When you get down to lower weights, you'll see what works for you and go from there.

Now I'm at 252, was at 292, want to get to 175. I'll see how I look then decide if I need to loose more or not.

See what's right for you.
  • shabazhussain522
    shabazhussain522 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Why are you posting this here? From what I can see, this isn't a 'Success Story'. Please refrain from posting in incorrect topics next time.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I think if you lose the weight at a reasonable pace (not too fast) and make sure your nutrition is still good, 135 is a fine goal. I think when people look sick from weight loss it's due to losing too quickly for the skin to keep up with the new size, or from generally poor nutrition.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Eh. Doesn't sound too extreme to me. I've lost a lot of weight and still have a bit more I'd like to lose, but I don't think I look sick. Most people just say that I look great. My aunt however, wanted me to stop when I was in the 180's (30+ lbs ago) which is obese for my height. I'm not sure if it's she actually sees me as being too thin or if it is coming from a stand point of that she's obese and "can't lose weight". It's not like she hasn't seen me at 120-130lbs before. She hasn't said I look sick yet, but I haven't seen her in awhile.
  • westcoastgrl21
    westcoastgrl21 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Are you getting this reaction from people who are very overweight? I'm betting that 135 lbs sounds TINY to someone who is 300 lbs., simply because they have no concept of what that looks like. I'm 5'7" and I never crack 135 lbs. My "high" weight during off-season is 128-130, and that puts me in a size 4-6. It's not tiny, and I don't look sickly. At all. In fact, at 130 I'm a bit jiggly.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 90 pounds, slowly, over several years. I'm not *quite* in the normal range, but close.

I look healthier than I ever have and as much as ten years younger than I actually am. Seriously, people's jaws drop open when they find out that I am almost 40--including doctors who should really know better!

Lose weight by eating healthy foods and getting good exercise and you won't have anything to worry about.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7. Start weight. 183. Current weight 137.
    I'm very happy at this weight. :)
    Compliments across the board from everyone except... One "friend" who gave me nothing but grief throughout my entire weight loss journey.
    Her opinion. One thing, insulting me, just no.
    We are no longer friends. Oh well.
    And she weighs all of 102. WTH ?
    YOU will know when you reach your happy weight.
  • LovingLifeInCalifornia
    LovingLifeInCalifornia Posts: 9,362 Member
    Options
    Hard to know if you need to go to 135...until you get closer. It's in the healthy weight range...but I'm 5'5" and hoping to go to 140...6 more lbs. to go

Some had said I could go to 125...but I feel good where I am and I'm in a size 6...not sure I need to lose more. At a certain point, it becomes just an arbitrary number on the scale...
  • aubreyjordan
    aubreyjordan Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and my goal is 130lbs. Make sure you do some strength training to retain muscle while you lose.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I'm the same height and I'm 136lbs. Nope, I don't look sick one little bit (except when I'm sick--boohoo).
  • countscalories
    countscalories Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Most people who say we look "sickly" after losing a lot of weight (over 100 lbs for me, with 19 to go) are usually jealous of our new look. Remember, a "fat friend" is the best accessory, and always makes the other person look smaller. Thin people who make non-supportive comments are just afraid you'll look better than they will-- and they're right! Screw 'em.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Why are you posting this here? From what I can see, this isn't a 'Success Story'. Please refrain from posting in incorrect topics next time.

1) who made you Forum Boss?
    2) seems to me that the Success Stories forum is the PERFECT place to be asking this type of question of people who have had... success
  • snipeista
    snipeista Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you to everyone who posted. I was surprised, and pleased, with the response. I figured might as well ask people who've been down the road I want to head down. Always nice to get the POV from people with success stories. And, just a side note, people in my life are typically overweight or obese. So, I can't actually take their advice on healthy weight too seriously. Hearing that some of you were in my shoes at one point in time, and reached your healthy weight, is the fuel I need to stay with it.

Thank You! :D
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    You said it. If your friends are overweight or obese, their opinions don't matter when it comes to what your ideal weight is. I wouldn't mention your dieting or weight loss to them anymore. They might try to sabotage you. You are already very attractive. Going to absolutely stunning at 135!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!