How do I pick back up once motivation had been lost...?

Options
Hey guys, just some quick food for thought:

After about 2 months and a week or so of dieting and exercising, and getting good results (a 23 lb weight loss), the hype is finally wearing off on me. I've been stuck around the same weight on the scale, and I'm beginning to be a little bit more hesitant on going to the gym, as well as wanting to call and order/eat an entire pizza and a dozen cookies. I think all of this "clean eating" and such I've been doing for so long is starting to drive me crazy.

Any tips on how to bring the fun back into dieting, and getting results? I'm pretty desperate, because I don't want to leave this behind. Summer is only a few months away.

Thanks,
Katie.

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate, or brownies, or cookies or etc. virtually everyday. I wouldn't be able to stick to my 'diet' if all I allowed myself to eat was boil chicken and lettuce.
    I also found a love for Hot Yoga. When I don't feel like exercising, I can usually convince myself to go to yoga. The flow and foundation classes are hard work, definitely good for the muscles, but it's something I can almost always convince myself to go to.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i eat exactly what i want and lose pretty consistently. my diary is open.

no need to torture yourself!
  • Adiemus200
    Adiemus200 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You sound burned out. :-( Maby try sticking to maintenence calories for a while. Then try a larger difficult when you feel mentality ready. Sometimes I struggle with this. I have to mentality in the mindset to loose other wise I really can't be bothered, especially when life gets on top of me.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    These are posts that encourage me to continue doing what I'm doing. If I want a piece of pizza, I am going to eat a piece of pizza. I will account for it. I will work out if I need to , but dagnab it, I am going to have it.

Granted, if you look at my diary, a lot of days I do eat the same foods...but that's because I like them and want to eat them. I have made a rule that I am not going to eat things that I don't absolutely love. I will not force myself to eat something "just because it's good for me." I will eat it if I like it. Therefore, I will not be eating gardenburgers or other "substitutes" - I don't like them let alone love them.

I have lost 15 pounds since Jan 25 following the IIFYM method - If It Fits Your Macros. As long as I'm being nourished, as long as I stay in my calorie goals, I am eating it.

What people who are "denying themselves because they have no self control" don't understand is - they are making it worse by letting those cravings and desires build up. Think of a tea kettle - eventually if you don't release some of that pressure, you're gonna blow!

A couple weeks ago I had an "Oh, hang it" day and ate a lot of girl scout cookies. Because I wanted to. No plans to binge and go off plan...had every intention of getting back to "basics" the next day. I still lost weight. And even though I have 3 boxes of girl scout cookies Thin Mints in my freezer, I have not even been tempted to open them and pig out.

The other night I had an awards banquet that involved alcohol and cheesecake - and I still lost weight. I didn't give up, I didn't feel burnt out - on Saturday morning I went for a walk/run with the dog and ate a little bit lighter than normal. On Sunday I ate a little lighter than normal (and still was NOT hungry or even tempted to overindulge in ANYTHING...)

Because I haven't been denying myself all along. No food is taboo - some foods I choose not to eat because while I like them, I don't LOVE them enough to waste precious calories on them (bread and Dr. Pepper, I'm talkin' to you!)

And I'm into this - almost 2 months as well - and loving every minute and enjoy the foods I am eating. I don't long for anything - I can have it if I want.
  • hhnkhl
    hhnkhl Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    If you want a cookie, eat just one cookie.
    Hamburger? Just the burger...no fries...no soda...
    Pizza? Just a slice. I use a paper towel and try to remove as much as grease as possible before i eat it.
    Try to limit yourself to one thing you want to eat a day without overdoing it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    OP - sounds like you have restricted yourself to miseryville…

here is my advice. You can eat the foods that you like, like pizza, cookies, ice cream, etc, AND lose weight, AND hit your goals. YOu just need to make sure that your overall diet is one that incorporate nutrient dense foods like vegetables, fish, whole grains, chicken, eggs, etc, and make sure that you hit your calorie/macro/micro goal for the day?

as for weight loss stalling out.

how long have you been dieting for and how many calories have you been consuming over that time?
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Check out "if it fits your macros". A good alternative to clean eating that allows you to fit in some treats, while eating mostly healthy whole foods

http://iifym.com/