What is the truth about interval training??

misskriz
misskriz Posts: 5 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been running HIIT 2-3 times a week on the treadmill and squeezing in one hour spin per week. I've been doing this with a day rest in between because I've been told that I should rest. I'd like to start weight training on my off days, however, am concerned I'll be over doing it on those days "I should" be resting. I'm a bit strapped for time during the week, this is why I cannot do both HIIT and training together on those gym days. Also,if someone could explain the difference between aerobic in anaerobic for me ( in simple terms) would be so grateful... I just cannot figure out how the two differ & how each benefits my fitness. Would appreciate any advice or information. Thanks!

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    What specifically are you doing that you refer to as "HIIT"?
  • misskriz
    misskriz Posts: 5 Member
    25 min on the treadmill. Four sprints for 60 seconds each sprint with 2 min jog in between - highest incline at 4.0 & running at 6.0 max speed on the 4th sprint. Cool down 5 min
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    misskriz wrote: »
    Also,if someone could explain the difference between aerobic in anaerobic for me ( in simple terms) would be so grateful...

With respect to training, aerobic range is where oxygen is used to convert chemical energy in the body, anaerobic is where that conversion uses other means, predominantly the bodies electrical system.

The former is efficient, and sustainable, the latter is inefficient and not sustainable but working in that range can help improve the capacity to burn oxygen in the lower ranges; improve VO2Max.

The threshold between the two is the point at which the respiratory system can no longer process the delivered oxygen fast enough to deliver to the demand. Given that you're talking about running then the paces that you run at, and the heart rates that you sustain, can vary for everyone depending on your conditioning and base fitness.

So thinking about training effect, your long steady runs are firmly in the aerobic range, and consume energy steadily. So for me that'll be in the order of 15-25km at about a 10 minute kilometre. They build aerobic capcity, improve endurane and stamina and as it's efficient energy conversion draws energy from a range of course.

If you reach the stage where you're around the lactate threshold, the point at which your system becomes less efficient baout disposing of the waste products, then that's a comfortably hard run. Pretty focussed stuff. I'll do a threshold run for about an hour, at between 5:00 and 5:15 min km. That raises the threshold, so allows greater effort for a longer peroid of time.

True high intensity work will get you into the range where you're working at about 95% maximum, and improves VO2 Max as above. This can have some benefit on consuming fat, although the actul calorie expenditure is pretty negligible. Lots of effort over a short period of time is still not a huge gross effect. The demand on the system is pretty debilitating, and leaves most people sufficiently drained that further training afterwards isn't viable.

Different HIIT protocols have slightly different effects and there is no best way, it depends on your objectives.

Of course using all of that information really involves understanding what Maximum Heart Rate really is, and 220-age is a gross enough approximation to not be particularly meaningful in establishing the ranges.

• foursirius
    foursirius Posts: 321 Member
    Aerobic vs. Anaerobic is with oxygyn vs without oxygen. Essentially will you be relying on oxygen to fuel your metabolism for your muscles energy or will the muscles rely on a different process san oxygen to get the energy to contract. Not a perfect explanation but good enough for typing it out on the cell phone.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    In order to fit in weights you could do your HIIT training and spin, then add 2 days of weights. That would still give you 2 days of rest. You don't have to have a rest day in between each workout day. However, you know how your body feels after a workout, so you are the best judge.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    HIIT is hard on the body, as is strength training. I would suggest if you take up strength training you lower your HIIT to one day/week in order to give your muscles time to recover.