Not eating enough?

Options
I keep getting the message that I am not eating enough. I changed my eating habit and I am eating healthier but My Fitness Pal keeps saying that I am not eating enough. What am I doing wrong. If I eat anymore, I know I will over eat, which I don't want to do. HELP!!!!

Replies

• tlblood
    tlblood Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    It is not recommended (by MFP or any other dietician/nutritionist I've known) to eat less than 1200 calories. If you're getting this message frequently, then you are likely eating less than 1200 calories too often. The main reason, as I've read it, is that it is very difficult to get the minimum amounts of carbs, fat, and protein that your body needs just to function if you're eating less than that. If you're tracking your calories here, just make your choices carefully. I find it very difficult to over eat when I'm doing a good job tracking. I over eat when I stop tracking.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Your diary is private so this is generic advice.

When you set your goals in MFP, the site estimates what you'll burn in a day thru normal daily activity based on your height, age, weight, gender and activity level. Then you say you want to lose *2 pounds a week and MFP subtracts 1000 from that. This gives you a goal to eat of 1200 or above. Your deficit to lose weight is already accounted for. And if you exercise, you will need additional calories in.

You need to eat to fuel your body, and provide it with proper nutrition. Take care of it now, and it will take care of you in the long run. Deprive it now and you could suffer some negative effects. Vitamin deficiencies, unhealthy skin/hair/nails, etc.

If you're having trouble hitting your calorie goal and are constantly ending the day too low - look at what substitutions you've made. Maybe you've gone too far. Have you gone to a lot of fat free alternatives? Your body needs fat, to absorb certain vitamins and other reasons. Switch back to some 2% or full fat options. Eat some cheese on your salads. Have some peanuts. Put some avocado in your salad. Use some olive oil when you cook. Eat some fruit. Eat slightly larger portions of what you're eating now.
  • BeautifullyFlawed1
    BeautifullyFlawed1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I received some great information. It's nice to know that there are so many helpful people available to help me with this journey.