Trying to gain weight on a restrictive diet

rubywly
rubywly Posts: 14 Member
I have a fairly restrictive diet, and I'm trying to gain a few kilos
I'm currenty 1.7m (5"7) at 46-47kg (102lbs-ish)

Problem is there are a lot of foods I don't/shouldn't eat, except in order to not lose any more weight I've still been eating them, but ultimately I'd like to gain some weight without having to eat those foods.

Things I don't and shouldn't eat:
dairy, yeast, gluten, red meats (except lamb), shellfish, heavily processed soy, nightshades, sugars. I'm sure there's more, but I can't remember right now...

At the moment it's just a LOT of veggies and fruits, but I can't get my calories up a lot of the time so I'm eating junkfood as well, but I'd rather not.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    that's a lot of restrictions. I'm assuming its allergies?

how are you with nuts and/or peanuts? They are good for you and pack a lot of calories in a small amount of food.

Are you able to meet with a dietician for a meal plan?
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Peanut or any nut butters, coconut, non-dairy cheeses, full-fat alternatives to dairy ie almond, coconut, rice milks, avocado, adding in oils to your cooking, non-dairy based ice-cream, supplementary drinks like ensure or protein powders......

You may have to revisit those items of 'should not eats'.....and be less restrictive unless it is for a medical condition.
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Olive oil, avocado, nuts and but butters, eat the skin on roasted chicken, potatoes... Why can't you eat the stuff you listed? Are there allergies or a digestive disease in play?
  • rubywly
    edited March 2015
    Yep. Allergies...or more like autoimmune disease and I'm trying to keep it under control.

I am starting to eat handfuls of almonds whenever I can these days and hope it will help. I've also been making my own honey peanut butter and I just eat spoonfuls of that.
    Definitely been leaving all the skin on my chicken. I should probably stir-fry (with oil) more veggies instead of just boiling and steaming them!

I've no seen non-dairy, non-soy ice creams in the freezers at the super market
  • LavenderLeaves
    LavenderLeaves Posts: 195 Member
    Are you in the US? So Delicious has a line of coconut milk ice creams that don't have any soy in them. Like the others said, any nut butters that you can eat, eat more of. Avocados are great and calorie dense. Can you eat dates? They are delicious and very calorie dense - it's really easy to make date/coconut balls that are delicious and, again, calorie dense.
  • rubywly
    I'm in Australia. I checked So Delicious, and it looks like there's on stockist quite a distance from me! I'll have to look around some of the non-chain grocery stores!
  • Allmygains
    Allmygains Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    try eating a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter just before you sleep, your body will go into recovery mode and thus will not be able to burn the energy you've just consumed in the peanut butter.

Consume healthy Carbs - wholemeal Pastas and breads (gluten free) and starchy foods (potatoes).
    I'm assuming your calorie maintenance would be around 1400-1600 calories a day.

if that's the case, have 300 Grams of Pasta which is close to 1k calories alone and what ever else you choose to eat it with. Bolognese with some xtra Olive oil will really bump up your calories.

also slowing your metabolic rate down by reducing the number of meals you eat a day, can be an effective way to add some extra weight.

Calories per Marco :
    Fat = 9 Cals per gram
    Protein = 4 Cals per gram

good luck :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    Fried vegetables (like zucchini) will help since there's oil in it. Or adding oil and vinegar to your salad.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Allmygains wrote: »
    try eating a couple of tablespoons of peanut butter just before you sleep, your body will go into recovery mode and thus will not be able to burn the energy you've just consumed in the peanut butter.

Consume healthy Carbs - wholemeal Pastas and breads and starchy foods (potatoes).

if that's the case, have 300 Grams of Pasta which is close to 1k calories alone and what ever else you choose to eat it with. Bolognese with some xtra Olive oil will really bump up your calories.

also slowing your metabolic rate down by reducing the number of meals you eat a day, can be an effective way to add some extra weight.

Calories per Marco :
    Fat = 9 Cals per gram

Poppycock, meal timing has nothing to do with it.

OP
    Get creative with the coconut milk. Fatty meat and fish, potatoes, sweet potatoes and butter.

Which foods has the doctor specifically told you to avoid?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member

Consume healthy Carbs - wholemeal Pastas and breads and starchy foods (potatoes).

Calories per Marco :
    Fat = 9 Cals per gram

Poppycock, meal timing has nothing to do with it.

OP
    Get creative with the coconut milk. Fatty meat and fish, potatoes, sweet potatoes and butter.

Reading this I now really want to try mashed sweet potatoes made with coconut milk. Putting that on the todo list...
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    I've always wanted to try this recipe, but I've never been able to justify the calories (and I would absolutely eat the whole thing). It's a coconut granita, made with full-fat coconut milk. It would probably be excellent with some roasted cashews on top and chocolate syrup. http://www.dessertfortwo.com/2014/06/coconut-snow/
  • rubywly
    Thank you for suggestions! I will definitely try to add more fatty foods into my diet!
    Though, I can't eat potatoes (or tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) or anything else that falls into the nightshade category.

Actually, the doctor didn't tell me to avoid any foods..I told the doctor I was going to try a new diet and he said he was interested to know the results! It's the internet and months of research that have told me what to eat and what to avoid. I know how crazy that sounds, but it's working.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    rubywly wrote: »
    Thank you for suggestions! I will definitely try to add more fatty foods into my diet!
    Though, I can't eat potatoes (or tomatoes, eggplant, peppers) or anything else that falls into the nightshade category.

Actually, the doctor didn't tell me to avoid any foods..I told the doctor I was going to try a new diet and he said he was interested to know the results! It's the internet and months of research that have told me what to eat and what to avoid. I know how crazy that sounds, but it's working.

So are you doing Paleo or do you have a medical issue? I'm confused as to the reason now.
  • thatstheticket
    thatstheticket Posts: 16 Member
    If you don't mind my asking, what is the name of the autoimmune disorder you are trying to manage?
  • rubywly

So are you doing Paleo or do you have a medical issue? I'm confused as to the reason now.

Not paleo. All the info I've read have been from others who are trying and succeeding with the same things.
    If you don't mind my asking, what is the name of the autoimmune disorder you are trying to manage?

I have psoriasis, psa, eczema
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member

So basically you just stopped eating a bunch of things and decided that not eating 20 different things means that you cannot eat those 20 different things.. Did your doctor diagnose your with an auto-immune disease? Based on you stating that your doctor did not tell you to abvoid any foods, I'm going to guess that you pulled the diagnosis out of your butt after doing some Googling, yes?

If this is the case, then stop avoiding all of these foods. Get ACTUAL testing done. A minor elimination diet done properly is fine if you are having issues that aren't being caught on tests or you are simply not in a position to go get testing done. I did an elimination diet about 5 years ago, first with dairy for a few months and after no changes I tried eliminating gluten (having reintroduced dairy already). This fixed my digestive symptoms. Because I did not get any specific tests done, I do not call myself Celiac, I simply know that this is an ingredient that I feel better not consuming.

So.... you should probably actually get a diagnosis first if this has yet to be done, and/or do a proper elimination diet, not just cut out foods because some website told you that you have an AID and can't eat x and y.

Otherwise just eat everything you are already eating, but more of it. Poultry, fish (unless you are saying that you can't eat any marine life, which I'm guessing you aren't), oil, butter, peanuts/nuts, nut butters, eggs, rice and rice pasta....

And fruit = sugar, so uh. If you can't/shouldn't eat sugar does that mean that you aren't eating fruits, despite saying you are eating lots of them? If the fruit isn't bothering you then I'll assume that your diagnosis is not doctor-derived and that you'd probably be fine eating most or all of what you've cut out. Could be that just one of these ingredients was causing your issues.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member

Not paleo. All the info I've read have been from others who are trying and succeeding with the same things.

And these were all verified by your doctor, who did extensive testing? Or you saw some dry patches and think you have eczema?

Because this is an important distinction that will dictate how people should advise you.
  • rubywly
    ana3067 wrote: »

And these were all verified by your doctor, who did extensive testing? Or you saw some dry patches and think you have eczema?

Because this is an important distinction that will dictate how people should advise you.

Yes, it's verified. I don't know why anyone would want to self-diagnose psoriasis.

• rubywly

So basically you just stopped eating a bunch of things and decided that not eating 20 different things means that you cannot eat those 20 different things.. Did your doctor diagnose your with an auto-immune disease? Based on you stating that your doctor did not tell you to abvoid any foods, I'm going to guess that you pulled the diagnosis out of your butt after doing some Googling, yes?

If this is the case, then stop avoiding all of these foods. Get ACTUAL testing done. A minor elimination diet done properly is fine if you are having issues that aren't being caught on tests or you are simply not in a position to go get testing done. I did an elimination diet about 5 years ago, first with dairy for a few months and after no changes I tried eliminating gluten (having reintroduced dairy already). This fixed my digestive symptoms. Because I did not get any specific tests done, I do not call myself Celiac, I simply know that this is an ingredient that I feel better not consuming.

So.... you should probably actually get a diagnosis first if this has yet to be done, and/or do a proper elimination diet, not just cut out foods because some website told you that you have an AID and can't eat x and y.

Otherwise just eat everything you are already eating, but more of it. Poultry, fish (unless you are saying that you can't eat any marine life, which I'm guessing you aren't), oil, butter, peanuts/nuts, nut butters, eggs, rice and rice pasta....

And fruit = sugar, so uh. If you can't/shouldn't eat sugar does that mean that you aren't eating fruits, despite saying you are eating lots of them? If the fruit isn't bothering you then I'll assume that your diagnosis is not doctor-derived and that you'd probably be fine eating most or all of what you've cut out. Could be that just one of these ingredients was causing your issues.

I am not self-diagnosed after "some Googling". I have been living with it for over 15 years and dealing with treatments that haven't been working. After 15 years, I decided to speak with people who are also living with this and their success stories with diet. That's when I told my doctor about it and he said there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing since nothing else is working for me and that he'd be very interested to know if I have any improvements....and yes, I HAVE improvements
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member

I am not self-diagnosed after "some Googling". I have been living with it for over 15 years and dealing with treatments that haven't been working. After 15 years, I decided to speak with people who are also living with this and their success stories with diet. That's when I told my doctor about it and he said there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing since nothing else is working for me and that he'd be very interested to know if I have any improvements....and yes, I HAVE improvements

Good luck to you then and perhaps if you could give an update once in while that would be helpful for others. My ex wife has psoriasis as well and anything that could help her I would let her know.