What food items to take over seas?

Options
Getting a list made of foods to buy for my hubby's work trip to Russia. He leaves for 3 weeks on Sunday. All he knows is he'll be staying in a settlement. Hoping its a hotel but could be a group home. Not knowing what he will have for food options I'm trying to pack a box of stuff for him to put in his checked bags. What would you pack? I'm sure he'll be able to find places to eat out but still needs something for snacks and breakfast.
Larabars
Granola Bars
Almonds
Cans of tuna?
?????

Peanut butter (for protein)?

Replies

• poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Breakfast drink packets or protein shake powder, most any place has milk or water to mix and a shake ball bottle. peanuts, beef jerky, turkey jerky.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    for only 3 weeks? probably just protein powder. when i travel i like to dive in to the local food culture.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    He has to avoid a lot of drinks and food while overseas. He has a low immune system due to leukemia. He relies on a lot of what he can carry since he gets sick often from fresh fruit/veggies or water overseas. This will be his longest trip for him so he's a little nervous. He will be in a low populated area and wont have access to driving. He's given a guide but only to translate as needed.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Breakfast drink packets or protein shake powder, most any place has milk or water to mix and a shake ball bottle. peanuts, beef jerky, turkey jerky.

jerky all the way
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I'd just let him eat the local food so he can go through customs without having to declare a lot of foods that might not be importable.

Maybe send him with Milk of Magnesia, Pepto, Tylenol, and Alka-Seltzer because the Vodka can be a little rough on the stomach, and the head.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that they have food in Russia
  • courtneymal17
    courtneymal17 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    You need to make sure he's allowed to bring in whatever you pack him. I'm not sure about Russia, but a lot of countries (including the states!) are picky about what type of food items you're allowed to bring in. Even if they allow it, there's typically a limit, so make sure you check before you pack them...it'll save him a HUGE hassle. Customs suckkkks.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    for only 3 weeks? probably just protein powder. when i travel i like to dive in to the local food culture.
    this!!
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Russia has a rich food culture. He's going to get over there and eat everything except what you pack him. You'll end up unpacking it when he gets home. That, and what you're talking about putting into his luggage will cost him an arm and a leg to take on the flight. There are weight restrictions on luggage. If you add 15 pounds of canned goods and cookie bars, he's going to cross 50 pounds before he puts in his boots.

The things you need to be most mindful of packing are sufficient quantities of toothpaste, hair care products, soap, baby wipes, and antiperspirant. If he's in a hotel, he will have plenty of hot running water and private facilities for bathing. If he's in a hostel, he won't. What he will have, though, is lots and lots of delicious food to eat. And baby wipes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I'd just let him eat the local food so he can go through customs without having to declare a lot of foods that might not be importable.

Maybe send him with Milk of Magnesia, Pepto, Tylenol, and Alka-Seltzer because the Vodka can be a little rough on the stomach, and the head.

^This.