Splenda Sabotage

Options
Like many, I tend to think of Splenda as a 0 calorie sweetener and it is reported as such in the My Fitness database. The issue is that Splenda does contain calories and they do add up. Assume one uses 10 packets of Splenda a day in various forms. That is over 30 calories a day.

Because a Splenda serving contains less than 5 calories, Splenda can report that it contains 0 calories when in fact the typical yellow package serving contains 3.36 calories. See the following Wikipedia link for more info: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Splenda#Energy_.28caloric.29_content.

Frankly, I'm fed up with the games that the FDA allows companies to play in reporting calorie and other contents. They are sabotaging us and contributing to weight gain in America.

Replies

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    30 calories a day is contributing to weight gain in America?

52452427.jpg
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    For the record, there is an entry in the data base that has calories for Splenda. I use it and log my Splenda intake. If your feels are so deep and meaningful about it, it's there for you to use.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    the calories in 0 calorie diet soda are going to rock your world
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't count my daily 2-4 packets of Splenda, 2-3 pieces of sugar free gum, 1-2 cans of diet cola, nor some of my medications (which have calories in the inactive ingredients). All of that is probably about 50+ calories daily not logged. Looking at my weight loss graph--Nope. Not a problem.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    This is clearly a troll post
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    You are looking a little red there comrade.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    If you swallow toothpaste, does it have calories?
  • killerqueen21
    killerqueen21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    lol no.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Black coffee has calories too, don't forget that.
  • wootrition
    wootrition Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    :D:D:D
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I hope that I never get quite this serious about calorie counting. It seems like it may be a miserable existence. But now that you know what you know...you can make adjustments, but I don't think that 30 calories is derailing ones weight loss...umm...good luck! :smiley:
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    To be fair, there are some discrepancies with the FDA. Here in Europe no product can say it's 0 calories unless it's water. Hence Diet Coke, Coke Zero etc all say they contain 1 calorie.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Gasp! Well that explains why I don't lose weight... I log my food to the gram (assuming that is available in the database), but I had no idea that I am consuming thousands of calories of Splenda. Arghh!! *sarcasm*

OK, Now to be serious... sucralose has no calories. None. Zero. Zilch. Here's why: In order to have calories, a substance must be capable of actually being metabolized by the body. So even though sucralose is created from sugar (they change the molecular structure), it has no calories because it passes through.

Here's the catch: If you are using a tabletop sweetener (as compared to foods pre-made with Splenda such as some diet soda), there are added ingredients for texture and volume. Those calories are usually less than 1 per serving, so don't start blaming weight gain on Splenda just yet.
  • FatMoojor
    FatMoojor Posts: 483 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    But they are putting fluoride in the water, it's the fluoride that's making me fat. Not McDonalds, but fluoride. :smile:
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0d5h5tw9E1r17icbo1_400.gif
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Passing that law making consumption of Splenda compulsory was an infringement of human rights. Sabotage!
  • Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    If you just ate real dark chocolate, there would no debate over anything! B)
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    If 30 calories a day is sabotage, you may need to rethink the rest of your life.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Oh noes! How dare the FDA allow companies to follow the rules that it writes.

You're gonna feel really let down when you learn that the FDA allows up to a 20% margin of error on all nutritional label information.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's the FDA's fault you're fat, definitely not yours. Personal responsibility, do you have it?
This discussion has been closed.