So...what new things are you learning?

Options
Yesterday I read a wonderful thread about people discovering unexpected things after losing weight (like finding collar bones they didn't know they had, problems sleeping on their side because their knees were now more bony) on their weight loss journey. There were tons of good, funny, and heartfelt items stated. Wondering if any of you wanted to share what you've learned or have been learning thru your process! I'll start-I CAN eat enough to feel satisfied and lose weight using my MFP calories. It's awesome! I don't have to suffer greatly either! Lots of times I WANT more to eat, but that's my inner 3 year old crying about not having the whole bag of chips. or cookies. or crackers (I could go on and on here...)!!

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    This wasn't something I learned per se because really I'd always known it, but it WAS something I finally buckled down and accepted: it all does come down to CICO. I guess I also (re)learned that I DON'T need to fill myself to the brim in order to be satisfied. Years of "eat all you want of only Food Category X" had trained me to think I needed to stuff and stuff. I don't.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    That 2 ounces of pasta isn't that much :smiley:
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Consistency is key. I used to diet and then kind of just forgive myself for going over a bit here and there and not really keep track. Of course I got no results because it would turn into just eating whatever and however much I wanted. Just being consistent and trusting the process is key for me and it's working- 34 pounds down since August.
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    I've learned that my personal trainer knows absolutely nothing about nutrition, and that that pisses me off. Lol
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Amen.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Leana088 wrote: »
    I've learned that my personal trainer knows absolutely nothing about nutrition, and that that pisses me off. Lol

A lot of trainers that do know stuff about nutrition have learned from researching it and talking to people. Nothing you can't do on your own! Hire a dietitian if you want nutrition info taught to you :)

I do know a few PT's who also have certificates in nutrition. They rock.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I notice the difference in serving sizes from my old ways. I used to eat 3-4 servings of cereal in one sitting.
  • angier321
    angier321 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've learned too that consistency is the key. Nothing fun or exciting about that one, but it does the job!!
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I learned that I don't have to settle for being frumpy and flabby just because I'm in my forties.
  • angier321
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I learned that I don't have to settle for being frumpy and flabby just because I'm in my forties.

You go girl!!!
  • khaleesikhaleesi
    khaleesikhaleesi Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I learned that I can (and do!) jog a 12 minute mile. I have never, ever been about the cardio life. Or exercise in general. I also learned that I'm dedicated enough to having done some kind of activity every day for seven weeks now (I'm usually flaky).
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Leana088 wrote: »

A lot of trainers that do know stuff about nutrition have learned from researching it and talking to people. Nothing you can't do on your own! Hire a dietitian if you want nutrition info taught to you :)

I do know a few PT's who also have certificates in nutrition. They rock.

Nah, after 2,5 years of losing weight, I can pretty much seperate myth and fact on my own. The problem I have with him is he asks me a lot about my diet, and tends to want to give advice.

He's always having a heart attack when he hears that I've eaten carbs or something. And he chases after all the diet myths. That's what irritates me. Because no matter how I correct him, he doesn't believe me.
  • Rivers2k
    Rivers2k Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I am really blessed, others have it much much worse.
  • angier321
    Options
    Rivers2k wrote: »
    I am really blessed, others have it much much worse.

Couldn't agree with you more!
  • athena2395
    athena2395 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The portions I ate growing up with home cooking in Alabama are NOT single portions, especially for a child. I'm amazed at the calorie content of some foods, and even more amazed by the real portion sized.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think the #1 thing I have learned in nearly 2 years here on MFP is the way calories calculate can be reallllly weird and if I just went along without tracking anything I'd deceive myself a lot, in BOTH ways (thinking stuff was a lot more food/cals and a lot less).

For example, when I cook or bake I sometimes feel like "wow this is going to be a high calorie meal" but then once I input all of the data and divide into servings, it's not...even with a lot of ingredients, some calorie dense. And when I have the occasional road trip indulgence like a donut here, breakfast burrito there, tiny frozen sweetened coffee...it can add up to like 1,100 calories very quickly and doesn't feel nearly as satisfying as those same calories "spent" on something else.

I think my indulgences have become more calculated and more satisfying as a result. I would much rather have x than y & z.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Wow...I learned the total opposite...that 2 oz. of pasta is actually a good few bites and satisfying. :)

• JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    I learned that looking fabulous in that little black dress feels way better than the taste of an extra piece of cake.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I've learned that being fit and healthy is a lifestyle change and not about fad diets or quick fix exercise programs.
  • gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    The conjugate method to increase strength.