For those who have lost 75 or more pounds

Options
LuckyMe2017
LuckyMe2017 Posts: 454 Member
Can you share your average weekly or monthly loss?
I keep getting anxious that my weight loss will stall, which I know it will. I guess I am wondering if it's realistic to think I can lose 8-10 pounds a month long term?
SW-212
CW-182
GW-140ish

Replies

• viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    8-10 a month long term is a big no go. It's gonna slow down. But if you're good and tight with logging, 5 a month is still totally reasonable once it slows down. Once you get close, within your last ten pounds, that's when it's gonna get the slowest.
  • lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    The first 4 months I lost 10-12 a month the next two was about 8 and at month 6/7 Im at about 5-6. Im content with those numbers as I know the closer to goal the less of a deficit and I am dedicated to making this doable for life. Im down 63# and have about 50# to go. Patience is key.
  • tweedledee16
    tweedledee16 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    8-10 a month is a lot to lose long term...Manage your expectations, don't get discouraged. Any loss is a good thing - you're already down 40! Congrats!
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Patience and diligence. I am at 75 pounds lost after 10 months. On average I was at about 8-10 pounds a month, but I hit February and have more or less maintained since. I'm not giving up, though! All the changes I'm making are meant to be permanent and so I am just chugging along, knowing that the weight loss might be slow from now on, which is fine, or maybe it will pick up again, which is also fine. All I know is that I am not going back to the way I was living before. I just had a doc appointment and all my numbers are good, including BP, which had been getting high – now totally normal with my efforts. This is about so much more than the number on the scale. I have a blog documenting my efforts if you're interested: amytenpercent.blogspot.com
  • chatterbox3110
    chatterbox3110 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I'm down 118lbs and losing around 4-5lbs a month...that's absolutely fine for me but depends I suppose how quickly you want to lose the weight.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    Thanks for your input. I guess I am thinking that a further calorie deficit will help me to maintain considerable weight loss. I am eating 1600 calories now, so I have some room to lower calories as I loose the last 40 pounds. I have been walking 8-10 miles a week for exercise. I might get in one hr of additional cardio from a workout video if I feel like it. So I also have room to increase my exercise.

5 pounds a month is okay, but not ideal for me since I am very impatient... (I'm working on it). Given the room I have to cut/burn additional calories, I guess I just expect more than 5 pounds per month, but I guess my body will do what it wants.

Again, I appreciate input from those of you who have endured the process.
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    Patience and diligence. I am at 75 pounds lost after 10 months. On average I was at about 8-10 pounds a month, but I hit February and have more or less maintained since. I'm not giving up, though! All the changes I'm making are meant to be permanent and so I am just chugging along, knowing that the weight loss might be slow from now on, which is fine, or maybe it will pick up again, which is also fine. All I know is that I am not going back to the way I was living before. I just had a doc appointment and all my numbers are good, including BP, which had been getting high – now totally normal with my efforts. This is about so much more than the number on the scale. I have a blog documenting my efforts if you're interested: amytenpercent.blogspot.com

Just visited your blog. I like that you haven't attached deadlines to your goals. That is really the spirit of someone making a lifestyle change. I have reasoned that goal dates are motivators, but really they can be stressors...bad stressors.

I guess I have given up so many times, like many others, so I am trying to hold myself accountable. However, I aspire to be like you... just do good and embrace the successes as they come.
  • Tim_CNY
    Tim_CNY Posts: 25 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    My average for the last 540 days, 113lbs is 1.46 lbs per week. Here are my losses in 90 day intervals. There are times it would stall for a couple of weeks, but it would then drop quickly catching up to what i expected.

ktzte96wvv9n.jpg
  • rebekahzinn1
    rebekahzinn1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    50 pounds in two years. My doctor keeps drilling down that slow weight loss is the best for keeping it off. I feel very confident that the weight will not return, because I have gone long stretches of maintaining the weight loss and not losing, and because my mindset and habits are radically transformed.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I have lost 262 lbs. It has taken me about 3.5 years so far. I believe that is an avg of about 1.3;bs a week. Some weeks its 3 lbs others its .5 :) I figure as long as I am heading in the right direction I should be happy no matter how long it takes :)
  • happygalah
    happygalah Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If I am strict, 10lbs a month is pretty easy but the reality is, it is hard to be that consistent every day. It seems that I will quickly lose 10lbs or so and then cruise for a month or 2 then I realise I'm not losing so I get strict with the calories and lose another 10lbs or so quickly. It is a mental game.
  • corbinskiii
    corbinskiii Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I'm down 124 lb in 14 months. I was losing 8-10 a month for a few months and it slowed to about 6-8, now I'm losing about 4-4.5 lb a month!
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    From 10/2013 to 6/2014 I lost 77.5 pounds, and averaged 2.5 pounds per week. From 6/2014 to 1/2015, I only lost 5 pounds, but continued to lose inches. From 1/2015 to today, I have lost an additional 7 pounds for an average of 1 pound per week. My overall average is 1.15 pounds per week.

The more weight you have to lose the easier it is, so in the beginning it is no surprise that you finding it relatively easy to do. However, the closer you get to your goal, the slower it is going to be. Just don't let that discourage you! Stick to your goals and you will get there!
  • LuckyMe2017
    Options
    Awesome feedback! Thanks for sharing your experiences. I am motivated to keep losing.
  • moto450
    moto450 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 75. It has taken me since March of last year, but the previous poster that said the leaner you get the more difficult it is is absolutely correct. I haven't lost any weight in about 3 months, but i have lost BF. I'm feeling very good about where I'm at. Finally down to about 9-10% body fat and I'm fitting into a size 32 Jean (Used to be in a size 40). I never thought I would reach that!

Consistency and weighing everything has been key for me.
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I started at 240 and yo-yo'd between 220 and 185 for years before finally breaking through this year. I weigh nearly every day and just hit 75 lbs.

In short, I have been lucky to average 3-4 lbs/mo at this stage.

My weight graph: https://trendweight.com/u/e2ba4e7607bc44/
  • LifeNewandImproved
    LifeNewandImproved Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    my calorie budget has been 1200 with working out 6 days per week (but mostly eating it back). So yeah I would definitely expect your rate of loss to slow down, even if you did eat less and work out more.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!