Antidepressants - Experiences.. good or bad?

Options

Replies

• KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I take a SSRI called Celexa. I would say the effects are beneficial. Without the drug, I feel like I'm naked walking in the middle of a concrete hot road in the middle of heavy traffic - my mind was racing, I felt extremely agitated and moody, paranoid, had bouts of insomnia, worried restless, and the age old abstract psychological pain with thoughts of suicide.

Celexa evened me out, but the cons are that you feel emotionally numb and impenetrable by outside stimuli (a feeling of being trapped inside your head), creativity and thoughtfulness (i.e. reveries) are greatly hampered which is bad for artists and philosophers, sex drive can be low, and when having sex there is far less sensation. Yet the pros outweigh the cons.

Withdrawal from the drug is unpleasant and consists of extreme agitation (e.g. flipping out over not being able to open a pack of cheese or ziplock the ****er back up), headache, feeling hot and feverish, and episodes of strange dizziness that feels like being kicked in the head by a powerful horse.

I'm on the same, and it's done amazing things for me. It has made weight loss a little tougher for me, but that's the breaks.
    Last summer I was doing so well my Dr. and I decided to try taking me off of it, as I tapered I was miserable. One morning I woke up feeling like I was living in a black hole, completely miserable.
    Also, after I was on the medication, combined with therapy, I was able to face up to other issues that made me feel even better. I had been drinking too much because of the depression, so I got sober. I learned tools for how to deal with the family and work stress that used to make me panic. The medication can even out the chemical imbalance, but you still have to do the work to get better.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I was on Lexapro for a while after my last baby was born. Sex drive went kaput, which was ok since my husband got deployed to Iraq for 15 months when that baby was 5 months old (the cause of said depression). I weaned off that and wasn't on anything for about a year, but then started freaking out about the dumbest things. The dr gave me Celexa this time. Honestly, I'm not sure how much they're helping. I have a lot of things going on in my life that, if they weren't, I'd probably be fine. Weaning off these meds is no joke and as much as I want to get off medication I don't want to go thru those side effects.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    SSRIs for moderate and mild depression have been shown to be relatively useless. I really wouldn't recommend going on an AD if you don't believe that your depression is biological. I think that it would mostly be the placebo effect but meh I'm not a psychiatrist.

If you really want to try one that might even help with weight loss, I'd ask for wellbutrin. If your main depression symptom is lack of energy, it would help. Wellbutrin is one of the only antidepressants with weight loss as a side effect.

Not a doctor. Just my own experience.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    In regards to the comments about weight loss....

My best friend and I decided we'd both rather be fat and happy than skinny and dead.
    My weight gain didn't come with the medication, it came from stress and my own carelessness.
    It was almost impossible to lose weight (once gained) while on my last medication.
    Again -- better fat and happy and alive! That was the motto that got me through for a while.
  • hockey7fan
    hockey7fan Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I took Celexa for 7 years. I recently stopped taking it because I just didn't feel I needed it any longer. I did find that I had a whole lot more energy after stopping it and it was hard to get off it.

That said, it worked well for me while I needed it and I would take it again if need be.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Instead of going on an angry rant here, which is very tempting.. (I have lots of experience with this issue. LOTS.)

You can cure depression with diet. I did and I am far from an isolated case. Depression is just one of many symptoms of malnutrition aka metabolic syndrome. (Yes, people who are eating too much ARE often malnourished...)

It's your choice what to do.

Just one resource to get you started if you are so inclined: http://gaps.me/ (Gut and Psychology Syndrome written by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride).
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I know people who have been on anti-depressants for 30 years, at a certain point you have to treat the cause of the problem, rather than the symptoms

Really? My mum was schizophrenic since she was 17 all the way till her death at 53 ...what would you have told her to treat? He depression was part of that. Comes a time when people who know nothing OF being depressed should just shhhh.:mad:

Yup...I totally agree.

Do whats best for you. I tried to avoid medication for so long because thats what "society" told me to do. I finally couldn't take it anymore and Im glad I decided to take a pill. It helped me realize what I need to fix about ME and get out of the horrible funk I was in. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise...especially here! Listen to your heart with the guidance of a professional.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Instead of going on an angry rant here, which is very tempting.. (I have lots of experience with this issue. LOTS.)

You can cure depression with diet. I did and I am far from an isolated case. Depression is just one of many symptoms of malnutrition aka metabolic syndrome. (Yes, people who are eating too much ARE often malnourished...)

Just one resource to get you started if you are so inclined: http://gaps.me/ (Gut and Psychology Syndrome written by Dr. Natasha Campbell-McBride).

my response to this is also tempting but Im going to choose to stay quiet...
  • KatLifter
    Options

While I'm sure some forms of depression can be cured with diet and lifestyle changes - just as some forms of diabetes and hypertension can - but this doesn't apply to everyone. There are some legitimate chemical imbalances that need to be treated with medication.
    There is nothing wrong with asking for help and taking medication if you need it.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I've had a good experience since I've been on Pristiq since the end of July. I had very low self-esteem, very poor outlook on life, didn't care about important things, no energy, couldn't face confrontations, mood swings, some anxiety, I put all the "good" energy I had into work so I could function there. My bad days greatly out numbered my good days. The short term side effects I had were a bit of nausea and weight loss which lasted a couple weeks. The only long term side effect has been very weird, vivid, off the wall dreams. 3 months after starting the medication I was mentally ready to start losing weight. I'm much happier, more confident, more even, able to face problems better. Overall, it's been a good experience but everyone is different.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options

While I'm sure some forms of depression can be cured with diet and lifestyle changes - just as some forms of diabetes and hypertension can - but this doesn't apply to everyone. There are some legitimate chemical imbalances that need to be treated with medication.
    There is nothing wrong with asking for help and taking medication if you need it.

Maybe a reasonable comparison here would be Type I Diabetes versus Type II Diabetes.
    While diet impacts both, one can be controlled while the other tends to run rampant and do as it pleases.
  • lacquer_head
    lacquer_head Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I take a SSRI called Celexa. I would say the effects are beneficial. Without the drug, I feel like I'm naked walking in the middle of a concrete hot road in the middle of heavy traffic - my mind was racing, I felt extremely agitated and moody, paranoid, had bouts of insomnia, worried restless, and the age old abstract psychological pain with thoughts of suicide.

Celexa evened me out, but the cons are that you feel emotionally numb and impenetrable by outside stimuli (a feeling of being trapped inside your head), creativity and thoughtfulness (i.e. reveries) are greatly hampered which is bad for artists and philosophers, sex drive can be low, and when having sex there is far less sensation. Yet the pros outweigh the cons.

Withdrawal from the drug is unpleasant and consists of extreme agitation (e.g. flipping out over not being able to open a pack of cheese or ziplock the ****er back up), headache, feeling hot and feverish, and episodes of strange dizziness that feels like being kicked in the head by a powerful horse.

A few years ago I injured my back and was forced to lay on a couch for a few months. During this time I got into a weird funk. I couldn't explain it and, when I tried to, I was diagnosed w/ depression. Even after my back got better I still felt weird. Everything was just darker. I was prescribed Celexa. It worked great! It was like a light had been flipped ON in my head. I was lucky and didn't really experience any major side effects. Eventualy I was able to wean myself off of it and I have been ok, ever since. I was always against pharmaceutical antidepressants but I found that they helped trememdously, once I gave them a chance. You never know. They obviously aren't for everybody but they may be just the thing that your specific situation needs.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    I am not a doctor so that for what it is worth. I dont believe in antidepressants at all. I know so many people that are over drugged. If you have personal and work related issues that are causing your stress it is OKAY and GOOD to feel those emotions. Our society is now taking drugs for grieving...these are normal responses to what is going on around you. If there was no stress and you were still depressed/emotional/ whatever for seemingly no reason I would say maybe look into it but even then there are so many natural things you can do to deal with stress. I personally would get a weekly massage or something.
  • 122ish
    122ish Posts: 339 Member
    Options

That was like reading my own personal post, but I never wanted to commit suicide I just wanted to die and in the past have experience bouts of reckless behavior hoping for the worst.

Originally I was on pro zac and it seemed to help but made me lose my sexual drive which was a big problem in my relationship. Since then I have tried many meds one that made me very aggressive too, I was on the verge of beating up a guy for taking my parking spot once, although I did like the confidence that med gave me it wasn't worth it. I have tried things that made me shaky or gave me restless leg syndrome or made me grind my teeth amongst other side effects. For me each one had side effects.
    I noticed recently that I managed to stay out of a deep depression by eating healthy and exercising, I still feel sad but it's so much more tolerable. Taking magnesium has helped me stop, well slow down the racing thoughts I had. I have slowed down on my cardio and notice a differnce but am finding it hard to get back to it even though I know it helps. I do wish I could find the right combo for myself, but lack insurance right now so I have to find ways to help myself.
  • KatLifter
    Options
    . I dont believe in antidepressants at all. I know so many people that are over drugged...There are so many natural things you can do to deal with stress. I personally would get a weekly massage or something.

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    . I dont believe in antidepressants at all. I know so many people that are over drugged...There are so many natural things you can do to deal with stress. I personally would get a weekly massage or something.

I went through a very dark depression 2 years ago but thank you for assuming I didn't know what I was talking about :flowerforyou:
  • KatLifter
    Options

I went through a very dark depression 2 years ago but thank you for assuming I didn't know what I was talking about :flowerforyou:

Getting a massage for a chemical imbalance isn't logical. I'm sorry for what you went through, but your experience (especially if it was situational rather than biological) isn't everyone's.
  • SlimJanette
    SlimJanette Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    From my experience I don't like them. I was given them after I had both my kids. I found that I had no emotion at all. If I was sad I didn't cry and if I was happy I didn't laugh. I hated the feeling. I have panic and anxiety attacks almost everyday and I just deal with them. I talk my way through it. When my ex and I split my depression was so bad and I had a nervous breakdown later on. The Dr.'s were giving me every drug possible. I took Imipremine** when I felt it coming on but didn't like the "stoned" feeling after.

if you think it is something that you can over come then try to do it without meds. If you get to a point where you feel like you are useless or life is not worth it then you need to consider taking something.

I spoke to a naturopath yesterday and she told me to up my magnisum, fish oil, and Vit C as this helps with depression. Maybe give that a try.

I hope it all works out for you with which ever you choose.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Options
    I am not a doctor so that for what it is worth. I dont believe in antidepressants at all. I know so many people that are over drugged. If you have personal and work related issues that are causing your stress it is OKAY and GOOD to feel those emotions. Our society is now taking drugs for grieving...these are normal responses to what is going on around you. If there was no stress and you were still depressed/emotional/ whatever for seemingly no reason I would say maybe look into it but even then there are so many natural things you can do to deal with stress. I personally would get a weekly massage or something.

I appreciate your kindly worded post, but stress doesn't make you think about driving your car into an overpass support post, going into a swimming pool and never surfacing, or stand on the edge of a drop off and hope your balance fails you so it was an accidental death.

Depression is real and true. It makes you think that someone held a door opened and smiled at you because they pity you. It makes you think that your friends calling to check on you makes you a burden on them. It makes you think that yelling at your child for something they've done wrong makes you the worst mother on the planet and your child is doomed. It causes your entire world to become hell. You can't bother to spend money on yourself because you aren't worth it. You can't call a friend to talk because you shouldn't weigh them down with your worries. Hell, I didn't make it to a therapist until my 3rd try, because during my depression, my mind told me it wasn't worth it, that it wouldn't help, that I would never find hope or joy again.

Therapists do tell you what else helps -- exercise, something like a massage for enjoyment, spending time with friends. But those things come hand in hand with the therapy to get you well again.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I took them for two periods in my life. The first, in high school through the first few years of college, they helped me a lot. They really did.

The second period in my life, I had grown a lot the few years prior, but was still having issues. I went back on the pills, took them for two weeks and didn't finish the month's bottle. I had been resistant to taking them again, because I wanted to do it on my own, but relented and went to the doctor (and was stuck with a $109 bill! jesus health care sucks) and she only gave me that month's supply, and wanted me to come back (yea right not after I saw that bill).

Long story short, they killed my sex drive, didn't make me feel good, and I decided to deal with it on my own. I exercise a lot, eat better (my moods are less stable when I have sugar/carb-y foods) and go outside whenever I'm feeling gloomy. I meditate, and like to think I have trained my brain to be less neurotic and depressed. You can retrain your neural pathways to not knee jerk into feeling sad or anxious, it does take time and effort.

It depends on each individual. I would give them a go, see if they help, then reevaluate. But don't underestimate the power of a good workout, and sitting outside in the sun reading a good book.