Leg Pain

Options
So I have been running and doing squats everyday for two weeks. And now my legs are cramping and I have shin splints all of the time. I purchased running shoes from a running store so it should not be that. I do yoga in the afternoon to stretch out my muscles in my legs before going to bed. So the question I have is should I just power through these pains (not really terrible just annoying) or should I allow my body to rest. I am a researcher/teacher at a university so I am constantly running up and down stairs to visit labs and classrooms. Anyone out there do a lot of running or have a similar issue?

Cheers

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You cannot continuously train one body part every day without injuring yourself. You adapt by imposing a stimulus and then recovering from that stimulus. Without recovery, there is no adaptation. You should workout a more balanced approach to training (i.e. one that incorporates a day off here and there and some upper body training as well)
  • khloesdad0124
    khloesdad0124 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Also you could have a potassium deficiency causing the cramping.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Too much running. I only run 3-4x/week and ALWAYS have a complete rest day. Your muscles need time to repair and recover and you're not giving that to them. If you continue this way you will end up with an injury.
  • HappyLifting89
    Options
    I second not training legs every day. You need time to rest the muscles. ALSO eat some bananas, they help in recovery, oddly so does chocolate milk, but real milk not that stuff you mix in. ALSO the shoes you bought may be the wrong shoes for you. I find that nike's are the only thing I can train in, I have tried the reebok training shoes as well as asics and they just don't do it for me.
    Also, shin splints as the above said (MeganMoroz89) can take very long to heal. Try adding calf raises into your leg routine. When you are at work pull your toes to your shin, this will work on the front muscles that don't necessarily see a lot of attention unless you are running etc. and last but not least, STRETCH ::Kneel on a carpeted floor, legs and feet together and toes pointed directly back. Then slowly sit back onto your calves and heels, pushing your ankles into the floor until you feel tension in the muscles of your shin. Hold for 10 to 12 seconds, relax and repeat.
    also check this out: http://www.self.com/flash/fitness-blog/2011/05/4-shin-splint-solutions-and-st/
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    So I have been running and doing squats everyday for two weeks.

Problem found. Rest.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Rest. If it hurts, give them time. I'm battling a severe case right now because I ignored the pain until I was limping when walking and couldn't bend my leg to get down the stairs. Now I have 2 months til a 25K and I can't run. If you have shin splints try compression socks, try a roller stick, stretch them, ice them, but seriously, cut back on the frequency you're running.
    You said you picked up new shoes, were you fitted for shoes or did you just pick them out yourself? This can contribute.
    Also look at where you're running or what you're running on. Treadmill? Outside pavement or gravel? There's a lot that can contribute..
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I mean unless you only running a mile and doing 10 squats only....you need to rest your legs! Even then if you aren't used to any exercise it could cause the pain.

I would back off. Rest a few days and the only run/squat 3-4x a week depending on intensity. If the problem persists go see a doctor.

All the other things mentioned could help, but I'd put $5 on you overtaxing your legs.

Good luck!