Protein Shakes

Options
katiejanecollins
katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
edited March 2015 in Food and Nutrition
I currently add 1tsp of plain why protein to my smoothies 3 days a week - but I've seen several people's diaries and they all consume more protein (flavoured shakes too mmm), which ones are good to begin with?

Replies

• illyich
    illyich Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? Protein helps to support muscle. If you are working on adding some muscle tone, then go for 0.6g - 0.8g of protein per pound you weigh. Protein can be found in plenty of food, especially meat. Protein powder is only for when you cannot hit your protein goals through food alone.
  • fitzman84
    fitzman84 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    illyich wrote: »
    What are your goals? Protein helps to support muscle. If you are working on adding some muscle tone, then go for 0.6g - 0.8g of protein per pound you weigh. Protein can be found in plenty of food, especially meat. Protein powder is only for when you cannot hit your protein goals through food alone.

Um... its not ONLY for when you cannot hit your goal. If you like the taste, then eat it.

I use cellucor's chocolate and vanilla. Decently priced compared to some of the other brands. Optimum nutrition is good as well.
  • SciranBG
    SciranBG Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is only for when you cannot hit your protein goals through food alone.

Sounds like someone gets the cheap stuff, or vanilla.
    I think protein powder is tastey.
  • Mamapaul76
    Mamapaul76 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk are good and don't taste like chemicals to me. I use them twice a week as bkft for my real early mornings.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    SciranBG wrote: »
    Protein powder is only for when you cannot hit your protein goals through food alone.

Has nothing to do with it being tasty or not. It is generally accepted that you should try to get your protein goals through food first. If that isn't something that can be done than a protein "supplement" should be added.

• Hollywood_Porky
    Hollywood_Porky Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    SciranBG wrote: »

Has nothing to do with it being tasty or not. It is generally accepted that you should try to get your protein goals through food first. If that isn't something that can be done than a protein "supplement" should be added.

That's correct - it's a supplement - not the main course. Use protein supplements when you need to hit your goals - use them after training hard with weights - as an example.

One thing I noticed is if you just take four hard boiled eggs - and put them in a smoothie, that equals one serving of a high-quality protein powder. The only difference is fat content is higher - which means the eggs are higher in calories than just the same amount of protein in supplement form. It's not a lot - about 150 calories, but it's something.

Add unsweetened cacao or a mixture of 70% chocolate and unsweetened cacao and you have the basis to a dynamite protein shake.

Or that's the theory anyway.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I use Syntha-6. Chocolate milkshake is great if you just want the shake. With my weightlifting regimine I have a goal of 140g of protein a day which is hard to get to on 1400 cals. I add their vanilla ice cream powder to plain greek yogurt and add some berries and a little granola for breakfast. Tastes like a dessert for breakfast and has 44g of protein!
  • jlcbooth
    jlcbooth Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I just started drinking protein shakes to help me stay fuller longer. I am doing them for breakfast and I have been buying pure protein rich chocolate or bodytech pro tech in chocolate and vanilla. Tastes very good. I esp love the pure protein one like this:

6oz coffee (i use flavored, creme brulee hazelnut)
    4oz skim milk
    1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 scoop protein powder

It tastes like a coffee chocolate shake. Love it.
  • PinkandBlack87
    Options
    One good way to get protein without the powder is fish. In a 1/4 cup, mackerel has 13grams of protein
  • katiejanecollins
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'll have a browse at what my options are
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    As you're in the UK, I'd recommend The Protein Works (online) as they have a great range of flavours of whey at good prices. Bulk Powders and My Protein are also reliable companies. Avoid Holland & Barrett as their whey is over-priced and nasty.

However, as others have stated, getting protein from food should be the first aim. The following are good sources:

lean chicken / turkey
    seafood
    canned tuna
    Greek yoghurt
    Quark / fromage frais
    Cottage cheese
    Cheese sticks or light Babybel
    Milk
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I used to use optimum nutrition, chocolate flavored. It was good. I just mixed it with milk and it was like chocolate milk.
    Now I would like to find one that is dairy free because dairy makes my face break out.
  • jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    Options
    PES Select Protein Snicker Doodle and Milk Chocolate. Best tasting protein in the market. Only 1g of carbs. 24g of protein per serving. Has lucine peptides.
    gz1vn7bbxydf.jpg
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    jtabiolo wrote: »
    PES Select Protein Snicker Doodle and Milk Chocolate. Best tasting protein in the market. Only 1g of carbs. 24g of protein per serving. Has lucine peptides.
    gz1vn7bbxydf.jpg

Snickerdoodle yumm:)
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!

...What on earth is a Snickerdoodle!!?!?
  • jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    Options

You've never tried a snicker doodle cookie before?
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    Noooo... what is it?
  • hesn92
    Options

What is snicker doodle?? Seriously??? Lol it is a type of cookie. try one
  • hesn92
    Options
    I think it has cinnamon and sugar? I haven't had one in a long time