healthiest way to cook chicken breast

Options
What is the healthiest way to cook skinless boneless chicken breast. I've been cooking in a pan on top of stove with extra virgin olive oil but nor sure this is the best method since its grilling in oil even though evoo is suppose to be healthy

Replies

• KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Fat is good for you. I fry my chicken in a big pot of oil and then I toss it in butter, garlic and parmesan cheese yummm!! Not harming me at all.

Roast it, pan fry it, bake it, broil it, grill it.....
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    The healthiest way for me has been a simple seasoning and tossing it into the oven (no oil!). Lately my preferred method has been to throw a couple of them in the crockpot with healthy ingredients so I can enjoy shredded chicken with different meals throughout the week.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If by heathy you mean lowest calories then anything that doesn't involve oil or extra things, so baking in the oven for example. I always cut into cubes any fry with some Olive oil. It doesn't add many calories (1 tbsp divided into however many servings I'm making) and there is nothing wrong with some oil.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    The tastiest ones I can make are grilled.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    We use a "George Foreman"-grill. No fat, no oil, great taste
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    It depends on the rest of your diet and what you need.

If you need more fats for the day, then I'd say what you're doing could qualify as "healthiest for you at the time."

If you're low on Calories, and have enough fats for the day, then either grilling or baking could qualify as "healthiest for you at the time."
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    "Healthy" is a relative term. A very low fat diet is unhealthy. But a diet too high in calories is also unhealthy. So what is your objective?
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I boil it, shred it, and toss it together with a mixture of sauteed diced tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, and garlic... season it, and eat it up with some corn tortillas. Bam, chicken tacos. The only oil I use is about 1 tbsp to sautee the veggies.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I would say the healthiest way to cook it would be to make sure it's not pink.

I cook chicken just about every way that's been mentioned so far in this thread, because I don't want to eat the exact same thing over and over again. If you need to keep it low-cal, bake it. (I personally love to cover it with salsa for both flavor and moisture when I bake chicken.) If you've got a little more wiggle room in your day, go for fried. Cook it however you're willing and able to eat it at that particular time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If you are low on fat for the day, cooking it in oil would be perfectly healthy...low fat diets are about as unhealthy as you can get. This is where balancing out your macro and nutritional needs converge with caloric needs.

Typically I marinate my chicken in some olive oil and vinegar, spices, and herbs and grill it.
  • drajbirbal
    drajbirbal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Google the recipe for "heroin chicken" which is very low in carbs and very tasty. I also add it to other things - like salad, wraps, pita, pizza, etc. - instead of shredded or rotisserie chicken.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    "Healthy" is a relative term. A very low fat diet is unhealthy. But a diet too high in calories is also unhealthy. So what is your objective?

She has another post stating that she is following a higher protein diet.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I recently started "oven poaching". It's really easy and the chicken comes out very moist.
    Preheat oven to 400 degrees
    Spray baking pan and one side of parchement paper with cooking spray
    Season chicken with salt and pepper
    Lay chicken in pan, cover with parchement paper (sprayed side down and tucked into dish)
    cook 30-40 minutes or until 165 degrees.

Pretty easy!
  • msstephaniecarter
    Options
    I boil multiple at a time, cut into cubes, and store in the refrigerator to use whenever needed during the week. Boiling just requires water! No oil needed this way.
  • RBillard
    RBillard Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i try to avoid olive oil in cooking, as I have heard it can be carcinogenic at high heat. i usually use avocado oil, which has a higher smoke point. since meeting my fat requirements isn't usually much of a problem i tend to just grill my chicken breasts with some black pepper, cayenne, and a splash of Worchestershire sauce (i perfer soy sauce but am trying to watch my sodium intake).
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    i spray wiht a little olive oil and bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Comes out perfectly every time. Grilling is probably fine, as well, but I haven't gotten it super moist like baking does.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I like this method:

http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-cook-the-best-chicken-breasts-in-the-oven-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-211453

I still have trouble getting the timing just right for moist chicken breasts, but for me, baking 4 chicken breasts at once works out to pre-cooked chicken for two meals for my roommate and myself, and I usually manage slightly better (moister) chicken than if I had pan cooked it or grilled it on the Foreman grill.

I bake them, cube them when cool, and stir 12 oz into a jar of simmer sauce (marinara, tikka masala, dopiaza, salsa verde, whatever). Typically the jars of sauce call for a pound of chicken, but the difference in weight accounts for some of that. Also, I like a lot of sauce.

I'm learning to follow my roommate's example and serve the chicken over shredded vegetables instead of over rice or couscous.
  • juditanne
    juditanne Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    i always use my foreman grill! :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    grilling is good, Baking at 400 for 20 minutes usually comes out great. Sometimes, I'll take a whole chicken (yes, I eat the dark meat too) and I'll stick it in my crock pot on low all day. You have to raise it off the bottom which I accomplish by putting 4 tin foil balls underneath of it. Then you have chicken for a whole week.