Tips and tricks for overcoming cravings?

Options
2»

Replies

• Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    yeah, if I have a craving for something, I have a little bit of it then move on. Otherwise, I can eat all the whatevers I want instead of it, but its not IT know what I mean? And Ill just end up eating it anyway...except more..waaay more.

So now, not only did I end up eating what I wanted to begin with, but also all that extra stuff trying to distract myself from what I want. Thats how it goes down when I deprive myself!! lol
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    yeah, if I have a craving for something, I have a little bit of it then move on. Otherwise, I can eat all the whatevers I want instead of it, but its not IT know what I mean? And Ill just end up eating it anyway...except more..waaay more.

So now, not only did I end up eating what I wanted to begin with, but also all that extra stuff trying to distract myself from what I want. Thats how it goes down when I deprive myself!! lol

Exactly what I feel! LOL. If I eat anything other than chocolate, there will always be that little voice at the back of my head whispering "chocolate... chocolate... we want chocolate..."

Then I'll just end up eating chocolate anyway + 200 calories of cookies / cheese / whatever else I ate. Might as well just get that chocolate fix straight up.
  • littlebee55
    littlebee55 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My problem is I am still in the infant stage of "learning moderation". I'm like a little kid. "Don't eat that." And then I obsess on it until I end up going hog wild and eating the whole whatever. That's what I love about MFP. While I am learning moderation, as long as I allow for it, I can have it.

You guys have excellent tips and tricks.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I like to say I'm so rebellious, I will even revolt against myself if I tell myself I need to do / cant do something. It's kind of a joke, but not really!!! With my personality, I have to go with moderation. Once I say "I can't have" even if I don't want it, even if I don't like it...its all I'll ever want in the world. No one tells me what to do! Not even me!!! Lol *sigh*
  • littlebee55
    Options
    Dragn77 wrote: »
    I like to say I'm so rebellious, I will even revolt against myself if I tell myself I need to do / cant do something. It's kind of a joke, but not really!!! With my personality, I have to go with moderation. Once I say "I can't have" even if I don't want it, even if I don't like it...its all I'll ever want in the world. No one tells me what to do! Not even me!!! Lol *sigh*

Exactly! That's exactly how I am! It seems like it is some weird deep-seated, ingrained personality quirk with me. Lol.
  • litenupalready
    litenupalready Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've been putting essential oils in my water. My cravings go way way down when I do that! They also help lessen my appetite!
  • littlebee55
    Options
    I've been putting essential oils in my water. My cravings go way way down when I do that! They also help lessen my appetite!

I haven't heard of that before. What are some of the flavors? I'm also in the process of giving up cokes.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I save 200 or more calories in the evenings, whether I'm at a deficit or at maintenance. Helps me make room for a sweet snack whenever I really can't push it off. And if I do avoid it, I either have a non-sweet midnight snack (I get a little hungry when I'm having trouble sleeping, happens often) or just save those calories up for a bigger splurge later on.
  • alicaramik2
    alicaramik2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Dole dippers! I love the dark chocolate banana ones. Sweet and decadent, but only 100 calories. 4gs of fiber, only 7gs of sugar, 25% of your vit. C and even some iron.