I don't understand calories

Options
magaves
magaves Posts: 3 Member
I get so much different information on diets I don't know what's right!

If all I have to do is count calories than what's the difference between having 1500 calories of fruit or 1500 calories of chocolate!

I have 7 pounds to lose, have tried the slim fast milkshakes, Special K diet and many others - ill go down a few pound the first week then nothing after that!

Please help

Replies

• Nano1360
    Nano1360 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Parctically, it does not make difference in terms of calories! However, fruits have more fiber so will make you full for a longer time! Said that both options are full of sugar and carb but are not a good source for fat or protien!
    More importantly, since you only have 7 lbs to lose it will go away very slowly and very hard! Eating based on diet alone probably will not do it for that amount! Try to do some cardio! Walking?
    And probably if you set your calorie intake about loosing less than 0.5 lbs per week you will get the most results!
    Best luck!
  • mcibty
    mcibty Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    Variety is the spice of life. Try to mix things up and experiment with food to get an idea of what meals you like and when you can have them.

I suppose, technically, you could eat 1,500kcal of chocolate and you'd 'lose' - but think about the wider consideration of what's in chocolate, and it's not very healthy (although good point in the other post about sugar and carbs in fruit, too). Your body wouldn't thank you for it.

The best advice has already been given. Hit your goal. Eat different things. Move more. Lift more things.

Good luck!
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options

If all I have to do is count calories than what's the difference between having 1500 calories of fruit or 1500 calories of chocolate!

I have 7 pounds to lose, have tried the slim fast milkshakes, Special K diet and many others - ill go down a few pound the first week then nothing after that!

Please help

The difference is in how you feel if you eat 1500 cals of chocolate per day as supposed to 1500 cals of healthy, balanced foods. (And I am a chocaholic, I have learnt this lesson the hard way!)

First of all, spending your cals on calorie-dense foods means you get to eat less in quantities - making you feel hungry (which in my case also means extremely irritable). Secondly, lots of sugar, in the case of chocolate, make your insulin levels spike and drop like a rollercoaster which also makes you feel crap. And at the end of the calories, there will be a lot of hunger left for the rest of the day, making it really difficult to stick to a calorie goal and not give into craving more food.

Using your 1500 cals a day for healthy foods such as fruit and veg means you get to eat a lot more, meaning your hunger pangs will be a lot less and therefore it is a lot easier to stick to 'only' 1500 cals.

As a test, you can weigh up 500 cals of chocolate as supposed to 500 cals of fruit and veg - compare the quantities.
    Not saying you shouldn't eat any chocolate ever (hell, I'm eating chocolate almost every day!) - but find the balance between what's good for your soul and what's good for your body to be able to stick with the goal!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Losing weight isn't the only consideration. Making sure you stay healthy and get all the necessary nutrients also matters (hence why eating 1500 calories of chocolate, while potentially effective, is a terrible idea). Your best bet is to try to hit your macros (likely 40% calories from protein, 40% calories from carbs and 20% calories from fat) and stay at or slightly under your allotted calories. It's that easy (in concept anyhow; sticking to the healthy options is another matter entirely). Good luck.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options

Please help

There is no difference between 1500 calories of fruit or chocolate, in terms of weight loss. In terms of health, satisfaction and general well-being though, it’s a different story.

The reason you haven’t lost the weight on Slim Fast or Special K is because they are all fad, very low calorie diets, and with only 7lb to lose you simply don’t need that large a deficit.

Simplify it: Set your MFP to sedentary, aim for 0.5lb a week loss, and log and eat back your exercise calories. Or, if your exercise is consistant, set your MFP to your activity level, aim for 0.5lb a week weight loss, and DO NOT eat back your exercise cals. Eat normal food, not shakes or sugary cereal.

Patience is the key in this, and while 0.5lb a week doesn’t seem like much, it’s the most healthy and sustainable way.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The difference between 1500cals of fruit vs 1500 cals of chocolate is the MACRO NUTRIENT RATIOS and micro nutrient ratios . Carbs , proteins and fats and vitamins and minerals that's all
  • jamielynas
    jamielynas Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    1500 cals of chocolate is also about 300 grams, you could eat a s%it load more volume with the fruit :P