Fitness Center Reluctance

Options
Don't be intimidated to go to the gym just cauz of all the super buff dudes or slim n sexy ladies. Remember, you're their for a purpose, just put on your handphones, close your eyes, and workout!!!

Replies

• Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    What gym do you workout at? I have none of that at my local gym :)

But really, I agree! No matter who or what is there, just tune them out and get your workout on! Maybe one day you will be one of the "super buff dudes or slim n sexy ladies" if that is your goal.
  • AngieGetsHealthyin2012
    Options
    Good encouragement, thanks! I know I was very very intimidated when I first went to my gym. Part of that was not having a set plan in place (wandering around not sure what to do), but I pushed through and it's much easier now. Everyone is there to better themselves. I'm proud of all of us for stepping in the door!
  • cskone38
    cskone38 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Adc7225 wrote: »
    What gym do you workout at? I have none of that at my local gym :)

But really, I agree! No matter who or what is there, just tune them out and get your workout on! Maybe one day you will be one of the "super buff dudes or slim n sexy ladies" if that is your goal.

A coworker wanted to go to the gym with me, but said she didnt wanna be considered in her own words.......
    "the fat girl in the gym"
    So I tried to encoourage her
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Tell her that nobody pays attention to you unless they are waiting for equipment...and even then it's about when they can start.
    We can be hard on ourselves and feel like others see the same things we do, but they don't. Everyone focuses on themselves ;)
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ar9179 wrote: »
    We can be hard on ourselves and feel like others see the same things we do, but they don't. Everyone focuses on themselves ;)
    I people watch at the gym. Rest between sets, y'know? When I see the fat girl at my gym, I think "Yay! I remember being there. Hope she sticks with it. Would go say hi but only got 20 seconds left and.. ooh! UFC on that TV!" I wonder what she imagines others are thinking. :)

• dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    cskone38 wrote: »
    Don't be intimidated to go to the gym just cauz of all the super buff dudes or slim n sexy ladies. Remember, you're their for a purpose, just put on your handphones, close your eyes, and workout!!!

Um, if we close our eyes, how can we workout? Jus' askin.

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »
    cskone38 wrote: »

Um, if we close our eyes, how can we workout? Jus' askin.

you need your eyes open to move?

regardless... don't worry about what other people may or (probably aren't) thinking. I see all sizes, all levels of fitness in my gym. and everyone is there, working on themselves.