Will sodas end up as the "smoking" of the 21st century?

Options
_John_
_John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
edited March 2015 in Chit-Chat
Lumping diet and regular together here. And obviously from the standpoint that early they were viewed as socially positive, but in the later parts of the century the full array of negative health consequences became apparent

Replies

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    But nobody is bothered by secondhand soda.
  • jaymvita
    jaymvita Posts: 5,787 Member
    Options
    Not sodas specifically but sugar will be the new tobacco.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    haha... no... I doubt people will be told to drink their sodas 30 feet away from buildings, like they do with smoking. :laugh:
  • Cindy4FunFit
    Cindy4FunFit Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that soda is a liquid might make it difficult to roll. You should never inhale your liquids, either.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    i don't think smoking is there yet
  • mrsBrown1989
    Options
    i could see added sugar being the new target, but not specifically sodas.
  • glwage
    glwage Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You would have to drink a boatload of soda to kill yourself. The statistics are in on the cigs. No comparison....IMHO
  • glwage
    glwage Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I think the fact that soda is a liquid might make it difficult to roll. You should never inhale your liquids, either.
    Roll? Heck, try to get one lit!
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    ilfaith wrote: »
    But nobody is bothered by secondhand soda.

Unless it gets spilled on you.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    No- there is a direct link between cigs and cancer, they can make no such claim about soda- or added sugar- link to obesity- maybe but soooooo many other things contribute to this
  • JenD1066
    JenD1066 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    The soda companies are obviously afraid of that- thus the ludicrous "Mixify" campaign.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I see where you are going with this...

I can only speak for the US - but.....

There are studies showing that soda causes obesity:
    http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/sugary-drinks-fact-sheet/

And others that say obesity is second leading cause of preventable death:
    http://www.wvdhhr.org/bph/oehp/obesity/mortality.htm

Ergo, according to the studies that the policy makers read: Soda kills.

(note, this is not MY opinion.. just conjecture on what the uneducated will assume.)

Schools have been banned in many schools.
    There are even attempts to take this movement nationwide:
    http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/flotus-cut-sodas-schools

Soda tax is a reality in some localities attempt to curb consumption (this is the same tactic the government has been using for years to simultaneously raise tax revenue and decrease smoking).
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2014/11/05/berkeley-passes-soda-tax/18521923/
    (excerpt from article...)
    "Berkeley has a proud history of setting nationwide trends, such as non-smoking sections in restaurants and bars, curb cuts for wheelchairs, curbside recycling and public school food policies,"

So now we even have PR that links these policies to smoking restrictions.

Yeah... it does look like it's heading that way to me...

I imagine once it is banned from schools nationwide, next will be workplace bans and making unlimited self-serve in restaurants illegal, along with an incrementally increasing tax.
  • down_ell_beez
    down_ell_beez Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is more so the sugar in soda that is bad for you.

If you haven't already, you should watch "Fed Up". It is a great documentary on sugars and packaged foods.

If you drink a lot of soda, your chances of getting diabetes is higher. If you smoke a lot, your chances of getting lung cancer are higher. Soda is empty calories that don't fill you up or leave you satiated, it is a no brainer to steer clear with few exceptions.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    noo but its pop not soda
  • down_ell_beez
    down_ell_beez Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A lot of health insurance will charge you more if you are a smoker. I can imagine a day where your eating habits will also directly affect your premiums of healthcare.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I know several who voted for the soda tax in Berkeley. Wanting to moderate sodas with added sugar isn't equivalent to wanting to eliminate all sodas.

E.g., the Izze Sparkling Clementine sodas I had this week were unaffected.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    kanorbryhn wrote: »
    It is more so the sugar in soda that is bad for you.

If you haven't already, you should watch "Fed Up". It is a great documentary on sugars and packaged foods.

If you drink a lot of soda, your chances of getting diabetes is higher. If you smoke a lot, your chances of getting lung cancer are higher. Soda is empty calories that don't fill you up or leave you satiated, it is a no brainer to steer clear with few exceptions.

.............. please no. please don't turn this into a "sugar is evil" thread.
  • penkwin
    penkwin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Maybe in the "only when I drink" sense. I pretty much only have soda if it's mixed with alcohol. :|
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    It's gluten now. It'll be something else soon. Just wait.

Gluten is pretty much debunked now too, except for our Celiac friends