Should I be eating exercise calories?

Options
50452 Posts: 170 Member
My calorie goal is set at 1200 per day and, so far, that has been fine. I only get structured exercise from the very light physical therapy exercises that I do, although I do expect this to increase over time. MFP's calorie diary adds these calories to my 1200 minimum.

I know that there is a lot of differing opinions out there, but my understanding is that if I go under the 1200 minimum, I risk lowering my metabolism (or is that just a myth) and, thus, risk the rate at which I burn off excess fat.

I respond well to structure and feel that if I eat 1200 calories per day, that would work better for me, for the most part. If I am going to go out to dinner and know that I will indulge more than a normal-for-me dinner, then I would exercise specifically to counter the indulgence.

My question: Is it unwise to not eat to fulfill the daily extra calories from exercise since my calorie goal is already so low? I prefer not, but don't want to sabotage my efforts.

Replies

• Eliz_99
    Eliz_99 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If your limit is only 1200, then I would eat back any exercise calories otherwise you probably won't have the energy for the exercise.
  • mrsBrown1989
    Options
    i eat 1350 a day, with a cheat day. because 1200 is hard to maintain for a long run. (i lost 45 lbs doing 1200 a day and gained 20 back after) so i do 1350 with the cheat day now because i can maintain that

1350 calories and i do NOT eat back calories burned but i do eat them back on my cheat day(s).
  • who4fan
    who4fan Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but if you keep losing steadily without eating the extra calories then I would just stick with that. I have been doing physical therapy as well but I have also been riding a recumbent bike. I don't eat all of the extra calories but I do occasionally eat some of them, maybe 50 or so. Like everything else, you have to figure out how your body is responding. If you stall, then you might want to consider consuming the extra calories.
    50452 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're properly tracking (i.e. measuring and weighing your food properly so you actually know that you're hitting only 1200), then yes, eat back exercise calories (and for this too, make sure you're tracking your burn properly and definitely don't go off of MFP calorie burns).

1200 NET is the minimum that MFP will set for you and they use that as their minimum number for good reason.
    Eliz_99 wrote: »
    If your limit is only 1200, then I would eat back any exercise calories otherwise you probably won't have the energy for the exercise.

I'm pretty sure it was set my MFP and, like I said, so far I'm okay. I'm meticulous with weighing everything that I eat down to the gram.
    i eat 1350 a day, with a cheat day. because 1200 is hard to maintain for a long run. (i lost 45 lbs doing 1200 a day and gained 20 back after) so i do 1350 with the cheat day now because i can maintain that

1350 calories and i do NOT eat back calories burned but i do eat them back on my cheat day(s).

I don't do cheat days, but I can see myself having a cheat meal once in a while - eventually. I may also up my minimum if I do find that 1200 is too difficult to sustain over time.

What is your definition of a cheat day? No measuring/no counting? Anything goes (within reason)?

• svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I eat right around 1200 per day. I run, walk, bike, or swim 6 days a week at a moderate to high intensity, so I burn a lot of calories. I do not eat the calories back per recommendation of my coach. I fond that if I eat 1200 ish, I lose. If I increase my calories I stay the same. So for me it works to not eat the exercise calories back.
  • steeheart
    steeheart Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think that if you're properly tracking (i.e. measuring and weighing your food properly so you actually know that you're hitting only 1200), then yes, eat back exercise calories (and for this too, make sure you're tracking your burn properly and definitely don't go off of MFP calorie burns).

1200 NET is the minimum that MFP will set for you and they use that as their minimum number for good reason.

Just thought I would mention that mfp has my calorie goal set to 1120. I weigh 165, losing 2 pounds a week. I always thought 1200 was the minimum too until it kept lowering and lowering my calories to this point!

And to the original topic, personally I do not eat my exercise calories. But I also don't do a lot of strenuous activity. I find it hard to lose weight and build muscle at the same time, because when I work out hard I want to eat a lot more. So personally.. I walk about 5 miles a day and do light stength training, and I stick to the 1100-1200 range regardless of how many extra calories mfp gives me, and it works for me.

I also do a cheat dinner once a week. I go to a high end restaurant and order whatever I want. With dessert. I don't suggest doing your cheat meal at McDonald's, because most likely you aren't going to feel good afterwards.