Calorie restriction and weight gain

So I've been pretty good in my 1,500 calorie diet but have not lost any weight. On the contrary, I've gained it. I look better and lost inches, however, no numbers. I recently bought a body fat scale that says I should be eating 2200 calories a day. I guess my question is, If I'm not losing weight, is there a reason to restrict calories? Or should I eat more?

Replies

• alanlmarshall
    alanlmarshall Posts: 587 Member
    If you look good and lost inches, what difference does it make what the numbers are?

If you eat more calories you'll gain more weight.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    You are likely not counting calories correctly. Do you weigh all your solids? Measure all liquids?
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    If weight loss is your goal, eating more is not going to get you there.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    It's really, really common to see little logging inaccuracies add up until they wipe out the calorie deficit that you think you're eating at. Which is why the posters around here almost always suggest tightening up your logging before changing their calorie goals.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1290491/how-and-why-to-use-a-digital-food-scale

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1234699/logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • Leana088
    Leana088 Posts: 581 Member
    I assume you are exercising if you lost inches. A new exercise regime can make you retain water weight. That could be what's bothering you.

Other than that, I agree with the above posters. Losing inches is better than losing weight.

Example: Bodybuilders are all classified as overweight by BMI. But honestly, do they look fat to you???
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    lolwut?

Math ahead:

You're NOT losing @ 1500, and raising to 2200... for an additional 700 calories a day. At 3500-ish calories per pound of fat , that'd be a pound *extra* you'll be putting on every 5 days. Keep it up for a year and you'll be *at least* 70 pounds heavier this time next year( PLUS whatever you are already gaining before you raise your intake by 700).

So ...yeah ... if you're looking to gain massive amounts of weight, add another 700 a day.

If you're not ... then don't go there.

Find the *real* problem and fix it.

HINT: You're eating significantly more than the 1500 you think you're eating. Find out why.
  • Zedeff
    Zedeff Posts: 651 Member
    Nobody asked the most important question: for how long have you been consistently following this 1500/day regimen? If less than 10 days, you likely HAVE lost fat, it simply hasn't manifested itself in the scale yet. It's too much to type from my phone ATM, but Google "whoosh weight loss" for an explanation.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Here's a simple graphic for the wonderful whoosh. I am awaiting a visit from the whoosh fairy any day now, if she knows what's good for her! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
    gcdiqb69f43x.jpeg
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Love this! I recently found out that weight lost leaves your body through exhaling . . . who woulda thunk?
  • uvi5
    uvi5 Posts: 710 Member
    Zedeff wrote: »
    Nobody asked the most important question: for how long have you been consistently following this 1500/day regimen? If less than 10 days, you likely HAVE lost fat, it simply hasn't manifested itself in the scale yet. It's too much to type from my phone ATM, but Google "whoosh weight loss" for an explanation.

Wow, I did just look it up and found this encouraging article:) http://leanmuscleproject.com/how-whooshes-impact-your-weight-loss/

Now i am going for another walk. Thanks for bringing this subject up! Happy wooshing to all!