choosing a protein powder

so i went to a supplement store today....and chickened out. the people there completely blew me off...when i cashed out the guy wouldn't even look at me, never mind recommend something. sooo.. maybe u all would like to help. i work out everyday, with strength training 3 times a week. i start my morning with a meal replacement shake.......i know i know. and am looking to do a protein shake instead since i plan on working out first thing. so...for someone starting out what would u all recommend? i want something filling since i usually skip breakfast and something that mixes well with fruit and almond milk if possible? i know next to nothing bout protein powder but felt it was preferable to the meal replacement! thanks!

Replies

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited March 2015
    Personally I go for the blandest one possible. No fillers. I like Promix myself, you can find it on Amazon.

I don't like the fillers because it goes the best with everything, if I want vanilla, I add vanilla extract; chocolate, just add some cocoa powder etc. I used to drink flavored ones like optimum nutrition, but found I got extremely sick of the taste after drinking the 5 pound tub. I've been drinking Promix for over a year now and am not even sick of just drinking it plane with water.

• athena61
    athena61 Posts: 54 Member
    I went with Teras Whey. It was recommended in my organic food co-op. Those people are generally pretty knowledgeable. There is not a lot of weird things in it at all. It's grass fed, organic, pure nutrition. The ingredients list is organic dairy whey protein concentrate, organic vanilla, organic sunflower lecithin, organic Stevia leaf extract. It really tastes great and mixes very well. It will give you 21 g of protein per serving and 110 cal. I mix it with almond milk.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    athena61 wrote: »
    I went with Teras Whey. It was recommended in my organic food co-op. Those people are generally pretty knowledgeable. There is not a lot of weird things in it at all. It's grass fed, organic, pure nutrition. The ingredients list is organic dairy whey protein concentrate, organic vanilla, organic sunflower lecithin, organic Stevia leaf extract. It really tastes great and mixes very well. It will give you 21 g of protein per serving and 110 cal. I mix it with almond milk.

That's the one I jump to if I run out of mine. They sell a bland version of that too, without the stevia and vanilla :smile:
  • macydawn23
    macydawn23 Posts: 6 Member
    I would recommend a whey protein, which you can get anywhere. I have honestly never been able to tell a difference in quality when it comes to brands - only taste... you can get some amazing flavors out there if you are wanting to spend the money. If you want a pure, rapidly absorbed whey for post workout, try an isolate, or hydrolyzed whey isolate. My pick is Dymatize Iso-100. I like isolate when I don't have many carbs left over but still need some protein. I work out first thing in the mornings too and I eat carbs first, then I have a protein drink after my workout.
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    thanks all! i would consider buying a flavored for when i want just a shake and unflavored for when i want to mix it up myself! i thought the place i went would have been more helpful but they pretty much looked at me and decided nah... and im not that out of shape! hate to see how they would treat someone really overweight. really dissapointed me
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    You have to be careful with low-quality protein powders. There have been plenty of scandals of them claiming to be "20g protein!" but actually containing 9 or 10. Additionally, some companies boost their protein count with low quality fillers like collagen protein (those new WHEY shots are the WORST offender here) and other milk proteins.

For that reason i only purchase products which have been independently tested.

IMO you cannot go wrong with Optimum Nutrition and Dymatize in calorie count, flavor, consistency, and macros.

There are some tasty ones like Syntha 6 and muscle milk but they aren't as good calorie/protein ratio. I think even Quest makes a protein powder now which i imagine will taste great and has an EXCELLENT ratio of 110 calories for 23g protein.

You can go back to the store to purchase this stuff in person but i really recommend you buy all your supplements off of BodyBuilding.com. They have the lowest prices, largest selection, fast shipping, and you get freebees and samples when you order.

best of luck!
  • jenncornelsen
    i love quest bars. i actually bought some today at the supplement store when no one would help me figure out protein powders!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    i love quest bars. i actually bought some today at the supplement store when no one would help me figure out protein powders!

My only complaint is the price. They are SO dang expensive.

Also, their protein powders are REALLY expensive for a small container. You can get a giant jug of ON or Dymatize for the same price.

But they are a more "designer" and "fancy" brand i guess. :P
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Are you coming up short on your protein?
  • jenncornelsen
    i try to come up slightly above on protein. mostly because i feel this keeps me fuller than say having most my calories come from carbs.
  • danielabe1985
    danielabe1985 Posts: 1,582 Member
    I use a brand called venom protein, highly recommended
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    i try to come up slightly above on protein. mostly because i feel this keeps me fuller than say having most my calories come from carbs.

Me too.

Has anyone tried the Quest protein powder? I'm pretty sure this is the only American brand we have in Australia.
  • DC_TheDrivah1
    DC_TheDrivah1 Posts: 77 Member
    I'm currently drinking to different kinds of protein right now. 'Optimum Nutrition' 100% Whey Protein Isolates (cookies & cream) in the morning and 'Optimum Nutrition' Casein Protein (blueberries & cream) before bed. Casein is digested slower which is why I drink think it at night and whey protein is digested faster. By the way the blueberries & cream tastes horrible lol. As far as whey protein in the brand I've tried cookies and cream, strawberry, chocolate malt, double rich chocolate, and peanut butter/chocolate. THOSE are all delicious! The PB/chocolate one is kinda so-so, wasn't a fan honestly. But yea, Optimum Nutrition is my favorite. Affordable as well.