Is it possible to lose 2 stone in 4 & 1/2 months?

I am a 5 foot 7" 19 year old, currently weighing just under 11 stone. Been slowly shedding the pounds for about 6 weeks with a lot of exercising, including running 2-3 times a week and calorie counting plus eating clean. It's the longest I've stuck to a diet but I was curious if the rate of weight loss was meant to be so slow? I am going on holiday in august and have the goal of being toned...will it happen?

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    10 lb in 6 weeks isn't slow. In fact, since you don't have much to lose you should be aiming for 1 lb a week max. Also, you will find it much easier to stick to if you drop the 'clean' thing and just work the things you like into your calorie allowance while also meeting your nutritional targets (macros and micros). Weight loss comes from eating at a deficit, avoiding certain foods because you think they are 'bad' won't make it happen any faster :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    You're losing, because you're eating at a deficit. You're not losing slowly.
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    I personally have lost 3 stone 2lb since beginning of January so yes it is and this is through cleaner eating and calorie deficit
  • ainov90
    ainov90 Posts: 4 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    10 lb in 6 weeks isn't slow. In fact, since you don't have much to lose you should be aiming for 1 lb a week max. Also, you will find it much easier to stick to if you drop the 'clean' thing and just work the things you like into your calorie allowance while also meeting your nutritional targets (macros and micros). Weight loss comes from eating at a deficit, avoiding certain foods because you think they are 'bad' won't make it happen any faster :)

I'm sorry but I find this advice ridiculous. Encouraging someone to eat junk if it fits the calorie limit is not good because the food you put in your body is so much more than just bloody calories. Clean eating has many health benefits which support weight loss (increased energy, better utilisation of nutrients etc) and leads to better body composition. Eating 800kcal/day of junk food will surely lead to weight loss but it will also make you a miserable skinny fat. Eating 1500kcal/day of healthy veg and protein leads to much more lasting results and I bet you anything your body will look better even if the scale shows a higher number.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    ainov90 wrote: »

I'm sorry but I find this advice ridiculous. Encouraging someone to eat junk if it fits the calorie limit is not good because the food you put in your body is so much more than just bloody calories. Clean eating has many health benefits which support weight loss (increased energy, better utilisation of nutrients etc) and leads to better body composition. Eating 800kcal/day of junk food will surely lead to weight loss but it will also make you a miserable skinny fat. Eating 1500kcal/day of healthy veg and protein leads to much more lasting results and I bet you anything your body will look better even if the scale shows a higher number.

Bro-Science BAM! - I find your advice ridiculous and a straw-man argument because Nony_Mouse clearly said meet your nutritional targets and eat what you like

She's right - you're wrong!
  • Sued0nim
    I am a 5 foot 7" 19 year old, currently weighing just under 11 stone. Been slowly shedding the pounds for about 6 weeks with a lot of exercising, including running 2-3 times a week and calorie counting plus eating clean. It's the longest I've stuck to a diet but I was curious if the rate of weight loss was meant to be so slow? I am going on holiday in august and have the goal of being toned...will it happen?

lift heavy things and put them down again as you eat in a low defecit aiming to lose 0.5-1lb per week
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member

At no point did this person suggest eating 800 kcal of junk food a day. They just suggested that the OP not be too restrictive. There have been many studies that show that highly restrictive diets are much harder to maintain than diets in which you are allowed 'discretionary' calories, such as chocolate. People on less restrictive but still calorie controlled diets stick to the diet for longer and keep the weight off longer, contrary to your assertion. I have seen recommendations of around 10-20 % of daily calorie intake as fun foods, providing all macro and micro nutritional needs are met.

Of course if you don't fancy ice cream you're not obliged to eat it, and the remaining 80-90 % is recommended to be from veggies and food traditionally thought of as healthy.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member

Her - "Don't be afraid to eat the odd treat if the rest of your diet is healthy."

You - "OMG SHE'S TELLING EVERYONE TO EAT NOTHING BUT JUNK FOOD HOW STUPID"
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member

Ahahaha, even when you put a clear statement about meeting nutritional requirements...also, I would never advocate anyone eat only 800kcal/day, no matter what it was they were making it up with, because that is disordered eating. Just as demonising entire food groups with silly labels such as 'clean' and 'unclean' is IMHO.

• mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member

Ahahaha, even when you put a clear statement about meeting nutritional requirements...also, I would never advocate anyone eat only 800kcal/day, no matter what it was they were making it up with, because that is disordered eating. Just as demonising entire food groups with silly labels such as 'clean' and 'unclean' is IMHO.

Agreed. But I think the thread has been side tracked into yet another debate between zealots and moderates.

OP: the most you should aim to lose really is 2 lbs a week. That means 28 weeks for 4 stone.

• Sued0nim

Agreed. But I think the thread has been side tracked into yet another debate between zealots and moderates.

OP: the most you should aim to lose really is 2 lbs a week. That means 28 weeks for 4 stone.

She hasn't much to lose and is aiming for a BMI around 19 .. so I think even 2lbs a week is a little excessive
  • pinkteapot3
    pinkteapot3 Posts: 157 Member
    edited March 2015
    I'm the same height as you and have been losing from 11 stone, aiming for about 9 stone 12 (from experience, that's my confident weight where I look healthy - higher than some as I have an hourglass shape and large frame).

I've only got MFP set to 1lb per week. It won't actually let me do 2lbs a week - if I put it to 1.5lbs, it gives me a goal of 1,200 cals. At 2lbs/week, it's still 1,200 cals because that's the minimum. Even to lose 1lb a week, I'm on 1,240 cals. This means that I physically can't (healthily) lose much faster than 1lb/week.

What cal goal does MFP give you for different rates of loss?

At 1lb/week, 2 stone would take 28 weeks, or about six months. You'd only be half a stone off your goal weight after 4.5 months. :smile:

I vote you stick with slow and steady. 1.5 stone off by your holiday will still be really noticeable on you. And you'll do it by eating enough that you're not completely miserable during the process.
  • EmmaVance498
    EmmaVance498 Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you so much for your feedback, it's been really helpful for me!

I'm on 1.5lbs with 1,120 calories but each day I do exceed the limit with a snack in between lunch and dinner - especially the days I'd be exercising a lot more.

Thank you, this has really motivated me to keep going knowing it's so achievable! I know it takes 12 weeks or so to start seeing results but I already feel so much better just by eating better and doing the sport I love, while also occasionally eating treats in moderation - it's great!
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    2 Stone ~= 28 lbs. / 18 weeks ~= 1.6 lbs./week is what your looking for.

Female @ 5' 7" has a healthy range of ~ 127-159 lbs ( 9-11 stone ), so your already lean, which will make it harder.

Your SED TDEE for this weight range is ~ 1711-1850.

So you can't get there with just intake restriction, in that time frame, if you maintain minimum safe intake levels.

To get the other 0.6lb./week you desire, you'll need to average an additional 300 /day deficit from exercise.

So yes, its possible. Realistically thou, your goal is probably a bit too aggressive given your time frame.
  • rsmrodgers
    rsmrodgers Posts: 11 Member

Well put