Women who work in traditionally male roles?

Options
2»

Replies

• Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I'm one of two women in our building department. I do plan review and am around contractors and inspectors all day. But I find that since they act like a bunch of high school girls, it's really not all that unfamiliar. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have learned to speak with confidence and choose my arguments wisely. I don't dress or do my makeup differently--just appropriately for my profession. I refuse to try to pretend I'm "one of the guys". I'm one of the *professionals* who works there. If they can't get past the fact that I'm a woman, that's their problem to deal with, not mine.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be girly and feminine in your free time, you don't have to be. If it's a "struggle" just be yourself and do what comes naturally.
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I used to be a hod carrier for my ex husband's masonry company. I was right there with the guys all day getting dirty, mixing mud and carrying bricks and blocks. I felt fantastic and strong and that made me feel sexy. I've never been super feminine or girly and that's okay. You don't have to be girly to be sexy.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options
    I wish more girls worked in my field. That'd be awesome.
  • butterflyluv1218
    Options
    I work for a heavy machinery company and it's all men! I still dress feminine, makeup and all of that but after 8 years I've noticed I've been desensitized. I'm not very "lady like" anymore. :blushing: I could probably give them all a run for their money.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to be girly and feminine in your free time, you don't have to be. If it's a "struggle" just be yourself and do what comes naturally.

This is a really good point. Do you struggle because you feel you *should* be girly? Or do you *want* to be girly but struggle with the execution?
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options

Yep, this!
  • greenmonstergirl
    greenmonstergirl Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I have always been in industrial sales (selling to construction sites or power plants), I don't dress up or wear makeup. Besides this my hobbies are racing motorcycles/shooting guns/hunting...

Yes I am a tomboy!

I get pedicures twice a month and that's about the only girlie thing I do other than I love my long hair and take care of that. But believe me, I'm all girl and love men!:love::heart: :blushing:
  • nucgirl13
    nucgirl13 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am in training to be a reactor operator at a nuclear power plant. I wear khakis and a blue polo to work like everyone else. I also wear safety shoes, a hard hat and safety glasses. I've made small adjustments to my uniform to make it more girly - pink shoelaces and a pink lanyard for my security badge, I wear makeup to work everyday, and as previously mentioned girly underwear.
  • dooplegoon
    dooplegoon Posts: 66
    Options
    I do research in Applied Mathematics. Its a boys club for sure. It is sort of hard to get men to take you seriously in the first place. And I've noticed that the few girls that are in the math department, dress very androgynous. And I have heard other mathy women talk about how they stopped wearing feminine clothes because they got passed over and talked over. But I have never been a very feminine dresser, so I've not had a problem in this regard. Letting my hair grow long is about the only very feminine thing I do and I can tuck that away if I need to.

I totally identify with this original poster. I wonder now if all these years, I wasn't overly-girly because I am over-weight. It is like some sort of defense mechanism? I always felt awkward in girly clothes, like I wasn't good enough for them. But I sort of want to be girly. Maybe weight loss triggers some kind of latent desire to be that person you want to be but have felt awkward with. And having a day job that isn't conducive to this gives you a lot less time to practice. I don't have any answers. But I do identify with the problem.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I love this damn thread. Strong women in male dominated fields.
    I work in finance... I called it The Boys Club.
    I don't do sports, I don't play golf, I don't keep up with the Wall Street Journal.
    If I wear slacks and a nice blouse with minimal jewelry, I blend.
    If I wear a skirt or dress or my "full face" makeup, I get 'noticed'... and in a way I don't appreciate. I'm not here to be looked at in a physical manner. I'm here to do my job and be recognized for that!

That being said, I try to be girly when not at work (or I did before I gained back so much weight).
    I'm trying to get back there.
    Someone mentioned buying girly panties to wear under your work clothes -- ROCK ON!
    I use to wear a red bra and matching panties under mundane outfits. Knowing I had them on made me feel fabulous and powerful.
    I like that idea... try buying a blouse that is 'in fashion' for weekend wear. I deplore "fashionable" clothes but Lord knows when I buy something and wear it, I get compliments!
    Someone mentioned wearing a dress, if even just to the grocery store. Another great idea!!
    Slowly work your way into doing things you think are "girly" in appearance for yourself outside work. If you can incorporate them a little into your work attire and feel comfortable and are still treated respectfully, go for it!

Again, I LOVE THIS THREAD. Feeling like I work in a boy's club is disheartening, but to know other strong women do the same, other smart and intelligent women, breaking through that glass ceiling we encounter.... heart warming! Encouraging! Hoping the pathways will be easier for my scientific and mathematically minded 7 year old as she grows up. :heart:
  • aerochic42
    aerochic42 Posts: 822 Member
    Options
    Enginerd currently working at metal plant. I often am tromping in around in press shirt, hard hat, steel tow with metatarsal coverage. I've never been girlie but picking up belly dance has helpd that some with finding my feminine side some (big skirts, shiny costumes and jewelery, show face, etc.) I'm still wrapping my brain about adding makeup, but the thought is defintely present - I just have no idea how to start.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I'm a merchandiser for a frozen foods company. There is a lot of physically demanding work and in-outs in freezers all. There are very few women who do my job. I love being one of the few women. Actually, I have worked several jobs where I was the ONLY woman!
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options

Yep, this!

and another vote for this one.

I work in an industrial R&D chemistry lab. The other chemists I work with are older. Old enough they didn't even have computers when they were getting their degrees, and they didn't have women in their science classes either. The dress code is business casual, but lab appropriate, which means dress slacks, usually. I make it as girly as I can, and throw a dress on when I get home, but that's me. I've made it a policy to not feel like I have to un-girl things to succeed in predominately male activities. Even my motorcycle is girly. But like I said, that's me. You just need to do you. Experiment and figure out what's more comfortable for you.
  • kmartinixx
    kmartinixx Posts: 197
    Options
    I'm an IT girl, and while there are many of those nowadays, I work in the Facilities department at my company as a Program Analyst and I'm the only woman in the office. Not to mention, I JUST graduated college and I'm only 22. All of the guys in here are like 40 and up!
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    <
    Girly girl. Rairoad Construction and state of good repair, 70 million dollar budget, 200 stout hearted unionized men representing all trades report to me.
  • Maribel_1986
    Maribel_1986 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I work in Law Enforcement... so I wear my uniform, boots, badge, vest, etc. I love it... we have about 10 women and about 60 men... It's nice to work in this field because even the women aren't drama when we go to calls, we just handle what comes like partners.. the way it should be :smile:

I am usually in jeans, wear girly shirts and definitely wear make up when I'm EOW
  • Mjandjt
    Mjandjt Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm a freight railroad conductor. Physical job sometimes but not as much as I expected. I've gained about 40lbs in the last couple years doing it though. Living out of hotels and engines makes it hard to figure out your eating and water intake (bathrooms on engines are NASTY...and I don't want to get stuck in the middle of nowhere 5000 feet back on a train and have to go!) I get it...I want to stay feminine and I try to but it doesn't always work out!
  • ladytinkerbell99
    ladytinkerbell99 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    Bump. Glad I am not alone.