Is anybody else's body put together wrong or is it just me?!

Options

Replies

• justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    yes! I've cut my chiro visits from every couple weeks to every couple months just by adding heavy deadlifts to my routine. It's amazing how much it can help.
  • NJGamerChick
    NJGamerChick Posts: 467 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just a quick note about the head tilt. Sometimes that can be indicative of eyesight issues, most commonly, astigmatism. If this is indeed an issue, I'd suggest having your eyes checked if it hasn't been in a while. I used to tilt my head a lot and thought it was more habit since I'd been doing it since I was a child and it had never been caught because I had 20/15 vision. He said it was a pretty common thing, and glasses fixed the issue right up.

ETA: I also swear by chiropractors. It's common for my joints to pop out of place and 10 minutes 2-3 times a week to start is so worth it. I've also had migraines disappear within 5 minutes of a neck adjustment, so if it's quackery, I'll take it! LOL! I guess my point is, if you find a good, decently priced one who gets right down to business, it takes no time and can do a world of good.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    How can I describe my emotions at this catastrophe, or how delineate the wretch whom with such infinite pains and care I had endeavoured to form? His limbs were in proportion, and I had selected his features as beautiful. Beautiful! -- Great God! His yellow skin scarcely covered the work of muscles and arteries beneath; his hair was of a lustrous black, and flowing; his teeth of a pearly whiteness; but these luxuriances only formed a more horrid contrast with his watery eyes, that seemed almost of the same colour as the dun white sockets in which they were set, his shrivelled complexion and straight black lips.

So if you do go see a doctor about all this, maybe not THAT doctor... :D
  • musclegood_fatbad
    musclegood_fatbad Posts: 9,809 Member
    Options
    Everyone is put together differently and in same way a little wrong. Don't worry about it. You can help correct some of the issues with mobility training...I use mobilitywod (just youtube videos) to help with some of the hip, ankle and shoulder issues I have. Trainers may not just make it up, but they do make sure they point out every tiny thing and make it seem the only way to correct it is by paying them huge dollars.
  • Gail362
    Gail362 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You should think about going to a good yoga instructor and seeing if she/he would consult with you. Yoga is all about alignment and how to strengthen your body (without equipment, chiropractors etc.) It is worth looking into, & that's a very good way to go.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Did he actually say "you are put together wrong"?

Its a valid assessment to check for imbalances (that everyone has). How much he exaggerated them is another matter.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    When I started having problems with my knees my physiotherapist started me on a round of exercises intended to strengthen my core, increase flexibility in my hips, and strengthen my knees. I am happy to report that my knees are much improved.

I also favour one side over the other, and that is slowly rebalancing as I stretch out both sides.

This set of exercises are similar to what my physiotherapist has me on, and they are free.

http://www.triglifeservices.com/blog/?p=2024

I also do a sort of Yoga once a week which has really helped my flexibility and mobility. I can pop up from a prone position for instance, and crouch down to pick up a penny. This may seem pretty ordinary to many people but believe me, ninety pounds ago these things were hard.

So if you are out of alignment, these sorts of exercises will help, and then you can do the combination of cardio and lifting that you enjoy along with these with less concern about injury.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    See a chiropractor. He will be able to diagnose whether these 'issues' do exist, and work on getting your body back into alignment if they do actually exist.

OP: Do not see a chiropractor. They can do more harm than good.

If you are concerned, see an orthopedic physician or physical therapist.

Who can also do more harm than good, chiros have worked for me in the past but I wouldn't recommend one in this case.

MD's and PT's do not do what chiropractors do. Don't even bother trying to compare the two.

Neck and spinal adjustments can lead to damage of neck arteries which can cause a stroke. I know 3 people this has happened to. One ended up paralyzed after visiting a chiropractor, another died from the stroke, and the other suffered a stroke and survived but had to relearn how to walk, talk, and how to do basic day-to-day activities.

I currently have a coworker who goes to a chiropractor and he did something that caused her to faint the other week.

Sorry but I would NEVER recommend a chiro to anyone.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    He may be a salesman, and he may not have the knowledge to make a medical assessment, but I bet he's seeing something wonky. He could equally well have tried to sell you other kinds of training, no reason for him to get all diagnose-y.

Physiotherapist, not chiro. There is some chiro, usually practiced by people working in sports med clinics, that is appropriately MSK focused and basically amounts to massage (NOT spinal manipulation, steer clear of that!), but a lot that is rooted in quackery, and there's no way to know the difference if you don't know the difference already, if you know what I mean. Original chiropractic is based on some kooky stuff.

Wikipedia on the controversies
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiropractic_controversy_and_criticism

(I too would never see a chiro)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ...but that's not part of the free assessment...

Surprise, surprise.

Ignore him. Almost everybody's body is unbalanced in various ways - it's normal, and unless it's causing you real-world problems, don't worry about it.

Better yet - fire him and find an honest trainer.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I would go see a doctor and run far from this trainer. I have worked with a personal trainer for over 1 1/2 and she never once has given me any advise like that. I mean she did tell me that she can tell its me running down the road by the way I carry my hands but has never tried to correct it or even said it was bad for that matter.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Okay I'm never going to see a personal trainer now. Not that I ever really wanted to but...golly. What a story!

You're going to let 1 person's story, 1 isolated incident impact your behavior??? As with any profession, there are good ones and there are bad ones. Do a little research first, if you can, then If you get a bad one just move on to the next.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I think that unless you have an elbow where your forehead should be, you're put together perfectly fine.

You found a quack of a trainer who needs to use fear tactics to sell his services rather than quality instruction and motivation.

Anyone want to start a pool on the next session being a "nutrition consultation" that would end with Broscience diet recommendations and a laundry list of "essential" supplements that would add another fifty quid or so per month to his bill?
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My husband has scoliosis (diagnosed by an actual dr). He still lifts and runs. Soooo...yeah, you should be fine to lift (with a different trainer).
  • LittleJem01
    LittleJem01 Posts: 51 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Anyone want to start a pool on the next session being a "nutrition consultation" that would end with Broscience diet recommendations and a laundry list of "essential" supplements that would add another fifty quid or so per month to his bill?
    Strangely enough he did mention that he sells supplements at a "competitive price"...!!

I wasn't really looking for a regular PT, it was just a free intro session offered by the gym when I signed up. I had hoped he'd give me a programme outline to follow as has happened in other gyms I've been at in the past but because it's a budget-price gym apparently they wont help with designing a fitness programme unless you're paying extra for the PT service. Not the best set-up but the facility itself is decent and it's very local too so I'll stick with it and just do some research on the best exercises to help me get where i want to be ... and keep a physio on speed dial just in case lol. Thanks everyone for your input, links and suggestions - I'm off home to plunder the internet!

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Strangely enough he did mention that he sells supplements at a "competitive price"...!!

I wasn't really looking for a regular PT, it was just a free intro session offered by the gym when I signed up. I had hoped he'd give me a programme outline to follow as has happened in other gyms I've been at in the past but because it's a budget-price gym apparently they wont help with designing a fitness programme unless you're paying extra for the PT service. Not the best set-up but the facility itself is decent and it's very local too so I'll stick with it and just do some research on the best exercises to help me get where i want to be ... and keep a physio on speed dial just in case lol. Thanks everyone for your input, links and suggestions - I'm off home to plunder the internet!

Yeaaaaaay!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I am not aware of any gyms that will help design a fitness programme unless you pay extra.

If you let people know your goals and preferences, they can possibly help with directing you to a good routine.
  • lngrunert
    lngrunert Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    What's all the hate on chiro's? Mine has done wonders for me.

Mine as well. There are plenty of horrible ones out there, but you can say that about any profession. He corrected a neck injury about five years ago that unresponsive to any other treatment I had tried, including several months of physical therapy. And when I herniated a disc a couple of years ago, I was back on my feet and pain free within a month.

My chiro does not push or even bring up diet or cleanses or any of that nonsense with me. And he thinks is super awesome that I lift now.
  • Dragn77
    Dragn77 Posts: 810 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That personal trainer sounds like a donkey....you're put together wrong? Whaaa?!

Others summed up my thoughts on that already..just had to mention, for the first in forever, I flashed back to when I was a kid and would play with my Mr. Potato Head...Id do stuff like stick his arms in his nose, and his ear in his eye..and be all "Now you're perfect!"

Makes me think he used to do stuff like that too. At least I didn't grow up to be a doctor or a personal trainer...thank goodness for small favours eh? hahaha!
  • LittleJem01
    LittleJem01 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I am not aware of any gyms that will help design a fitness programme unless you pay extra.

If you let people know your goals and preferences, they can possibly help with directing you to a good routine.

The two previous gyms I've been a member of over the years have had programme design and regular reviews included in the basic fee package (albeit a higher cost than I'm paying now) - maybe I've just been spoiled lol.

Having seen your profile pics @Sarauk2sf‌ I think my ultimate aim is now to have a body like yours!! Short/medium term though I'd like to improve my cardio - aim is to be able to run a 10k by September (started c25k with pretty much a zero running capability) - and also learn to lift. I've only ever used machines in the past and not for years so I'm starting from scratch there as well. On the machines I can currently leg press 117 and bench a pathetic 50 but I've only been back in the gym about 10 days. I'm trying to eat at around a 700cal deficit at the moment aiming to drop around another 10lb, although as long as my shape improves I'm not too fussed about what the scales show.

I don't know if that's the kind of info that would be helpful in terms of suggestions for a routine but if anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to start the Limber 11 that was suggested earlier to try and address some of the mobility issues, and I've been looking at Strong Curves too for lifting - does anyone have any experience of that or thoughts on it as a starting point? I'm really grateful for all the advice so far :)