No GNC protein fans? Why?

Options
In the umpteen threads on protein shake options, I never see anyone recommend GNC whey products. Why is that? Too many cals/protein gram? Too expensive? Too much sugar/carbs?

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    The protein-to-calorie ratio isn't great, the cost is fairly high compared to other brands, and it just doesn't taste as good. Plus, every time you go in there, the "salespeople" try to sell you about a million other products that you probably don't need.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    The price.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    LoraF83 wrote: »
    The protein-to-calorie ratio isn't great, the cost is fairly high compared to other brands, and it just doesn't taste as good. Plus, every time you go in there, the "salespeople" try to sell you about a million other products that you probably don't need.

^this

Last time I went to buy Optimum Nutrition protein powder the guy kept trying to sell me every pre/during/post/workout and a partridge in a pear tree . I'm like
    10z1i5j.jpg
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I've used a few of their products in the past and it's fine, just pretty expensive comparatively. Their deals/membership promos help a lot, but to me ended up being more of a pain than it was worth.
  • mzjenn2u
    mzjenn2u Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Pricey in my opinion.....also I prefer going to Vitamin Shoppe...sales people aren't so pushy and seem more knowledgeable
  • pamckinley
    pamckinley Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    At GNC I get Isopure low carb whey protein powder. 220 cals. 1g fat. 0.5g sat fat and 50g protein. Mixes very well. Zero lumps. Cost is far less than any other high protein shake I've found.
  • Jeanburgland
    Jeanburgland Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Ms_LisaKay wrote: »
    In the umpteen threads on protein shake options, I never see anyone recommend GNC whey products. Why is that? Too many cals/protein gram? Too expensive? Too much sugar/carbs?

• Jeanburgland
    Options
    I'm a bodybuilder/powerlifter. Female age 52. I've used GNC Wheybolic extreme 60 and now Extreme 60 ripped for several years. It's excellent. I use a lot of supplements but that's the only one I get at GNC as it is expensive but worth it. a0yhime2wb8s.jpg
  • jacksonpt
    edited March 2015
    Options
    ^^ is there something about it that makes it better than other leading options, say something like ON's Pro Complex? Something to justify the price? You say it's worth it - why?

Legit question, not trying to pick a fight.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    For GNC to be so expensive, their associates aren't very knowledgeable and most don't even look like they use the products. If I already know what I want and its on sale, then I will go there, but I buy most of my products on-line.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I love the taste of it! Although I agree, it is pretty pricey.
  • Jeanburgland
    Options
    I can't compare it because like I said I've stuck with these 2 for years now. I like the extras. L-Carnitine green tea extract, aminos etc. Plus sups shouldn't be taken for taste, but for purpose. However, this one tastes good! I take ON All Natural Casein and ON Creatine, Muscle Pharm BCAAs. So I do use different brands of things but feel GNC extreme ripped has given me really great results. I apologize if my endorsement isn't scientific enough but it's the one thing I have not been tempted to change.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    No worries, that's good enough for me. Thanks.
  • Jeanburgland
    Options
    :)
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input, everyone! I use GNC because it was the first thing recommended to us, so I wanted to get some glimpses as to why nobody ever mentions it. I haven't researched enough to know what makes one shake better or more preferable to another. I read something about "fillers" the other day, but did not find those ingredients mentioned listed on my sup mix. I wanted to see if GNC brands were actually considered inferior.

I agree it is pricey; we went all in & just got the membership. As for the staff, we went into one store & the gal obviously knew NOTHING about the products on the shelf and we walked out. We went to a different GNC and the guy was VERY knowledgeable. (Later, we see him @ the gym all the time, heh!) I do find that salespeople will upsell @ GNC too, but eh, I figure that is just business.

I like the product we are using, and it is fantastic to know that some folks get great results while using the brand and do not find it detrimental. Thanks again for the responses!
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Cause I can buy mts whey which is will result in me getting a fantastic product and supporting a good man in the bodybuilding industry.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    mzjenn2u wrote: »
    I prefer going to Vitamin Shoppe...sales people aren't so pushy and seem more knowledgeable

Me too. At GNC (my impression) is that they mainly sell Optimum Nutrition brand, right? Stuff is relatively nasty, compared to Vitamin Shoppe's cheapest house brand stuff (Bodytech).

Just my subjective opinion, of course.
  • Ms_LisaKay
    Ms_LisaKay Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Me too. At GNC (my impression) is that they mainly sell Optimum Nutrition brand, right? Stuff is relatively nasty, compared to Vitamin Shoppe's cheapest house brand stuff (Bodytech).

Just my subjective opinion, of course.

Well, I am referring to the in-house brand only in the OP, the actual line of "GNC" labeled protein shake stuff. I see people recommend ON in many threads as well as MTS, and I wondered if the GNC line is considered drastically inferior or if there were other factors in play. I can absolutely appreciate not wanting to support places where one does not agree with business practices. I can also get on board with supporting people and businesses where one DOES appreciate the ethos. I basically want to know if I can answer threads about what I am using without plugging some filler-laden garbage.