Stuck!

Options
I recently got down to 121.6lbs, but it only lasts a week and now I'm stuck at my usual weight of 122lbs. It's not a lot I know - but there's still a smidge more I want to lose. Any tips!? I'm eating 1500-1600 calories a day and working out 5 days a week for 30-45 minutes a time.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    A lot of patience and accuracy.

At your stats, you simply do not burn a great deal in a day, so your deficit should be no more than 200-400 at most per day. And for a small deficit, accuracy is very important. Any estimations on your food intake could erode your intended deficit. Even with accuracy it could take 4-8 weeks to see a pound gone. And due to natural fluctuations in water weight it may not 'stay' gone.

Do you use a food scale for everything solid? Log every condiment, cooking oil, beverage, etc.?

And then ultimately, sometimes you have to decide what goals are most important. Having a single # as a goal weight can be infuriating. I've found accepting a range to be a bit better for my sanity. :)
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You don't look like you need to lose weight. You may be at a low enough weight that you would have to lose lean mass to lose much.
  • katiejanecollins
    katiejanecollins Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    A lot of patience and accuracy.

At your stats, you simply do not burn a great deal in a day, so your deficit should be no more than 200-400 at most per day. And for a small deficit, accuracy is very important. Any estimations on your food intake could erode your intended deficit. Even with accuracy it could take 4-8 weeks to see a pound gone. And due to natural fluctuations in water weight it may not 'stay' gone.

Do you use a food scale for everything solid? Log every condiment, cooking oil, beverage, etc.?

And then ultimately, sometimes you have to decide what goals are most important. Having a single # as a goal weight can be infuriating. I've found accepting a range to be a bit better for my sanity. :)

Thanks StaciMarie1974 - I do log everything but I know I don't eat the best options all the time, despite sticking within calories. That's a good way to look at it - maybe I should try it!!
  • katiejanecollins
    Options
    You don't look like you need to lose weight. You may be at a low enough weight that you would have to lose lean mass to lose much.

You say it's low, but it's not that low as many people I know weigh 115lbs for example and are the same age/height as me.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

You say it's low, but it's not that low as many people I know weigh 115lbs for example and are the same age/height as me.

Why obsessed with a number? No one knows what you weigh unless you tell them. Honestly most people can't tell when you lose a 2-3 pounds. Have you seen your friends weigh in? Cause people do, you know....lie.

Focus more on how you feel. Do some lifting and start toning your body. Even 10-15lbs heavier than your friends (assuming they don't lift) you could "look" better. Body composition can do a lot, especially around goal weight. Focus on you, not your friends.
  • katiejanecollins
    edited March 2015
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

Why obsessed with a number? No one knows what you weigh unless you tell them. Honestly most people can't tell when you lose a 2-3 pounds. Have you seen your friends weigh in? Cause people do, you know....lie.

Focus more on how you feel. Do some lifting and start toning your body. Even 10-15lbs heavier than your friends (assuming they don't lift) you could "look" better. Body composition can do a lot, especially around goal weight. Focus on you, not your friends.

I'm not obsessed with a number, I just look down and see fatter areas and know that they are the reason for my slighter heaver than desired self. I'm not basing my weight on how much everyone else weighs, I was using it as an example as I'm fed up of people saying 'you don't need to lose more weight'. I know I don't, but I want to... and clearly it's possible :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm not obsessed with a number, I just look down and see fatter areas and know that they are the reason for my slighter heaver than desired self. I'm not basing my weight on how much everyone else weighs, I was using it as an example as I'm fed up of people saying 'you don't need to lose more weight'. I know I don't, but I want to... and clearly it's possible :)

Things will appear "flabby" until you either lose all your body fat % (which would be unhealthy) or you start strength training and build/strengthen your muscles. Are you lifting heavy or are you just doing cardio and some moderate weights? I would strongly consider browsing threads of girls who "lift heavy". You can see some awesome results pictures.

Unfortunately around healthy BMI weight (I assume you are there, you never gave us a height) it becomes harder to drop a few pounds. You have to be very accurate in your measurements, etc. Your deficit shouldn't be higher than .5lbs down in a week. So it will take time. Also remember your body can go up and down a few pounds per day and during certain times of the month. So it may take a few weeks to see the scale move.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

I know it is possible for you to lose weight, I'm just giving you a reason why it might be harder for you to lose weight.