How to explain this diet to mum when coming home?

i'm coming back from uni soon and well, the weight gain is mainly due to uni but for the past month i've been trying to change my lifestyle by working out and eating better.

HOWEVER when i get home my mum will be buying the food and making our evening meal. i need to somehow explain to her that i need to go shopping with her and to make my own food -unless they're eating something healthy/within my calories.

The meals aren't really planned, hence a big problem. they're usually healthy but sometimes my mum can't be bothered cooking thus it's pizza or a ready meal etc which is aprox 700 cals per person sometimes (which is scary!) i only get 1, 200 a day and i prefer small meals/snacks.

My mum gets very moody easily and sometimes misunderstands people, mainly due to my dad being so inflexible when he diets (as well as yo-yo dieting) How can i tell her about this without upsetting her and making her angry?

thanks guys! I would just talk to her but i don't know how at the moment, as i'm sure she'll get angry. so please understand this is why i would like some advice- thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    why not just say you are trying to eat more healthy, and offer to do the shopping for her and share cooking duties with her?
  • UNLESS19
    UNLESS19 Posts: 118
    why not just say you are trying to eat more healthy, and offer to do the shopping for her and share cooking duties with her?
    my boyfriend suggested that :) I try to cook for her sometimes but she's a mum, she interferes instead of relaxing like i tell her too :P or she doesn't let me haha
    thanks so much :)
    I guess sometimes you just get a bit freaked out by the possibility of upsetting people that you forget the obvious things :P
    <3