3weeks and no loss.

Options
I hope someone can help me out.
I'm a 50/yo male with type 2 diabetes. I have been using MFP now for 21 days and haven't lost any weight.i think I'm actually up a pound or two.
I am not a drinker. I will on a very rare occasion have a couple of beers but that is usually around a campfire in Mid summer. A typical day of eating would be something like this.
breakfast
1cup bran flakes with 3/4 cup skim milk
and a banana or Apple.
snack before lunch either apple or banana and a bran bar.
lunch would be 8 baby carrots and 8 snap peas (both raw).
and a can of flaked turkey breast.
afternoon snack would be 1/3 cup unsalted almonds more peas and carrots.
Dinner would be 1 1/2cup brown rice with either chicken breast or lean pork and stir fried vegetables (celery, red and green peppers and green onion).
on workout days I will have a protein shake 1hour before and usually I'll have another afterwards.
Mi wear a Fitbit tracker and always get in at least 20 flights of stairs a day (I do building maint.) carrying a heavy tool bag. Plus I'm always between 8000-10000 steps per day. Water intake is 8-12 glasses/day and heavy lifting 4x per week.
doing this has kept my blood sugars very stable but my weight loss just isn't happening.
my carb/fat/protein intake is 50/25/25.
my recent blood work showed my T levels slightly higher than what my Dr. usually sees in someone my age.
i do not indulge in sweets either and have only had two honest days where I cheated (peanut butter on whole grain bread).
maybe I should go see my dietician and work out a new plan.
Thoughts???

Replies

• katalinax87
    katalinax87 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Only thing that stands out from what you've said is the fact that your measuring in cups. It might be worth getting a food scale and start weighing your foods as it's more accurate. Also consider liquid calories like soda coffee juice etc. Good luck. I understand your frustration
  • EricaAshley913
    EricaAshley913 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Sound like your doing good but ate you getting your proper rest? And you may need to drink more water. Your body is probably stagnant due to new changes. ..it happens to everyone, plus you are at the age when weight loss does not come easily off for a man or woman adding the type 2 diabetes...you doctor should have stold you that part...anyways definitely see a nutritionist, they can probably find out what is going on better than your doctor can, mean time relax because you may not see a difference in the scale, but there maybe a difference in measurement.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Your typical diet appears okay. The only thing I would suggest is making sure that there aren't some things you are eating that are outside of your typical diet and that your portion sizes are true to what you posted here.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why are you using measuring cups for meat? Only liquids should be in cups, everything else needs to be weighed.
  • Fugley01
    Fugley01 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've had days where my exercise has added 300 plus calories that I can eat and I don't eat them back. I don't have a food scale and frankly can't be bothered weighing everything. I'm not a soda drinker and rarely even drink fruit juice as I would rather just eat fruit.
    What I'm eating now is probably at least one third of what I would have normally eaten if not trying to loose weight. I have eaten more fruit and vegetables in the last three weeks than I did in the previous year. I also avoid sweets and any evening snacks
    I did take measurements about a week and a half ago for the first time. Maybe it's worth taking them again.
    I have free access to a dietician so maybe I'll call and make an appointment.
  • csteuter
    csteuter Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Your dietician will likely tell you to cut the carbs and eat a lot of green vegetables. Also, eating things in the right combination ... which for me just added a lot of "work" and additional frustration because now I could no longer eat a serving of mashed potatoes and peas since those are both starches, for example. I know your frustration, feeling it myself. But if your dietician is free (mine wasn't) then go for it!
  • lifeguard23
    lifeguard23 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It may be worth asking doctor or nutritionist about eating according to glycemic index. Maybe carrots or other foods high on that list are causing a spike in insulin, which makes people hold onto weight. Not an expert though or super knowledgable. May be worth investigating though.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Since you are diabetic, I am wondering if you would see more progress eating a lower amount of carbs. I have PCOS (linked to insulin resistance) which is helped by eating a lower than average amount of carbs. I'm not saying go super low carb but I would probably experiment by switching to something like a 40/30/30 ratio rather than 50/25/25 for a few weeks, just to see if it helps.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't bother weighing stuff either. I would note, however, that meat isn't usually portioned out into serving sizes. A package of chicken breasts, for example, might have ten servings, but only four chicken breasts.
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Fugley01 wrote: »
    I've had days where my exercise has added 300 plus calories that I can eat and I don't eat them back. I don't have a food scale and frankly can't be bothered weighing everything. I'm not a soda drinker and rarely even drink fruit juice as I would rather just eat fruit.
    What I'm eating now is probably at least one third of what I would have normally eaten if not trying to loose weight. I have eaten more fruit and vegetables in the last three weeks than I did in the previous year. I also avoid sweets and any evening snacks
    I did take measurements about a week and a half ago for the first time. Maybe it's worth taking them again.
    I have free access to a dietician so maybe I'll call and make an appointment.

Honestly, I think it takes less time to weigh than to measure, or to try to guess at what the measurement would be, if I had measured. You literally just... set the item down. And scales are not terribly expensive.

Even if your current no loss turns out to be water retention or something, it will matter eventually. You will get slimmer, and your deficit will be smaller, and any errors (that you don't know you're making) will wipe it right out.

Also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU
  • Fugley01
    Options
    All our meals with chicken are cooked with two breasts to feed a family of four. The amount I get May be 3/4 of a breast.
    I have almost completely cut out cheese and only use skim milk. I try to stir fry veggies with most meals. My red meat comsumption is 1/4-1/3 less than before.
    I have Reset my carbs to 25% for the next week to see if that helps but will have to really watch my blood sugars.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Fugley01 wrote: »
    All our meals with chicken are cooked with two breasts to feed a family of four. The amount I get May be 3/4 of a breast.
    I have almost completely cut out cheese and only use skim milk. I try to stir fry veggies with most meals. My red meat comsumption is 1/4-1/3 less than before.
    I have Reset my carbs to 25% for the next week to see if that helps but will have to really watch my blood sugars.

If this is based on what I wrote above, I meant 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein. I was thinking that you were at 50% carbs now so I was suggesting a small decrease. It's totally up to you, obviously, but I like to start with small changes when possible.

• Fugley01
    Options
    I have come down a pound in the last week:) I started by lowering my carbs but also consume most of them early in the day. On days I do weights, I'll add a few extra carb (Bran bar) and a protein shake 1hour before I workout. I'm also getting in a minimum of 20 flights of stairs daily and 10,000 steps at least 5 days a week.
    My arms, legs, back and shoulders are starting to get bigger as judging by how my clothes are fitting.
    My glucose levels have never been as stable as they are now so I think I will stick to this routine for a couple more weeks just to be sure. I've also upped my amount of sleep from 4-5hrs/night to 6-7/hrs.
    Been doing a lot of research on the effects of sleep quality/quantity on things such as weight loss, diabetes and testosterone levels. What an eye opener.
    My wife has seen my progress and has downloaded the myfitnesspal app as well.