Homemade protein meal replacement shakes

Options
Hello everyone :)

I am new here and desperately excited to start this new healthy, fit chapter in my life! I just wanted some reviews and advice on using meal replacement shakes?

As of today (Day One on MFP woo!), I am going to be consuming homemade protein shakes as a meal replacement for breakfast and lunch/dinner. A typical shake would consist of the following:
Oatsosimple original sachet
Protein Works: diet whey isolate protein powder
Fresh fruit
Zero calorie syrup
Water and Ice!

This is typically around 250-300 calories. For my actual meal, I will be consuming plenty of vegetables and fish products (I don't eat meat) but not going to be too hard on myself.

Has anyone used shakes before? What were your results?
Thank you!
xxx

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    What's the protein and calorie count and is it worth it

Bear in mind that 170g of 0% Greek Yogurt is around 18g Protein for 93 calories
  • nikkinoellemary
    nikkinoellemary Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

In my own experience, breakfast shakes have been a great way for me to explore healthier eating habits. I have in the past been resistant to eating breakfast and then overdoing it when I finally have an energy crash at lunch. With my morning smoothies I can get a tasty packed punch of the nutrients I need. I personally really like it and it motivates me to get up in the morning so I can have my frozen treat. :)

My advice (from my own experience) would be to keep playing around with them to find out what you like and don't like in your smoothie. It might get boring to have the same thing every day (ingredient wise), so don't be afraid to switch stuff around according to your dietary needs and flavor/texture wants. I regularly switch back and forth between almond and whole milk, use different fruits, or even add yogurt or cereals/granola. Tldr; have fun with it!
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Hi, i usually have a protein shake for breakfast. Its a whey isolate, 70g of frozen berries, 1 3/4 cup water and about 6 cubes of ice. Blending this makes a full glass jar and its thick and filling. Only 170 calories. I like that calories are low and it gives me more leeway throughout the day for additional calories if needed rather than eating a 300 calorie breakfast which still may not have 30g of protein as this protein shake would.
  • FitFlirtyFun92
    FitFlirtyFun92 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    betuel75 wrote: »
    Hi, i usually have a protein shake for breakfast. Its a whey isolate, 70g of frozen berries, 1 3/4 cup water and about 6 cubes of ice. Blending this makes a full glass jar and its thick and filling. Only 170 calories. I like that calories are low and it gives me more leeway throughout the day for additional calories if needed rather than eating a 300 calorie breakfast which still may not have 30g of protein as this protein shake would.

That sounds perfect! Do you drink just one a day? Or do you have regular meals for the rest of the day?
    I find that this mornings shake had me full until about 2pm! So that's pretty good in regards to staying satisfied.
  • crocky64
    crocky64 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I use felt free Greek yogurt 2% milk or water a banana and low fat peanut butter yummy if I do say so. I am also looking at adding just plain protein powder to said mix for post/pre workout
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options

That sounds perfect! Do you drink just one a day? Or do you have regular meals for the rest of the day?
    I find that this mornings shake had me full until about 2pm! So that's pretty good in regards to staying satisfied.

I have a 2nd one in the afternoon an hour or two before going to the gym. But this is at work in a shaker so i use cinnamon or PB2 peanut butter powder to change the flavor a little. I may then have another protein shake after the gym. I have a nonfat geek yogart for mid morning, full lunch and full dinner.
  • peterjens
    peterjens Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have a smoothie a couple times a week. I cut my ripe (peeled) bananas in half and put them in a ziplock bag and store them in the freezer. I put one scoop of chocolate protein powder, 3/4 cup skim milk, 1/2 frozen banana and 1/4 cup wheat bran in my Ninja single blender container. Makes a nice thick smoothie. Sometimes I put in 2 T of yogurt for the bacteria and sometimes I get crazy and put in one leaf of kale just because I can hide the taste of it and I know that it is good for me (and the calories are minimal).

Check out www and you will find more recipes if you get bored. Just watch the calories because they can get caloric with peanut butter, an extra egg, and whole milk.
  • Heamous
    Heamous Posts: 50 Member
    Options

• Heamous
    Heamous Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Not going to lie but that sounds pretty damn good.