Heart rate during exercise question

Options
I don't have the modern equipment at home with all the bells and whistles. I jump on and it tells me: time, speed, distance and calories. I know the calories are just an estimate so I figure out my calories burned by entering my age, weight, heart rate, and duration into a formula I got off the website. If I'm on the treadmill for 45 minutes to an hour. How often should I check my heart rate during that time?

What I've been doing so far is checking it at: 0min., 2min. to 5min, 15min, 30min, and so on in 15min increments. And I get the average off of that.

Replies

• wesleepuntilthesungoesdown
    Options
    thats probably good enough, do you notice that your heart rate generally gets higher towards the end?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Question - why do you want to know your HR?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I think she needs it for the formula she wants to use to figure her calories burned.

OP - I don't think it is really necessary. Walking is fairly well established in terms of energy requirements. With distance and time alone you should be able to get a fairly reliable estimate.
  • sijomial
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

I think she needs it for the formula she wants to use to figure her calories burned.

OP - I don't think it is really necessary. Walking is fairly well established in terms of energy requirements. With distance and time alone you should be able to get a fairly reliable estimate.

That's why I was asking. It could be for zone training or for tracking progress as other options.
    If just for calorie estimates then agree it's a waste of effort.
    Options
    someone running for a hour with a HR of 100 will burn a significantly less than someone with a HR of 180 - and will depend on their weight, why is it waste of effort? or am I missing something?
  • sijomial
    Options
    someone running for a hour with a HR of 100 will burn a significantly less than someone with a HR of 180 - and will depend on their weight, why is it waste of effort? or am I missing something?

Yes!
    There will be enormous differences in HR between individuals. You can't measure energy (calories) in heart beats.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options

No. That is not necessarily correct.

Assuming both weigh the same and run at the same pace, distance, course, they will burn the same calories. The fitter individual will have a lower HR and the perceived effort will be easier but the energy requirement will be virtually the same.
    The fitter individual has a higher VO2 max. Ideally you want a HRM that will allow you to adjust for VO2 max

HR is not directly related to calorie burn. There is a known correlation between HR and VO2 mad during steady state cardio that allows for and estimation to be made regarding calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • cb2bslim
    cb2bslim Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    This is for calories burned. I cannot do a lot of exercises such as jogging. It jars my spine after a few strides. I don't know what zone training is nor will I ever. I'm trying to get healthy by exercising and eating well. I never exercised I was 1 BMI point away from being obese. I've lost 11 pounds in 25 days obviously it is not a waste of effort! There are a lot of health websites with this HR formula to find out calories burned. Thank you Wesleepuntilthesungoesdown for your helpful information :) . For the rest of you, now I know to stay away from this message board. I didn't think was it was a ridiculous question.
  • 3dogsrunning
    edited March 2015
    Options
    cb2bslim wrote: »
    This is for calories burned. I cannot do a lot of exercises such as jogging. It jars my spine after a few strides. I don't know what zone training is nor will I ever. I'm trying to get healthy by exercising and eating well. I never exercised I was 1 BMI point away from being obese. I've lost 11 pounds in 25 days obviously it is not a waste of effort! There are a lot of health websites with this HR formula to find out calories burned. Thank you Wesleepuntilthesungoesdown for your helpful information :) . For the rest of you, now I know to stay away from this message board. I didn't think was it was a ridiculous question.

Woah. That wasn't necessary. No one said it was a ridiculous question. I was answering you genuinely and trying to be helpful.

Perhaps staying away is a good idea if nice answers upset you.
  • ColoradoMadManLpTp
    ColoradoMadManLpTp Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sigh, but you did feel the need to add one final zinger to cb, so in the end you wern't so nice.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Bye Felicia! Best wishes in all your health and fitness goals
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    Sounds like somebody's hangry.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Go eat jing OP, you sound hangry......
  • sijomial
    edited March 2015
    Options

No-one said it was ridiculous! Suggest you go back and read the responses again.

No-one said exercise you are doing is a waste of time or effort. What was said is that monitoring your HR to estimate calorie burn for walking is a waste of your time. So both me and @3dogsrunning are trying to help you!

Enter your time and speed into the MFP database (or another online calculator with time, distance, weight) and you will get a reasonable calorie estimate. Simple as that. And likely more accurate than going with HR as base for your estimates.

• 3dogsrunning
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sigh, but you did feel the need to add one final zinger to cb, so in the end you wern't so nice.

@ColoradoMadManLpTp
    No, it wasn't a zinger. It was genuine advice. A lot of posts get a variety of responses, some nice, some not so nice. Not everyone is going to agree with you, not everyone holds back. This post got nothing but nice answers. If this upset her that bad she would probably get even more upset by other threads. It really is a good idea to stay away if she isn't prepared for the negative as well.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

HR is an indicator of the effort going on to burn the calories, it's not what's driving it.

The oxygen used to burn the calories is moved around by the heart, and the volume of oxygen required is predicated on fitness.

So someone someone who is fit can burn the same volume of calories with less oxygen, therefore a lower heart rate.
    Options

Assuming both weigh the same and run at the same pace, distance, course, they will burn the same calories. The fitter individual will have a lower HR and the perceived effort will be easier but the energy requirement will be virtually the same.
    The fitter individual has a higher VO2 max. Ideally you want a HRM that will allow you to adjust for VO2 max

HR is not directly related to calorie burn. There is a known correlation between HR and VO2 mad during steady state cardio that allows for and estimation to be made regarding calories.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Hi 3dogs, my statement was based on time - no distance, pace, course or other mentioned.

• 3dogsrunning
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi 3dogs, my statement was based on time - no distance, pace, course or other mentioned.

Yes, but I answered you in relation to the question asked.
    It would be misleading and confusing to say yes, someone with a higher heartrate over a period of time will burn more calories because there are other factors to consider. The rest of the data is relevent.
    Options

Yes, but I answered you in relation to the question asked.
    It would be misleading and confusing to say yes, someone with a higher heartrate over a period of time will burn more calories because there are other factors to consider. The rest of the data is relevent.

me too, she said 45 minutes to 1 hour (not 1 mile or 5 miles?)