Help! Beginner Status!

I have been off and on myfitness pal for a couple of years. I am wanting to start a beginner exercise plan, to start me on the right path. What can I do to make a fitness plan that won't hurt me to bad since its been awhile since I have regularly exercised. I have a elliptical that I get on from time to time but I am wanting something more that I can add with that, but I hope to do it every day. I live out in the country and would like to walk more but stray animals keep me from walking more. LOL Silly I know, but there have been several pit bull attacks around my area, and bear sightings. Any info is appreciated. I also have issues with my shoulders being stiff, and a problem with my rotator cuff so exercises that would possibly help me there would be beneficial. Feel free to send me a friend request if you think you can help me.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I started out by walking 3x/wk. Then I added in this bodyweight workout on other days. I guarantee that you have everything you need to do it in your home--no need to buy any equipment. When I started that, I did it a couple of times a week and I only did two circuits. Also, I didn't do all of the reps in the beginning (I think I start with 5-6 lunges and even doing that was a stretch.) Gradually, I added reps and added a third circuit. Eventually I moved on to more and different exercise but the NF BBWW was a great place for me to start, as I was quite out of shape. I would suggest warming up a bit first (5-10 minutes on your elliptical at an easy speed) and then stretching a bit (I used these stretches) before doing the workout. I used to also repeat those stretches afterward.
  • terbusha
    terbusha Posts: 1,483 Member
    I have done all of my exercise at home with DVD-based fitness programs. They work really great if you complement them with a healthy diet. There is a program that just came out called P90 that is made for beginners. You should check it out, if that is something that interests you.