smoothies

Options
Jenniferstone86
Jenniferstone86 Posts: 18 Member
I'm looking for some smoothie inspiration! I need to add more fruits to my diet as well as yogurt. Something filling to hold me until lunch is ideal. If you have had success with smoothies I would love to hear your story.

Thank you!

Replies

• cngareau
    cngareau Posts: 1
    Options
    I have made this and its filling: kale (few handfulls), pineapple, kiwi, greek yogurt, banana, milk (I use unsweetened almond) with a bit of matcha tea. Kept me full and taste good.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie right now is:

1frozen banana
    1/2 c. pineapple (fresh or frozen)
    1/2 c. greek yogurt
    1/4 c. coconut milk
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tbsp wheat germ

Yummy and filling!
  • jennamae102
    jennamae102 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    This is my go to:

1 cup almond milk
    1/2 cup orange juice
    1 banana
    1/2 cup greek yogurt
    1 cup frozen berries
    fill blender to the top with spinach

This makes 2 servings for me at ~190 calories each!
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I love this...use it as a base and modify it as you go. You really get some good fruits & veggies in this way and don't even know it.

1 c. unsweetened almond milk
    1/2 c. nonfat vanilla yogurt
    1 frozen banana
    2 T. PB2 (powdered peanut butter)
    3 cups spinach

Add all ingredients to blender & blend. Easy as pie.
  • drajbirbal
    drajbirbal Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Cherry banana Nutella smoothie:
    • 3/4 cup pitted frozen cherries
    • 1/2 frozen banana
    • 3/4 cup unsweetend almond milk
    • 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
    • 1/2 Tbsp Nutella hazelnut spread
    • ice

Only 265 calories for 24 oz cup. Fills me up until lunch.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pinterest is a good place to look. I'm also a fan of the blog, Simple Green Smoothies. I've tried several of their recipes, and I've modified their Beginners' Luck recipe with organic kale, protein powder, and other add-ins as my daily green smoothie. The girls are about to start a 30-day green smoothie challenge in April, if that interests you. You'll have a different smoothie everyday, or if you're cheap like me, just make the same one or two smoothies everyday, and then change it up for the next week.

I kicked off my lifestyle change with a two-week smoothie fast with green smoothies. I had a 500 calorie protein smoothie in the morning, followed by a healthy meal full of protein, greens, and quinoa, and had another smoothie (sans protein powder) for dinner. I could only do it for two weeks, and purely did it out of frustration with my weight. I lost about 12 lbs., and have kept it off, but only because I used that time to research what my next steps should be and find resources to help me change my habits. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, unless they're already familiar with meal replacement smoothies and what they'll need to do once the "fast" is over and done.

Now, I just have a green protein smoothie in the mornings, and it's the bee's knees. It's helped me kick my coffee habit, increased my water and produce intake, and increased my energy. I've been a fan of smoothies for years, but it wasn't until the fast that I learned how to make them more satisfying and nutritious. I hate eating anything before 11:00 a.m., but the smoothies make it simple.
  • brideau74
    brideau74 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Like Jennismagic said Pinterest has a ton of smoothie recipes...

Here is mine. It makes 6 cups and I divide into three 2 cup portions. According to MFP it is 299 calories for 1 Serving (2 cups). I actually scanned the bags of frozen fruit, milk and protein powder.

I have one serving for breakfast and the other 2 I freeze for the next couple of days and take to work with me. By mid morning, it is thawed enough to stir and drink.

1scoop of vanilla whey protein
    1 cup of frozen strawberries
    1 cup of frozen blueberries
    1 cup of frozen raspberries
    1 cup of mango or pineapple or peaches (or I take 1 cup of a mixture of these fruits)
    1 banana
    3.5 cups of milk

Sometimes I will add in a kiwi or apricots. Othertimes I won't have raspberries so I will put more of something else in it.

The milk is the bulk of the calories.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options

If you like gingerbread, Oxygen magazine has a recipe for a delicious Gingerbread cookie shake: 1/2 scoop vanilla protein powder, 1/2 scoop chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup vanilla enriched Rice Dream, 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt, 1/2 tsp ginger, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 T molasses, and ice cubes. Blend and drink ! Mmmmmm

I also like a Creamsicle, which is a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of vanilla protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat vanilla yogurt. Blend and drink.

The Protein Packed Pina Colada smoothie is blended with the following ingredients: Cup cottage cheese, cup canned pineapple or cup pineapple juice, half a frozen banana, half a cup of milk, 1 T coconut, half a scoop vanilla protein powder, and a cup of ice cubes.

The Key Lime Protein Shake is blended with half an avocado, juice of a lime, 2 tsp lime zest, 1 scoop of vanilla whey protein powder, 1 T coconut, a cup of milk, and 1-2 packets of Stevia (optional).

The Chocolate Maple Shake is made by blending a cup of milk, 3 T protein powder, 1 T cocoa powder, and 1 tsp maple syrup

Last but not least, for a change, I blend a cup of orange juice (I get the Healthy kids kind with extra calcium and vitamins), half a scoop of chocolate protein powder (I’ve been getting spirulina), and a lowfat coffee yogurt. Also good!