Virgin Coconut Oil

Options
I've been hearing all this hype about virgin coconut oil. Apparently it cuts fat and reduces hunger. Does anyone regularly take virgin coconut oil, and if so, what kind of results have you seen? I've read that it also lowers cholesterol, which is a good benefit for me since my bad cholesterol is borderline. Let me know your thoughts!

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I've been hearing all this hype about virgin coconut oil. Apparently it cuts fat and reduces hunger. Does anyone regularly take virgin coconut oil, and if so, what kind of results have you seen? I've read that it also lowers cholesterol, which is a good benefit for me since my bad cholesterol is borderline. Let me know your thoughts!

What do you mean by it "cuts fat"? It is fat. Not that fat is a bad thing.

I don't "take" coconut oil, but I do use it fairly often when preparing meals (it's great for roasting vegetables). It's delicious and satisfying. I eat a lot of different things, so I haven't seen any results that I can attribute to the coconut oil.
  • ThisGirlWins
    ThisGirlWins Posts: 64 Member
    Options

I don't know about the 'cutting fat' thing but I use it because it's versatile and can take cooking at high temperatures. I like roasting veg in it and I use it on my skin and hair...it's really moisturising :D
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

It does not have any real benefits, other than being a healthy and versatile oil to use in cooking (as well as olive oil). All the hype about coconut oil right now is weird and unfounded. If you do decide to "take" it for whatever reason, be sure and account for the calories in it. If it puts you over your maintenance calories you will still gain weight, no matter how "healthy" it is.
  • jessicamae0731
    Options
    It seems like there's always some new marketed way to lose weight, and none of them ever turn out to be true. I've been reading all of these things online about how taking so much a day helps to reduce body fat. It was the same thing when garcinia cambogia was in the spotlight. I wanted to make sure before I got any ideas about it. I have noticed, though, that there are about 100 different uses for coconut oil. I would have never thought to use it for dry skin. Shows how behind I am on things lol.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It seems like there's always some new marketed way to lose weight, and none of them ever turn out to be true. I've been reading all of these things online about how taking so much a day helps to reduce body fat. It was the same thing when garcinia cambogia was in the spotlight. I wanted to make sure before I got any ideas about it. I have noticed, though, that there are about 100 different uses for coconut oil. I would have never thought to use it for dry skin. Shows how behind I am on things lol.

I made a sugar scrub with with it and put it in cute little jars and handed them out to my friends for Christmas :smile:

It makes your hands feel so smooth!

*Edited to add that if you want to use it as a moisturizer on your face, patch test first. It is comedogenic for many people and can cause breakouts.
  • jessicamae0731
    Options

I made a sugar scrub with with it and put it in cute little jars and handed them out to my friends for Christmas :smile:

It makes your hands feel so smooth!

*Edited to add that if you want to use it as a moisturizer on your face, patch test first. It is comedogenic for many people and can cause breakouts.

That's a fantastic idea! :)