Decent results with home workouts?

Options
Hi all

I'm not able to join a gym at the moment so wondered if I could get decent results without one? I used to run and was pretty slim then - slowly getting back to it after a few years out - so know that's a start. I've got resistance tubes and light weights at home. Anything else I can do? I love the results heavy lifting gives :(

Replies

• MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Bump as I too am interested in the outcome of working out at home...
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Claire_x90
    Claire_x90 Posts: 94
    Options
    jillian michaels work outs have always been a great base of exercise for me. ripped in 30 in particular but also 30 day shred and shred it with weights...
    P90X i've heard great things about but I know for myself committing to everyday for 90 days just seems too overwhelming, whereas committing three separate times to 30 days isn't bad at all LOL

*edit - some can be found on youtube and illegal torrent download sites :)
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Go on Youtube, there's all sorts of workouts on there that are free and can be done at home. Personally I like to use Blogilates but it depends what you're after. You don't need a gym to get fit.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    there are loads of people on here who have got amazing results from insanity!
  • skinnyme444
    Options
    Hi, my name is Rebecca

I quit my gym because I discovered Jillian Michaels!

First try the shred, this is what I described below! You can get most of ehr DVDs for free online but unless you have a smart tv or somewhere good to place your laptop and it has a big screent then I recommebed buying her box set!

The 30 day shred is from Jillian Micahels and its only 25 mins long! I think all 3 levels are on youtube for free but I have the DVD. I got a box set of hers for around £20 on Amazon - well worth the buy! I have some hand weights too, you will need these (1kg-3kg), I had never used weight before so I had to start with 1kgs.

Each level is comprised of a 25 minute work out, 5 minute warm up, 3 6 minute circuits and a 5 minute cool down.

3 mins strength
    2 minutes cardio
    1 minute abs

You will do 2 moves in each set, so for example (circuit 1):

3 minutes strength - 30 seconds of pushups, 1 minute of squat with a shoulder press (a squat whilst lifting your handweights straight up) and then repeat. one more time
    2 mintutes cardio - 30 seconds of jumping jacks (star jumps) and 30 seconds of jump rope and then repeat one more time.
    1 minutes abs - 30 second basic crunch and then 30 second reverse crunch.

Level 1 - 10 days
    Level 2 - 10 days
    Level 3 - 10 days

It sounds horrible and daunting, especially strength ebcause I never focused on upper body because I was so bad but trust me, you will be so much happier, stronger, more confident and more toned come the end!

Started 30 day shred on 1st April:

CW: 151.75 LBS

Waist - 30 inches
    thighs - 23 1/2 inches
    Arms - 12 icnhes
    Below Belly button - 36 inches
    Chest - 34 inches
    Calves -14 1/2 inches

Half-way point - 15th April

CW: 148.75 LBS

Waist - 28 inches
    thighs - 23 inches
    Arms - 11 icnhes
    Below Belly button - 33.5 inches
    Chest - 33.5 inches
    Calves -14 inches

END - 3rd May

CW: 146.8lbs
    Waist - 26.5 inches
    thighs - 22 inches
    Arms - 10.5 icnhes
    Below Belly button - 32 inches
    Chest - 32 inches
    Calves -14 inches

All in all, give it a go! I've tried a few times and failed but I told myself no, I will do this! Took 2 days off because I just couldn't do it, my body needed a break. Do it 5 times a week if you want and walk the other 2. I started walking to and from work on level 3, 4 miles a day and then doing some of her no more trouble zones circuits (mostly for toning and also available on youtube for FREE).

Oh, and one last thing. You may not see a huge scale movement so the key is to measure, inches will be the greater loss here. Who cares what you weigh if you look good and toned, I think thats something everyone needs to work on in believing more, inlcuding myself.

Log the shred as 25 minutes circuits and no more trouble zones as curved circuit training and the length of time will depend on how many circuits you do!

I am so glad I finally finsihed it. Level 3 is crazy but you don't get bored and you feel amazing after it.

Any questions :-)?

xx
  • tmuellenberg
    tmuellenberg Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I've had really good results with home workouts and there is plenty you can do. I ended up losing almost 35 lbs and would say I'm in better shape than I ever was going to the gym all the time.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Lost 27 pounds in 90 days doing P90X.
  • pzjd09
    pzjd09 Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello! I workout at home because it is just easiest for me. I have gotten good results by doing various exercise programs. I own several dvd programs (ie..Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, P90X, etc) and I also do exercises that I have found online through Fitnessblender.com and Youtube. I also throw in some tennis and walking. To me, it's not where you exercise, but how much commitment you are willing to put into it, and of course, watching the calories. So far, I have lost a total of 16 lbs just by working out at home. This number includes before me joining MFP. So yes, I think it is possible to get results by doing home workouts.
  • Carhic
    Carhic Posts: 3
    Options
    Whoop! Thanks all - that's what I wanted to hear. Think 30 day shred sound like it'll be a good starting point (thanks Skinnyme - really helpful post)!
  • mom2dzbnwe
    mom2dzbnwe Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Rebecca

I quit my gym because I discovered Jillian Michaels!

First try the shred, this is what I described below! You can get most of ehr DVDs for free online but unless you have a smart tv or somewhere good to place your laptop and it has a big screent then I recommebed buying her box set!

The 30 day shred is from Jillian Micahels and its only 25 mins long! I think all 3 levels are on youtube for free but I have the DVD. I got a box set of hers for around £20 on Amazon - well worth the buy! I have some hand weights too, you will need these (1kg-3kg), I had never used weight before so I had to start with 1kgs.

Each level is comprised of a 25 minute work out, 5 minute warm up, 3 6 minute circuits and a 5 minute cool down.

3 mins strength
    2 minutes cardio
    1 minute abs

You will do 2 moves in each set, so for example (circuit 1):

3 minutes strength - 30 seconds of pushups, 1 minute of squat with a shoulder press (a squat whilst lifting your handweights straight up) and then repeat. one more time
    2 mintutes cardio - 30 seconds of jumping jacks (star jumps) and 30 seconds of jump rope and then repeat one more time.
    1 minutes abs - 30 second basic crunch and then 30 second reverse crunch.

Level 1 - 10 days
    Level 2 - 10 days
    Level 3 - 10 days

It sounds horrible and daunting, especially strength ebcause I never focused on upper body because I was so bad but trust me, you will be so much happier, stronger, more confident and more toned come the end!

Oh, and one last thing. You may not see a huge scale movement so the key is to measure, inches will be the greater loss here. Who cares what you weigh if you look good and toned, I think thats something everyone needs to work on in believing more, inlcuding myself.

Log the shred as 25 minutes circuits and no more trouble zones as curved circuit training and the length of time will depend on how many circuits you do!

I'm Rebekah, and I 100% endorse this post!! :) I've lost a total of 46lbs in 3 months without setting foot in a gym. Jillian Michaels makes me want to punch her in the face, but she absolutely gets results!!! I do 30 day shred almost every day (didn't miss a day for the first 30) and I've added walking (4-4.5 mph for 45 minutes) several times a week as well, just to burn more cals. It's less than 30 minutes, so even though I'm busy, and feel like I'm gonna die sometimes, I can push through for 25 minutes! Save that gym membership $$$, and workout in your living room!! You can do it!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Body weight strength training! You can get incredible results

nerdfitness
    globalbodyweight
    uniquebodyweightexercises
    Bar Brothers DC
    You are your own gym
  • neverwhich
    Options
    I lost 30lbs using the Wii Fit, a while back. It's a question of commitment, really - as long as you're putting in the time and effort, it doesn't matter WHERE you're doing it. :-)
  • MrsGraves1987
    MrsGraves1987 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I keep trying to do the shred, but I get bored of doing the same thing every day. I wish I had more willpower!

I want to lose another 8 lbs before the end of July, and ideally 15lbs before September. I know it's not much, but I know my downfall is exercise.

I intermittent fast which I find absolutely fine, and basically eat something small at lunch and a massive meal for dinner - I do try and stay in my macros - but I've set myself at 1300 and it's easy to go over if you don't exercise I know.

I'm going to start the 30day shred again, maybe if I feel bored I'll try a different one for a bit. I also want a routine to lift at home. I joined stronglifts, but I don't have weights that heavy yet. I have one dumbell which is 20kg, and a set of dumbells which are 2.5kg, 5kg and 8kg - but I know these may not be heavy enough.

If anyone can think of a routine for me - as I've tried and as I don't have much knowledge of working out I'm rubbish at setting up a routine that I'll enjoy and I'll actually see results.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I've gotten great results working out at home. I switch up doing different DVDs: 30 Day shred, Leslie Sansone Walking DVD, a few off of fitnessblender. Plus I ride my stationary bike at least 10 miles 4 times a week. Also nerdfitness beginner body weight program.

I like to change it up so I don't get bored with one workout, but there are so many different options find something you enjoy.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have a decent size DVD library at home and rotate through them, as I get bored easily. I have a few kettlebell workouts, I have JM (I'm not her biggest fan), yoga DVDs, pilates DVDs and various others. I really like Jackie Warner. She gets my heart rate up there without having to do burpees. Her plateu buster is a really good workout.

You can also get many workout dvds from your local library. I often will try something there and if i like it enough, I'll buy it from Amazon or collage video (http://www.collagevideo.com/). Collage is good because you can read a lot of reviews and they let you return a DVD if you don't like it.
  • mrsek09
    mrsek09 Posts: 32
    Options
    About 13 years ago, I lost 70 lbs using light hand weights (ie. 3/5/8 lbs) using a few different books by Joyce Vedral and changing my diet. (Bathing suit Workout, Definition, Fat Burning Workout, and Bottoms Up)

She has some videos on the market, but I personally preferred her books. Think of it this way, if a 60 year old woman can be skinny with great muscle definition: so can anyone!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I have not set foot in a gym in years.. I walk a lot, do on line Barre3 and Wii Fit Yoga. The key is to treat it as important as brushing your teeth, getting enough sleep.

A lot of us on MFP use tracking devices like the Fitbit, Ups or Nike fuel bands or even a pedometer ... I am queen of the 10 to 30 minute walk, yoga or barre 3 session. I am on year two of my healthy lifestyle commitment and it really makes it fun to get a mindset of "training" every day. I think every step I take helps maintain/improve my fitness, and will make weekends and vacations fun because I feel like I still have a high energy level ( I am 54 and don't want to become a "shuffler").

That being said, I think you tube has a cudzillion free workout videos so go for it.

ps, for the record, I lost 46 pounds in 2012 and weigh less than I did when I graduated from high school!
  • prjoy98
    prjoy98 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    All the weight I have lost has been using home workouts. I am currently paying for a gym membership for my husband and I and in the last two months we have given them $80 for free....soon to be cancelled.
    You can totally do it at home for 1/2 the cost!

if you need supporters feel free to friend me
    Good Luck !
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    As you can see from my ticker I've been very successful doing home workouts. I started out doing various Jillian Michaels DVDs, then thanks to MFP discovered Be Fit and Fitness Blender on Youtube (even figured out a way to download them onto my computer so I don't need the internet), then I did the Turbo Fire 20 week program. Now I'm focusing on strength training, and came up with a program combining Be Fit and Fitness Blender strength training workouts 3 days/week and Turbo Fire & Jillian Michaels for my cardio 3 days/week. At first I did not spend a lot of money, but a couple of months ago I did splurge (somewhat) and bought a bunch of heavier dumbbells.