4 Gym Machines That Need to Die

Options
Packerjohn
Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
Nice article by a Doctor of Physical Therapy;

Spoiler, the machines are seated ab crunch, seated back extension, seated hip abductor/adductor and seated ab rotation machine:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/4-gym-machines-that-need-to-die

Replies

• shreddedtrooper
    shreddedtrooper Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    In a world full of seats..I choose to stand lol

I'll have to read this article
  • jtabiolo
    jtabiolo Posts: 50
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Nice article by a Doctor of Physical Therapy;

Spoiler, the machines are seated ab crunch, seated back extension, seated hip abductor/adductor and seated ab rotation machine:

https://www.t-nation.com/training/4-gym-machines-that-need-to-die

Actually those machines gave me all kinds of gainz!
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I thought the Smith Machine would be at the top of this list :)
  • punchgut
    punchgut Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »

They're great for seated OP. If one does that. Also, Aussie pull ups.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I tend to disagree with the use of most machines anyway, as most of the time the people I see using them don't appear to know anything about form and probably are not doing anything to train the stabilizer muscles those machines are missing. Interesting read.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    glevinso wrote: »
    same here
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    lili61 wrote: »
    I tend to disagree with the use of most machines anyway, as most of the time the people I see using them don't appear to know anything about form and probably are not doing anything to train the stabilizer muscles those machines are missing. Interesting read.

Agreed... Right now I am the strongest I've ever been in my life and it's been probably 5+ years since I've touched any machine.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    One of my gyms has none of these machines and my smaller work gym does have the hip machine but it doesn't exist to me! Lol.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I like the seated hip abductor machine, but I use it specifically to strengthen a couple of stabilizer muscles for my right hip. It has a tendency to rotate out of socket. I know I'm working those muscles because they cramp like a you-know-what when they tire towards end of the sets. When I can do all of my sets and reps without issue, then I increase the weight for next time.

The lateral lunge he suggests doesn't get them nearly as well, and the standing hip abductor machine makes me rotate the hip out of socket to use it.

Edited: grammar
  • joepratt503
    joepratt503 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I use adductor all the time...helps my hips and fixed my squat knee cave issue.