Stair Climbing is making my legs bigger!

Hello! So I live in a 35 floor high rise and climb 35 flights of stairs 3-4x a week for cardio, and lift 2-3x a week plus some yoga/pilates. Ever since I've been doing the stairs, my legs and butt are becoming all muscle - but are physically bigger so now all my pants are feeling pretty snug. Any advice? perhaps if I stick to it the weight will start coming off my upper body and everything will become more balanced? It's a great workout, I find it way better than running or the treadmill.

Replies

• FitnessTrainer69
    FitnessTrainer69 Posts: 283 Member
    Keep climbing. I don't see the problem here. lol
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Buy bigger pants :)

Eventually the fat will come off of all of the places where you have it in excess. We just can't choose where/when that happens.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Sounds like the body is picking other locations to lose the fat first.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Stretchy pants.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Fat loss comes from what you eat and how much you eat. Building muscle mass is awesome, but if you’re seeing substantial muscle mass gains, you have to ask yourself, am I really eating at a deficit? At any rate, keep walking up the stairs. You’ll live longer for it.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Congrats!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited March 2015
    Weight loss is about diet, not exercise. Make sure your calorie intake is in check.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Enjoy your awesomely sculpted gams, is what. For clothes, wear dresses, leggings, and yah stretchy pants.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    That's around 1000 steps right?

We have a "thousand stairs" here in Laguna Beach. It wore me out when I first ran them. I felt so accomplished. And then some trainer couple told me it was really only 225 steps! Wa-wa. So now I run the bleachers at the local highschool (over 1000 steps). And, one day, I'll see those trainers again as I prance up and down while singing. :smile:

It's the best workout! And you can climb steps in so many different ways. You are so lucky! Your body is going to be awesome if it isn't already.
  • jira101
    jira101 Posts: 3
    Thanks everyone! hmm I will stick to the stairs because it feels awesome and keep the calories in check, I was just wondering why instead of dropping pounds, my legs are getting more bulky ;)
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Weight loss is about diet, not exercise. Make sure your calorie intake is in check.

^^ This is why.