Vitamin/Mineral absorption

Options
Grimmerick
Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
Anybody worry about this? I just learned that depending on what combinations you eat, you might be blocking out certain vitamins and minerals by ingesting others with them. Feel like I am playing nutritional whack a mole here, trying to get 100% of what I need without some vits/min blocking others. Example Iron and calcium block some of each others absorptions, coffee and alcohol blocks absorption as well. They say don't take your Multi with your coffee. Anybody else have any good info?

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Options
    come on lol this can be important stuff here, we can learn from each other.........I know you all are out there, I can see you posting on other topics.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    somebody? Anybody? little lonely over here
  • neaneacc
    neaneacc Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It might be weird, but I take my multivitamin before bed with a full glass of water. With dinner time between 5-6 and betime at 11 ish I feel like I get the best benefits by doing this. However, I started doing this as I take synthroid (thyroid meds) in the morning and you can't take them together. My doctor also told me that if you take iron with calcium it will block the absorption. I wonder how many people waste their money by mixing and matching things they shouldn't. What a waste....
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    Finally someone lol, thank you! I wonder that myself, how much money am I possibly wasting, that's why I definitely am looking into better vitamin absorption practices.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Honestly, after a discussion with a couple folks who I feel are in the know on a good number of issues like this, it comes down to majoring in the minor.

I wouldn't worry, honestly.
  • Grimmerick
    Options
    I can understand that and for the most part I don't oversweat and most people probably don't have to either, but I am extremely low in Vitamin D, and I don't eat a typical diet. I just worry about the major ones, like Iron, Calcium, Vitamin D etc. Just don't want to find out when it's too late that I wasn't getting something I needed.